New military plane technology. 90s and latter.

Turbinator

Reaction score
We have, over time seen quite a few interesting military planes that where created in complete secrecy, and eventually revealed. The last of them being the B2 Stealth bomber that was developed in the early 80s and first flew in 89.

However, that's in the 80's. Technology wise that's 3 centuries ago.

What about the planes created in the 90s and 2000s? Well here you go:

Boeing Bird of Prey
First Flight: 1996
Crew: 1 pilot
Known For: Active Camouflage in radar, infra-red, and visible light
Made public on October 18, 2002

Boeing_Bird_of_Prey_01.jpg

Boeing_Bird_of_Prey_USAF.jpg

bird_of_prey_04.jpg

Boeing X-45
First Flight: 2002

X-45A_underside_with_weapons_bay_door_open.jpg

Boeing_X-45A_UCAV.jpg

Airshowfan-dot-com--by-Bernardo-Malfitano--Image-of-X45C-mockup-at-Nellis-05.jpg

McDonnell Douglas X-36
First Flight 1997
Built: 2

no good quality pics of this one
Boeing-X36-InFlight.jpg

x36_07.jpg

X-41 Common Aero Vehicle
Still classified

Lockheed Martin RQ-3 DarkStar
First Flight: 1996

DarkStar_Tier_III.jpg

Dark_Star_USAF.jpg

Darkstar-display_WL.jpg

Aurora no official name
What would a thread like this be without the Aurora?
It is the replacement for the SR-71 Blackbird, and nothing about this plane is know for fact, other than it's existence.

In May 2006, the British Ministry of Defence (MoD) released an extensive report on Unexplained Aerial Phenomena (UAPs) in the UK air defence area. It was written by the Defence Intelligence Staff (DIS) in 2000 and was originally classified "SECRET UK eyes only". It is unusual, because it contains official comments on "black" programmes. One of the Working Papers is entitled "'BLACK' AND OTHER AIRCRAFT AS UAP EVENTS". It says, "it is acknowledged that some UAP sightings can be attributed to covert aircraft programmes". The report lists three "Western" programmes which might result in this — all of which appear to be American (right side image). The first — not surprisingly — is the SR-71. Programme 2 and Programme 3 are redacted from the report — even their names are withheld.

Two photos or representations have also been removed from the file before release. Adjacent sections freely talk about the F-117, B-2 and F-22, and show photos of these aircraft; so these programmes appear to be something different. Elsewhere in the report the DIS says, "The projected (USAF) priority plan is to produce unpiloted air-breathing aircraft with a Mach 8-12 capability and transatmospheric vehicles as well as highly supersonic vehicles at Mach 4 to 6". The Mach 8-12 aircraft may refer to what the USAF announced as the Falcon Project in 2003 but this is the first official mention of a USAF plan for an Aurora-like Mach 4-6 vehicle. Bill Sweetman (Sweetman, Bill. (1993) Aurora: The Pentagon's Secret Hypersonic Spyplane) says the report shows the MoD "identified two separate U.S. 'Black' programmes that might have operated from the U.K." This caught the attention of the BBC Two's Newsnight (June 14, 2006), who related the project to many other covert projects.

And of course this would not be complete without the so called Black Triangle sightings, they have increased dramatically since the 1990s. 1993, March 30: Multiple witnesses across south-west and west England saw a large black triangle at low speeds. Analysis of the sightings by Nick Pope concluded that the object moved in a north-easterly course from Cornwall to Shropshire over a period of approximately 6 hours. The sightings report clearly visible objects over densely populated areas and highways, mostly in the United States and Britain, but other parts of the world as well. A geographic distribution of U.S. sightings has been correlated by a currently inactive American-based investigative organization, the National Institute for Discovery Science, which led to a July 2002 report which suggested that the craft may belong to the U.S. Air Force; however, a subsequent report in August 2004 by the same organization (NIDS) found that the rash of sightings did not conform to previous deployment of black project aircraft and that the objects' origins and agendas were unknown. This in comparison to the F-117 Nighthawk and B-2 Spirit stealth aircraft, which were sighted only occasionally during testing over sparsely populated areas of the Southwest United States such as Groom Lake (Area 51), usually at night and by dedicated civilian observers of military aircraft.

Most black triangle reports indicate that the craft are at least 200 ft (60 m) long and similar to the dimensions of a typical football field in width. They typically appear silently and seemingly "out of nowhere", drifting a few hundred feet or less above the ground. Black triangles are usually described by witnesses as moving very slowly or hovering in one place for varying periods of time, sometimes even landing. The craft are also sometimes reported by witnesses to be capable of sudden, rapid acceleration.

The only real close up picture is this one by the Belgian Air Force from 1990:
TriangleBelgium1990.jpg

I personally can not wait for the day these awesome machines are de-classified, as they seem to have a new mode of propulsion, or at least a new way of applying a an old method of propulsion. However, based solely on the kind of revolution in modern warfare that this kind of propulsion method would cause, I don't see this being de-classified any time soon within the next 50 years. Everything we know about warfare, would change drastically.

---------- Post added at 04:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:20 AM ----------

Honourable mention goes to the Russian Thermoplane:

thermoplane.jpeg

2.jpg

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
You can strike the black triangles from the list, they are very likely a hoax. You have them reported for years in dubious circles, and still there is only one set of images from the same time, that shows them. And that over a very densely populated place of Earth.

And the thermoplane looks like a hot air blimp, hardly new technology.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Technology wise that's 3 centuries ago.

It can't be that old. :blink:
However, Leonardo Da Vinci designed some planes 5 centuries ago.

... But maybe you meant 3 decades. :rofl:

GregBurch

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I've been a "black aircraft" nut all my life. I well remember the buzz around the F-117 and B-2 back in the the prehistoric, pre-internet days of the 1980s ... trying to figure out what was going on, what the real planes would actually look like if they were ever revealed, etc. I still get a thrill looking at the "artist's conceptions" that made the rounds back then before we actually got a look at those two planes. Heck, I remember the SR-71 being revealed after LBJ let the fact of its existence slip ... and the sense of wonder at seeing it for the first time and realizing what an amazing process had been undertaken to create it in complete secrecy.

I've read enough about Aurora to be pretty sure it's not real ... just barely possible, but probably not. I'd say there are maybe 3 or 4 bits of credible evidence out there that amount to "things that make you go 'hummmmh'." I agree with Urwumpe about the "black triangle" -- that's almost certainly in the realm of complete, nutjob nonsense. Then there was the so-called "Blackstar" flap a few years ago ... man, that one got me going for a day or two. But I finally had to conclude that that one's a lot closer to being a fantasy than a reality.

... Then something like "the Beast of Kandahar" comes along:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/wo...andahar-revealed/story-e6frf7lf-1225809112681

... and I think, who knows? There's enough hangar space at Tonapah to hide a LOT of stuff ...

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
i think there's something to Aurora. I just find it hard to believe that the fastest airbreathing aircraft we've ever produced is the SR71. Incredible as it is, it's 1950's technology... they haven't come up with anything better in 60 years, really? Maybe its not flown today, maybe only one or two were ever built and rarely flown but i think there was something to it... perhaps even multiple designs.

Btw, the triangle with lights shown in post 1 is usually credited to either the even more mystical TR3-B, some giant airship (for the huuuuge ones) or aliens, depending on who you talk to. There's a number of videos which seem credible to me, which show either a small triangle with large lights moving very fast, or a very, very large triangle with small lights which moved slowly. Note the gigantic new hangar facility at Area 51 also. Many of the videos come from around this area, but also from wales, not far from me, and australia... some were featured in the UFO hunters tv program.

black triangles

'invasion illinois'

which provides some background to the phenomena, sadly adding their own speculative twists to pad out the show between some interesting footage and analysis. just ignore anything the guy with the shades says.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Its history channel, it is easier to find something true in old issues of Pravda.

I wish people would really analyze such incidents with proper scientific tools and methods. Does somebody remember the 99.9% Silicon piece, that was supposingly found at Roswell? Which was analyzed to be not natural on Earth...but which everybody with some interest in history could identify as old semi-conductor as used in WW2 era aircraft, for example in radar?

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
Its history channel, it is easier to find something true in old issues of Pravda.

Because i'm really that naive to think everything shown on Tv is real?

I think most people other than you have also learned to take shows like this with a pinch of salt.

Anyway. The show provides some background to these things as i said, a summation of the legends a lore of the subject.

If people are interested in learning some more, and viewing some interesting footage... which i dont believe is faked - as in special effects made by a production crew specifically for this show. along with plenty of speculations and opinions... It's up to you to figure out what the truth is. ignore the production, entertainment aspects of it.

as far as the witness testimony and footage goes, i think its genuine, it doesn't show anything particularly wild really. perhaps a hoax, perhaps something more interesting. But then you're not actually going to be able to comment on that unless you actually watch it;)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Because i'm really that naive to think everything shown on Tv is real?

I think most people other than you have also learned to take shows like this with a pinch of salt.

of course, but there are differences between "making things a bit more exciting" and "telling lies". And History Channel is pretty often just doing the latter, they do no proper research before they do the show and blow things up a lot.

I might be a bit used to the luxury of European Television (Its hard to complain about the stuff they show on Arte or Phoenix here, mostly BBC and ARD productions, one or two shows of the better History Channel stuff), but just as example: In a show about the 2012 doomsday claims, they traveled to Robinson Crusoe Island for a supposed Maya pillar. They showed how they had to arrive there by boat and had barely civilization there...

Of course, anybody who watches Phoenix and especially the very good documentary "Under the Emperors Flag" about the Naval battles during WW1, might remember that the SMS Dresden met her fate in a bay at Robinson Crusoe Island, the Island does have its own airport now, a proper settlement next to it (with many Germans who immigrated there), a bike road network and is a popular diving resort because the SMS Dresden is in a very good shape for its age and easily reached even by less skilled divers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS_Dresden_%281907%29

The Maya pillar is just a 100ft basalt column, a proof of the volcanic past of the island...and has not even eroded Maya glyphs on it.

Nothing in the whole show was true. Nothing. And still nobody felt breaking the lie and present that it was all a joke, like it was done for "The Dark Side of the Moon".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Side_of_the_Moon_(documentary)

Similar things happen with their treatment of WW2 or Vietnam war, it is astounding how many errors you can do in a documentary without people pillaging the TV stations HQ.

BTW... if you are interested in how such a documentary is made... there is an article about the "Unter kaiserlicher Flagge" documentary.

http://www.arte.tv/de/wissen-entdec...he/Unter_20kaiserlicher_20Flagge/1352932.html

Its for example interesting to know that the Royal Navy reenacted the Battle of the Falkland Islands after WW1 with original ships and lots of exercise ammo, and this material had been used in the documentary for showing the battle... much better than any CGI could. Australia did the same with the victory of the Sidney in 1926 - including some of the German sailors of the battle.

Last edited:

Linguofreak

Reaction score
i think there's something to Aurora. I just find it hard to believe that the fastest airbreathing aircraft we've ever produced is the SR71. Incredible as it is, it's 1950's technology... they haven't come up with anything better in 60 years, really

Quite likely.

We tend to think of technology as ruthlessly marching forward, but what tends to happen is that a breakthrough is made introducing a new technology, that particular technology undergoes rapid growth for a while, and then reaches a point of diminishing returns. It just so happens that alot of aircraft technology hit maturity around 1960. Most developments since then have been in avionics, control (such as thrust vectoring on the F-22), and materials, and not so much in aerodynamics and high speed, high-altitude flight. The replacement for the SR-71 is the Predator, et al.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The SR-71 was some sort of a dead end development: satellites made it useless and too expensive to operate. Most modern hypersonic developments aim at missiles, not planes, not even UAVs are currently considered to be hypersonic.

Hypersonic planes are just very visible and can't react to what is seen below them, while slower UAVs can do so, or while satellites are cheaper and more capable already.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
The SR-71 was some sort of a dead end development: satellites made it useless and too expensive to operate.

They really didn't, but the claim that they did was involved in the program's demise. The problem with satellites is that their overflight times are rigidly scheduled by their orbit.

UAV's, on the other hand, do make the SR-71 obsolete, given their loiter-times, low costs, small size, and the fact that you don't expose two people to death or capture if one gets shot down.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
They really didn't, but the claim that they did was involved in the program's demise. The problem with satellites is that their overflight times are rigidly scheduled by their orbit.

Yes, but even tiny changes to the orbit can make any plans for hiding things from your eyes useless. ;) Hollywood isn't as creative as spaceflight engineers.

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
Btw, the triangle with lights shown in post 1 is usually credited to either the even more mystical TR3-B, some giant airship (for the huuuuge ones) or aliens, depending on who you talk to. There's a number of videos which seem credible to me, which show either a small triangle with large lights moving very fast, or a very, very large triangle with small lights which moved slowly. Note the gigantic new hangar facility at Area 51 also. Many of the videos come from around this area, but also from wales, not far from me, and australia... some were featured in the UFO hunters tv program.

Many cases of observaion of the 'black triangle' can be attributed to signtings of NOSS satellites triplets (flying in formation):
uf58085,1258712407,noss2-1.GIF

The human brain just draws illusionary lines where there are none.

Turbinator

Reaction score
Many cases of observaion of the 'black triangle' can be attributed to signtings of NOSS satellites triplets (flying in formation):
uf58085,1258712407,noss2-1.GIF

The human brain just draws illusionary lines where there are none.

That is the -best- explanation I have seen yet. That would completely explain the speed, and sudden appearance and the vanishing act.

---------- Post added at 03:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:41 PM ----------

I love this plane. If I had $65 million to spend, I know what I would spend it on.

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
Quite likely.

We tend to think of technology as ruthlessly marching forward, but what tends to happen is that a breakthrough is made introducing a new technology, that particular technology undergoes rapid growth for a while, and then reaches a point of diminishing returns. It just so happens that alot of aircraft technology hit maturity around 1960. Most developments since then have been in avionics, control (such as thrust vectoring on the F-22), and materials, and not so much in aerodynamics and high speed, high-altitude flight. The replacement for the SR-71 is the Predator, et al.

Heh, yeah i've heard all that before. I'm not saying it worked out to be practical, or that many were built, and i'm sure its an enormously expensive project to undertake. Neither of us can prove it either way, its just that logic that we can't do anything faster than the SR71 doesn't wash with me at all. And if we can, someones probably done it.

Thanks! thats the kind of reaction i was hoping for. a rational explanation without the knee jerk response that its a just silly TV show.

That explanation makes sense and seems to fit the bill in many ways... Now how about the smaller, faster triangle that was filmed during the day in the other episode?

Hartmann

Reaction score
the problem with black triangles and another phenomena is that they can´t be explained withouth breakthrough propulsion physics, and it´s hard to believe.

Nasa had a breakthrough propulsion depatment but it was finaly closed

http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/bpp/

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The BPP was interesting, but it isn't a reason to go around shouting "warp drives, antigravity, flying triangles!" at the slightest provocation. The BPP actually outlined concepts that were potentially applicable for spacecraft, although farfetched (hence the "breakthrough physics").

It could be relatively easy to build a "flying triangle" not only with understood physics, but with current technology as well. An electric ducted fan mounted on a polystyrene body could do the trick quite well...

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Take a thing like that:

Put it into nice black body, add some LEDs, and let it fly slowly past some UFOlogists.
I wonder what kind of stories there would be...