New Orbiter SVN commit (r.71, Oct 14 2017)

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Thanks for the detailed analysis!

Regarding the Titan issue: I recently created new textures for Titan in Orbiter2016 format (can be downloaded here) and I realised that I may have inadvertently put the config file for this new texture set into the commit.

Can you try one of the following:
  • replace Config/Titan.cfg with SVN.r73 or earlier (or just remove the lines "TileFormat = 2; CloudFormat = 2; LabelFormat = 2), or
  • Download the .tree files for the new textures and put them into Textures/Titan
If the first of these works, I'll revert the Titan.cfg to the old version for the next commit.

Regarding the Debug/Release conflict: Do I understand correctly that you can no longer do a debug build of your own module if the host Orbiter application is a release build? This seems bizarre. Anyway, I don't see a reason not to provide the debug builds, although I still don't really understand why the new VS version is now so picky about matching build options. Would this only require the debug binaries, or any additional files? The warnings talk about pdb files. Is this where the debug info lives these days? Is the debug information no longer part of the binary? If these additional files are required, it might changing my build system a bit, because at the moment pdb files aren't part of the deployment set.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Thanks for the detailed analysis!

Regarding the Titan issue: I recently created new textures for Titan in Orbiter2016 format (can be downloaded here) and I realised that I may have inadvertently put the config file for this new texture set into the commit.

Can you try one of the following:
  • replace Config/Titan.cfg with SVN.r73 or earlier (or just remove the lines "TileFormat = 2; CloudFormat = 2; LabelFormat = 2), or
  • Download the .tree files for the new textures and put them into Textures/Titan
If the first of these works, I'll revert the Titan.cfg to the old version for the next commit.
Yep, that was it! Both solutions work. :hailprobe:
Small "issue": the shortcut links at the top of the downloads page don't have the link to Titan.
Large issue: when I went to Titan, I happened to end up on the night side and landed at a place below 0m (as displayed on SurfaceMFD), which exposed an problem: the vessels are always illuminated when below 0m altitude. I've confirmed this on the Moon. Should I create a ticket for this?

Regarding the Debug/Release conflict: Do I understand correctly that you can no longer do a debug build of your own module if the host Orbiter application is a release build? This seems bizarre. Anyway, I don't see a reason not to provide the debug builds, although I still don't really understand why the new VS version is now so picky about matching build options. Would this only require the debug binaries, or any additional files?
For SSU that seems to be the case, but I don't about everybody else. And AFAIK, only the libraries would need to match.

The warnings talk about pdb files. Is this where the debug info lives these days? Is the debug information no longer part of the binary? If these additional files are required, it might changing my build system a bit, because at the moment pdb files aren't part of the deployment set.
This link has some info about the .pdb files. At least for the release version, I'd add a 3rd option: no debug info. IMO even for the debug version the debug info is not needed for us devs, as we are not debugging the code in the lib. :shrug: But this might be a PITA for you having to turn that off and on before making the lib public.

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
I've pushed a new commit r.76 which
  • Reverts Titan.cfg to reference the default textures
  • Should fix the lighting problem for vessels below planet reference radius
  • Compiler option change: all release binaries are set to debug info "none", except for orbitersdk.lib, which is compiled with "old style" debug info (/Z7).
The reason orbitersdk.lib is compiled with a different debug setting is because it is compiled with the VS2008 toolset, which doesn't seem to support "none".

I haven't set up the deployment of the debug libraries, but let me know if you get any changes regarding warning when you link against this version.

There is also a new OVP r.64 commit which also addresses the "vessel below planet radius" lighting problem. Also of interest for graphics client developers may be r.63 which fixes a cloud layer render problem when the camera is below the cloud layer.

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
After I've read many pages about this "/MD, /MT, /LD" issue it seems that Microsoft is recommending to publish the lib in all the needed formats...
  • obiterlib.lib (Single-threaded)
  • obiterlibd.lib (Debug Single-threaded)
  • obiterlibmt.lib (Multithreaded)
  • obiterlibrt.lib (Multithreaded using DLL)
  • obiterlibmtd.lib (Debug Multithreaded)
  • orbiterlibrtd.lib (Debug Multithreaded using DLL)
That and you (as the addon developer) have to link against the according lib.

This is neither nice nor convenient ...and why the ONE lib worked with VS2008 remains still a mystery to me.

See also: MS Info on Linker Warning 4098

Still puzzled/disappointed,
Kuddel

---------- Post added at 23:39 ---------- Previous post was at 23:33 ----------

...of course only the really recommended ones (Multithreaded DLL or Multithreaded) should be provided in debug and release versions.
I'm, not sure if you would recommend the Single-threaded linkage at all.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
No issues or compiler/linker warnings on SSU (debug and release) with r76.

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
No issues or compiler/linker warnings on D3D9Client (debug and release) with r76.

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
meshres.exe

Hello Martin,

as you are in the process of migrating to the VS2015 environment, may I ask for some (minor) changes?

meshres.exe is often used in project files by echoing the three parameters into it.
But meshres.exe does not recognize "quoted" paths and only seem to split the input parameters by spaces.
If the 1st parameter (input file) contains spaces, meshres.exe does not recognize the parameters correctly:
Code:
echo %(FullPath) - meshres.h | $(SDKDir)\utils\meshc.exe
will expand e.g. to:
Code:
echo c:\Program Files (x86)\Orbiter\Orbitersdk\samples\DeltaGlider\Meshes\deltaglider.msh - meshres.h | c:\Program Files (x86)\Orbiter\Orbitersdk\utils\meshc.exe
and meshres.exe will not work O.K.

I've changed the project files to make them work:
Code:
[COLOR="Red"]for %%I in ("%(FullPath)") do echo %%~sI[/COLOR] - meshres.h | [COLOR="Red"]"[/COLOR]$(SDKDir)\utils\meshc.exe[COLOR="Red"]"[/COLOR]
but this is absolutely ugly I think :thumbsdown: (can anybody understand this?)
[1] the for ... part is just to convert the path with spaces into an "8.3 format" (here e.g.: C:\PROGRA~2\Orbiter\ORBITE~1\samples\DELTAG~1\Meshes\DELTAG~1.MSH)
[2] The quoted call to meshres.exe is not that ugly and O.K. ;)

So my request would be, that meshres.exe could work with quoted paths, so that the changes would only be:
Code:
echo [COLOR="Red"]^"[/COLOR]%(FullPath)[COLOR="Red"]^"[/COLOR] - meshres.h | [COLOR="Red"]"[/COLOR]$(SDKDir)\utils\meshc.exe[COLOR="Red"]"[/COLOR]

or that meshc.exe would (also!) accept parameters in a "more explicit" way like:
Code:
"$(SDKDir)\utils\meshc.exe" /I "%(FullPath)" /P - /O meshres.h

Nevertheless, if you would just change the project files to use my "ugly" work-arounds I'd be happy too :thumbup:

P.S.: I just added a changed DeltaGlider.vcxproj (as example) so it might be easier to compare and see my changes

Attachments

• DeltaGlider.vcxproj.zip
    2.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
SVN commit #78

1. Atlantis: modified mass and thrust parameters [issue #1300]
  2. Atlantis: slight modification to AP launch profile to account for new specs
  3. Atlantis: payload attachment mass is now added to orbiter mass
  4. Atlantis: airfoil activation now separated from RCS activation. Automatic switch from RCS to airfoils at dynamic pressure > 1kPa during entry
  5. Surface MFD: bug fix: now uses airspeed instead of groundspeed vector for AOA calculation
  6. meshc: now allows parameters specified on command line ("meshc /H" for help). Quoted paths should work
  7. HST launch scenario: now uses correct launch date. AP parameters preset for correct target orbit insertion

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Code:
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------+
|                   meshc: Mesh compiler for ORBITER                    |
|        Build: Aug 18 2018      (c) 2001-2018 Martin Schweiger         |
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------+

Scans a mesh file and generates a C header file containing mesh group
identifiers.

Usage: meshc /I <meshfile> /O <header file> /P <suffix>
  <meshfile>:    Orbiter mesh file to be scanned
  <header file>: Output C header file name
  <suffix>:      Variable name suffix

Any parameters not provided on the command line are queried interactively.
:thumbup:
Thank you very much! Works as advertised.

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
SVN commit #79

1. Surface-relative parameters (including position, altitude, ground and airspeed, atmospheric parameters) for each component of a SuperVessel immediately after assembly of the SuperVessel. For docked assemblies at simulation start this means that the surface parameters are up to date at the first clbkPreStep [issue #1374]

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
SVN commit #80

1. DeltaGlider: Insignia: layout geometry slightly altered and smaller font for winglet markings so that lower-case characters extending below baseline are not clipped [issue #1361]

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Would you get a chance, to look at the rotation attachment bug ?

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
SVN commit #81

1. DeltaGlider: bug fix: creating a new DeltaGlider or DG-S instance in a simulation that already contained a DeltaGlider (non-scram) instance would corrupt the fuel display, and prevent the scram throttle levers from showing. This was caused by mesh edits that were not cleared before the new instance was initialised, leading to cumulative mesh modifications. [issue #1323]

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
SVN commit #82

1. DeltaGlider: bug fix: fuel level indicators and fuel readouts corrupted in 2D panel mode when switching between vessel instances [issue #1323]
  2. DeltaGlider: bug fix: airbrake status indicator blinking together with retro door indicator when airbrake set at 1/2 position [issue #1322]

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
SVN commit #83

1. Atlantis: Launch autopilot: implemented SSME throttle-down for max dynamic pressure between MET 35s and MET 77s, and throttle-down for 3g max acceleration at the end of the burn. Adjusted launch attitude profile to account for modified thrust values. [issue #1300]
  2. Bug fix: vessels landed at simulation start did not scan for gravity sources and therefore returned a zero weight vector [issue #1318]
  3. PanelElement::Reset2D() now has panelid parameter so that instances can decide if they need to reset.

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
Titan HiRes in D3D9 needs some adjusting

...Regarding the Titan issue: I recently created new textures for Titan in Orbiter2016 format...
About these new Titan textures, I've taken 4 screenshots (scenario is "The Solar System - Titan", starting paused):

Orbiter2016, default textures

onLLML2.png

Orbiter2016, D3D9Client2016-R3b, default textures

cJZUjdx.png

Orbiter2016, HiRes Titan textures + new config

TV1jP0A.png

Orbiter2016, D3D9Client2016-R3b, HiRes Titan textures + new config

SSncq01.png

Last edited:

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
SVN commit #84

1. Mesh: group is re-initialised after edit with Mesh::EditGroup so that visibility volume is updated (issue #1356)
  2. API: oapiWriteLogV: all output now prepends timestamp (issue #1339)
  3. API: new function oapiWriteLogError() for consistent error output to log file
  4. Bug fix: Inconsistent save/load of vessel AF mode to/from scenario file. Default mode for both saving and loading is now "disabled" (0) [issue #268]
  5. Local light sources: sources with VIS_COCKPIT visibility flag are now skipped in external views, and sources with VIS_EXTERNAL are skipped in cockpit views to avoid filling the available slots with inactive lights [issue #1319]
OVP r.65 implements point 5 above in the D3D7 client.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Heads up for the D3D9 folks +/ about point 1 and this: both the "self" and "planetary" shadows don't appear to be updated for groups with animations done with oapiEditMeshGroup(), and maybe some others "standard" animations.

---------- Post added at 11:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 PM ----------

Just looked at the new oapiWriteLogError() and it's really nice... almost makes me want to have CTDs. :rofl:

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
While playing with the vessel's position to check the ECEF and ECI stuff, I noticed that there is a step between the tiles in the equator in the Pacific. Went to lat 0º, lon 0º and none of the 4 tiles that meet there appear to match... :uhh:
It's maybe a 0.5m gap. I don't have the tiles extracted to check if the gap also appears in tileedit, like similar offset in the terrain, actually +/- in the area where the hurricane is hitting the States (the post with that issue should be somewhere in this thread).