Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
So about a week ago I read about the new Atlas Rises update in No Man's Sky (it's a free update, and this is the third major update since launch), so I reinstalled my No Man's Sky that I had purchased nine months ago on Steam and fired it up: what a difference a year makes! The game is much, much better than when the 1.0 version shipped a year ago -- it looks gorgeous now, and I've been having a blast exploring, trading, mining, doing missions, upgrading my ship, and building a base. By way of comparison, a month after the 1.0 release, only ~30% of the reviews on Steam for it were positive, but now, Steam stats are showing that 80% of 3984 users reviews in the past 30 days for No Man's Sky are positive. :thumbup:

Also, there are a ton of mods for the game on NexusMods (I'm only running a few minor mods) as well as a bunch of content like custom-built bases in the Steam Workshop.

So if you own No Man's Sky but shelved the 1.0 release nine months ago, you might want to try it out again -- it's epic fun now, at least for me!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5328iuzHw-w"]No Man's Sky - Atlas Rises - YouTube[/ame]

Jeorbit

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Interesting. I've been put off by the initial launch, but I was initially very excited by this title, so it might be a good time to give it a try.
Since I've been quite disappointed by Elite:Dangerous (even though I was a fan of the original Elite on ZX Spectrum!), this could end up being a viable alternative.

Well, also a dangerous one for my Orbiter playtime ;) Decisions, decisions...

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Maybe a reason to get it as late birthday present...

But I think I have already too many games in my Steam, especially too many games I can't play when my children are watching. :dry: Luckily there is Orbiter....

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Maybe a reason to get it as late birthday present...
So good that my birthday is at the end of December, right when there's Steam winter sale. I'll maybe get it then. :p

But yes, too many games for which I can spend some time playing only in evenings during weekends.

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Since I've been quite disappointed by Elite:Dangerous (even though I was a fan of the original Elite on ZX Spectrum!), this could end up being a viable alternative.

Yeah, that happened to me, too. Elite: Dangerous was great fun for the first week or two, but then I "hit the wall" where I found that Elite was "a mile wide but only an inch deep". But I'm loving the new No Man's Sky. :)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Yeah, that happened to me, too. Elite: Dangerous was great fun for the first week or two, but then I "hit the wall" where I found that Elite was "a mile wide but only an inch deep". But I'm loving the new No Man's Sky. :)

Same here... It was great for a few weeks and then you noticed: There are other humans in the game too. Far worse: They are teenagers. :lol:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
especially too many games I can't play when my children are watching.

Well, no problem with No Man's Sky there. You might have to shoot the occasional pirate ship, hungry predator or robotic probe (both goreless), otherwise it's just pretty landscapes and animals ranging from impressive to ridiculous.

Unless they can read, at least. The story and lore go to some pretty dark places at times. Though you can avoid that easily while the kids are watching.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Same here... It was great for a few weeks and then you noticed: There are other humans in the game too. Far worse: They are teenagers. :lol:
The worst part for me was that there are some stations that only have a small handful of docking pads, and if they're all occupied by players, the station tells you to go pound sand when you want to dock. Wtf? If you want to make an "MMO," you don't restrict things like that to some small number of people.

Now that Elite has better VR support for the Vive, I should really give it another go. I've also considered No Man's Sky, but I sure as heck am not going to pay $60 for it. Maybe next time it's 50% off...

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Wait, does that "MMO" actually have a single-player mode, or is it server-only?
IIRC it has a single-player mode where you won't run into other players, but things other players have done will still have an effect (dynamic economy, etc).