General Question New to Orbiter - how to get started?

aeon

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I'm new to orbiter, my first question is how to get started with Orbiter?

Are there any good Apollo, Space Shuttle or ISS Addons with realistic texture Packs etc.? Sorry for my bad english. :(
Greetz
Aeon

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! (and your English is fine!)

To answer you questions, I'll give it a try (these are all just what I use, others may have different opinions.

Apollo, AMSO is my Apollo or choice; it's more of an interaction with the program than a "real" simulation. For more detail there is NASSP; both of these are visually impressive. In addition (for AMSO) there is Beyond Apollo which is a natural extension of Apollo with a lunar base. AND there's a work-in-progress AAPO which is well worth looking into.

ISS, my choice is ISS v3.2 with a companion ISS A-Z. It's outstanding, but be aware that there are a lot of dependent addons needed for it. It's so visually stunning that with the external graphics client and some photo editing software you might fool some people into thinking it's the real thing and not a computer simulation.

Shuttle, one of ISS v3.2 dependencies is Shuttle Fleet (by David413 and can be found at simviation). Many of us use the 'Fleet, but for some hardcore checklist lovers there is Space Shuttle Ultra (SSU). I'm not a user of SSU myself, but there is a team of talented people on the project who can help you if you want to go that route.

Textures... The inline graphics of Orbiter look pretty good, but the DXD9 client takes it to another level. There's also OGLA, but I think DXD9 gets wider use.

Hope this enough to get you started; once again welcome to the forum and happy orbiting!

MikeB

Reaction score
Welcome, aeon! I'm sure you'll find lots of help here.

It is traditional to recommend new orbinauts look at Go Play In Space, a gentle introduction to Orbiter. You can find it at: http://www.orbiterwiki.org/wiki/Go_Play_In_Space

Chapter 9 has some background and pointers to add-ons for Orbiter.

Also, your English is fine.

aeon

Reaction score
Hey,
thank's for your help. I will read "go play in space" and try it out :)

---------- Post added at 04:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 PM ----------

@PhantomCruiser Do you mean this one here? [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3737"]International Space Station v.3.2[/ame]

aeon

Reaction score
How can i create my own scenarios with Space Shuttle, Payload and so on?

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Easy enough to do with a text editor, you'll need to check out the manual as it can explain attachment points. You'll also need to study some existing scenarios to see how the syntax is laid out.

Maybe take a look at the Orbiter Forum Space Station (OFSS), we'd managed to build a pretty good sized station using various modules. It could give you some pretty good reference material. [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4469"]OFSS Mission Pack 31[/ame]

aeon

Reaction score
Thank's for your help:) Are there any german People here which can explain me some things in german about Orbiter?

jroly

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
If you are brand new to Orbiter, I would suggest installing the basic 2010P1 Orbiter.

Then you will need Orbiter sound, Good idea would be to install DGIV & the XR1-XR5 ships as they are better than the standard DG.

Then you should update TransX, get IMFD & afew other MFD's like aerobrake & basesync and then you should be ready to learn beginner to advanced levels.

Look on Youtube for beginner guides, they will be helpful.

Orbiter can be hard to learn, it takes a lot of effort and concentration following guides.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Welcome ! Fly, try things, play around with stuff, and when you feel you're missing something important, search in the doc or on this forum ;)

The "vanilla" DeltaGlider is a good craft to start with, as it is very forgiving and allows you to try a lot of things.

aeon

Reaction score
Hey,
thank's for all your answers! :) Is there any guide on how to make my own Scenario with Shuttle Endeavour, Shuttle Payload, OBSS, LC39 and so on?

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Not that I can recall; you'd need to study the scenarios that come with each addon to figure out what you'd need to change to customize it for you. Just remember to save it as another name, so that you'll always have to original for reference (and as a point to start over if necessary).

Koloss

Weyland-Yutani Corp.
Donator
Reaction score
(English folks: Feel free to skip this post :lol:)

Hi Aeon,

ich bin Deutscher und kann dir gerne weiterhelfen!

Die eigentlich beste Methode, sich Orbiter zu "erarbeiten", ist erstmal der Delta Glider, wahlweise auch der Delta Glider IV (wobei der IV schon komplexer ist).
Der Delta Glider ist recht simpel aufgebaut und auch unzerstörbar, das macht beispielsweise den Wiedereintritt recht einfach.

Am besten liest du dir wirklich "Go play in Space" durch und folgst da einfach den Anleitungen.
Orbiter kann sehr komplex werden, daher würde ich mich an deiner Stelle erstmal an folgende Dinge halten: Fliegen des Delta Glider, Landen, Start in den Orbit und erreichen einer stabilen Umlaufbahn, Wiedereintritt und - auch wenn komplexer - landen auf einer von dir vorher bestimmten Basis.

Schreib mir hier gerne, wenn du Fragen hast.
Wenn du magst, kann ich dir auch gerne meine E-Mail-Adresse geben, dann können wir abseits des Forums schreiben.

Beste Grüße,

Chris

aeon

Reaction score
Hi,
danke für deine Antwort. Hast eine PN :)