Gaming No Man's Sky

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The "would I enjoy No Man's Sky" checklist

No Man's sky is a very curious game. In a way there isn't much game to it, and in another way, it has a staying power with me that rarely any game has ever had, bar Privateer (I was a 12 year old kid... different standards!) and Morrowind (because, it's like really one of the best games ever). I've played almost twice as much NMS in two months than I played Elite:Dangerous for the better part of a year. I've sunk about 150 hours into NMS by now, and it's not letting me go. Curiously, I like it more the more I play it.

But it is a game for a very specific audience, an audience noone has tried to define more closely. Because defining it more closely is really, really tough. So I've made this checklist so people might at least have something to go on.
Basically, the more items on the list you can check, the higher are the chances that you'd like no man's sky. So here goes the...

Would I like No Man's Sky? checklist
I absolutely refuse to take any responsibility if you can check all of the below points and still don't like NMS. It would just go to show that there's even weirder people than me...

1. You like Starflight or games very similar to it, and have been playing them on and off over the years despite the veeeeery outdated graphics (seriously, Dwarf Fortress without tilesets has better graphics than Starflight. Also, the "have been playing them on and off"-part is important. Fond childhood memories are not a reliable indicator for whether you still like something).

2. You like exploration-survival type games like Subnautica, but would give an arm and a leg if you could enjoy the exploration without being constantly on the edge because everything is trying to eat you. A bit of adversity for suspense is great, but let me breathe and look at things for crying out loud!

3. You still don't see a point in above mentioned games having a "creative mode", because it takes all the reward out of the exploration, and building stuff doesn't do it for you.

4. When you first played Morrowind, you promptly ignored all the sage advice about teleportation and stylt striders and without hesitation took the scenic route from Seyda Neen to Balmora. Lots of bonus points if you left Seyda Neen heading for the unknown wilderness and let Balmora take care of itself.

5. When you modded out fast-travel in all subsequent elder scrolls games, because where is the point?

6. When driving the Mako around on unknown planets was one of your favourite things in Mass Effect 1.

7. When the spacial constraints of the Mass Effect Mako maps was a much more annoying issue than the makos driving model.

8. When you think it really, really sucked that there was no Mako driving on unknown planets in Mass Effect 2&3. Like, you can forgive the ending, but not that!

9. When playing Mass Effect, what you really wanted to do all the time was ditch the Normandy, let somebody else deal with the reapers, buy a junky spaceship and just go see places and do stuff in this cool universe.

10. You like games from the "walking simulator" genre like Dear Esther just for the atmosphere they are able to create.

11. When you were playing Noctis for the last decade and by now have named a gazillion stars (no, not me, that one. Not at all in fact. I suck at naming things and find it a waste of time mostly).

12. You like the golden age of scifi as known from publications like "Amazing Stories" with all its art, its pseudo-philosophical and at times pretentious high-concept ideas, its scientific misconceptions and the crazy worlds that resulted from the combination of all those things.

13. When you like games that reward exploration with more exploration instead of narrative payoffs or l00t. NMS features a bit of both, but not in a significant enough way to keep you playing if that is the motivation for your exploration. More like a neat side effect.

14. You like to find things in a game that everybody is claiming aren't there. Not all of those things, but a lot. Bloody hell, the devs must be crazy to make some of that stuff so rare...

Last edited:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/37506501/no-mans-sky-investigated-over-misleading-adverts

Video game No Man's Sky is being investigated by the UK's Advertising Standards Authority after complaints from gamers.
They say that promotional material does not reflect the finished product.
Some of it dates as far back as 2014, but is still being used to promote the game.
The complaints are specifically about the game's Steam page, where players can download the game for their PC.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Queing for a download now, says 3+GB. Can't wait...

Edit:
Its 1.3GB, wait over

N.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
So No man's sky is now a $60, over-hyped early access game? :lol:

At least pretty expensive for the disappointment. I can understand the urge to award a negative award to it.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
At least pretty expensive for the disappointment. I can understand the urge to award a negative award to it.

Yea, it was promised as "YOU CAN DO EVERYTHING! IN SPACE!!!" and what was delivered was "You can fly from planet to planet, while keep having to gather resources to not die."

It's like Minecraft in space, but without Minecraft.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
It's like Minecraft in space, but without Minecraft.

That is Space Engineers. Sadly, the performance of the latest versions is rather poor on my notebook.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yea, it was promised as "YOU CAN DO EVERYTHING! IN SPACE!!!"

Not... exactly, but let's leave it at that for now.

Been starting a new game in survival mode this evening, and so far so dead. Er, good, I mean. Survival mode definitely makes you think about what you're doing, which was one of my major issues with the game.

Sometimes it swaps into "tedious difficulty", i.e. changes that just kind of make it take more time to get ahead, but there's some interesting mechanics at play and planets with a lot less resources is definitely a goodie. Too early to say how it'll hold up with progression, but definitely had fun so far. And died about 3 times more than in my entire previous playtime together.

And they speeded up that engine somewhat fierce. Game ran pretty nicely after 1.09, but now it's a bloody rocket.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Went out exploring on a radioactive planet to get that stuff my base scientist needed to advance his research, which can only be found on radioactive planets. A good walk away from my ship, some of the wildlife around me suddenly took issue, and there were at least four of them (hard to count when you're jetpacking backwards while shooting frantically). This was the first time animals have ganged up on me, and my armory was not quite up to the task, because really, it's not that often you have to contend with things trying to eat you.
All that jetpacking drained up my life support pretty fast, so I had to throw in some thamium on the run. Then the radiation Storm hit.
Never did Arnies legendary words ring truer: GET TO THA CHOPAAAAAAA! Or spaceship. Whatever.

If you like survival/preper games and can put up with a bit of grind, No Man's Sky is now officially fun. Not sure whether it's worth 60 bucks yet, as Subnautica provides a doubtlessly more rounded and streamlined scifi survival experience (though also more hectic - in Subnautica, practically everything tries to eat you all the time), but then again it doesn't have dogfights in space.

Well, they could have released it as Early Access, if it wasn't feature complete previously.

The problem is, they couldn't. PlayStation has a strict "finished games only" policy. Releasing as early access would have meant releasing PC only, which certainly would have been in breach of contract with Sony, who would have sued their asses of.
It is highly likely that Hello Games was facing a financial "release-or-die" scenario back in august because the game took a lot longer to develop than they anticipated. And the contract with Sony prevented any other path than releasing the game as officially finished.

Last edited:

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It's the first time since release that people have been writing positive reviews about the game. Still lots of negative reviews, though, but it seems the trend line is closer to 50-50 now.

Until release of the update, just about everyone that wrote a positive review retracted it or turned it into a negative one.

I still think the game isn't as bad as the reviews suggest. It's a typical indie survival game, but one that collapsed under its own hype.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
though also more hectic - in Subnautica, practically everything tries to eat you all the time

Not really. Sometimes it just wants to make sure you don't eat it, by killing you first.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Not really. Sometimes it just wants to make sure you don't eat it, by killing you first.

Could somebody tell them then that the programmers consider predators inedible, and that they therefore don't have to be afraid of me eating them? It would be a much easier time for all of us... :p

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Could somebody tell them then that the programmers consider predators inedible, and that they therefore don't have to be afraid of me eating them? It would be a much easier time for all of us... :p

Maybe they are afraid of you stealing their teeth. :lol:

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Maybe they are afraid of you stealing their teeth. :lol:

Fine for the stalkers, but the sandsharks are just mean. But maybe we should have a subnautica thread for that one :p

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
My favourite early access game is pulling another patch right now!

You have to hand it to them, they're pushing really hard. I have the feeling that in another 6 months this game is gonna be truly great.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5d5Mo-Gw_U"]No Man’s Sky - NEXT Trailer | PS4 - YouTube[/ame]

jgrillo2002

Conservative Pioneer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I wouldnt get your hopes up. they have known to lie and not give the customers on what they want.