Question no idea where to start??

jjake101

Reaction score
I am interested in starting to develop addons for Orbiter and was thinking of doing something simple like a payload to get started. But I have no idea where to start. Do i need to do any kind of programming? What modeling program is best to use for Orbiter?

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
The first place to start is to decide what sort of an addon you want to do because the answers to your questions vary depending on what it is you want to develop.

jjake101

Reaction score
I want to make a basic satellite that has 2 extendable solar panels that extend when you press the "K" key. And I want it to be a space shuttle payload

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
first of all you have to get 3d modelling software. There are few that are free to download like gmax, blender or rudimentary anim8or and 2d bitmap editing program to draw textures for your object.

When you have 3d model created you may export it to msh format for orbiter and configure (define parameters and animations) using spacecraft3 module for which you only need notepad.

You can convert sc3 to dll based vessel using Artlav's spacecraft to dll converter which has good feature of creating ready zip package ready for upload on ohm.

---------- Post added at 08:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 PM ----------

Bottom section here covers those topics: http://www.orbiter-forum.com/tutorials.php