Gaming New Mercury simulator now available for pre-order (free demo)

Mulbin

Reaction score
Hi all,

This might be of some interest to Orbiter fans (particularly classic spaceflight fans). This is a personal project I've been working on for about 6 months now. It's a labour of love as I've gone for a very niche game (it's not going to make Kerbal money, lets face it... you have to be a mercury nut to play it). The driving force in getting this off the ground was that I've been looking for a good, modern mercury sim with modern graphics and total detail and discovered that there just isn't one. A-OK is very detailed, but lacks modern graphics, Orbiter Mercury mod has been patched up over the years but is still fairly rudimentary (as to be expected with a free mod), KSP "FASA" is just too far from authentic for my personal taste.

Go For Launch: Mercury is being built from the ground up for one purpose only, to recreate the Mercury missions with total accuracy and an unheard of level of functional detail. Every single switch, dial, breaker, lever and button will do exactly what they did in the original.... not just flight control systems, but literally everything.

The high level of authenticity is aided by the very kind help and support of the NASA history office who have described GFL: Mercury as "Very cool and worthwhile" (probably the best review I could ever hope for) who have also offered access to NASA data to complete the project.

Free demo (flight of Freedom 7 - note, switches not yet functional in current demo), pre-order and Beta all available on the indiegogo page. https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/go-for-launch-mercury#/

QwQEYdK.png

WtGkXc3.png

ytIMD43.jpg

uL9DhYN.png

Last edited:

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
I'm too horribly spoiled by free high-quality Orbiter add-ons to buy this.

Mulbin

Reaction score
Orbiter is amazing, and the first game I recommend to people interested in go for launch. The two certainly aren't in competition, orbiter is an open platform designed for modding. GFL: Mercury is a closed platform that focuses on a single space program. Orbiter is fantastic at offering diversity of spacecraft, but I guarantee not a single one will have the level of detail and interactive finctions of GFL. There's nothing wrong with that, you can just put a lot more development into a paid spacecraft than a free one. Bottom line is if you want to simulate Mercury with total detail and accuracy you want GFL: Mercury

Personally I want both games!

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Dosen't run on my HP Notebook WIN 10.

N.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
This is beautiful. If only I had a VR device. Reminds me of how badly we need an updated Project Mercury.

Mulbin

Reaction score
Dosen't run on my HP Notebook WIN 10.

N.

What are the specs of the notebook? To be honest I wouldn't expect a laptop to have the graphics capability for high end gaming. There will be optimised graphics settings on the full release that may get it working on less powerful systems but obviously with much of the settings turned down low.

---------- Post added at 01:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 PM ----------

This is beautiful. If only I had a VR device. Reminds me of how badly we need an updated Project Mercury.

VR is optional, standard monitor play is also supported.

---------- Post added at 01:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:00 PM ----------

Are you (one of) the developer(s) of this simulator? If so, you may want to make that clear in the post.

I'm the sole developer. I probably could have made that clearer, I've got so used to the ksp community knowing my username :)

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
What are the specs of the notebook? To be honest I wouldn't expect a laptop to have the graphics capability for high end gaming. There will be optimised graphics settings on the full release that may get it working on less powerful systems but obviously with much of the settings turned down low.

Its a 6 year old HP Mini, I wouldn't expect to run it either, now I think about it. But it does run Orbiter. Let me try it on my HP Envy, that's less than 2 years old!

Runs fine on the HP Envy, looks good and behaves ok. Looking forward to the future development.

N.

Last edited:

Mulbin

Reaction score
Runs fine on the HP Envy, looks good and behaves ok. Looking forward to the future development.

That's really great to hear! What are the specs of the notebook if you don't mind me asking? I'm always keen to get system info to help guage min/recommended specs for the game.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
I don't mind at all!

Its a HP Mini running Windows 10 Home Version 1511 Build 10586.318
Intel Atom CPU N570 @ 1.67 GHz, 2GB Ram
32 bit OS, x64 based processor.
So says Windows Setting page!

Coming up to 6 years old, and HP have given up software updates, but
it probably doesn't need any. Only used for e-mail and generic browsing.

This the one:
http://www.alphr.com/hp/hp-mini-210/30790/hp-mini-210-review

N.

Last edited:

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Personally I want both games!

Are you (one of) the developer(s) of this simulator? If so, you may want to make that clear in the post.

I'm the sole developer. I probably could have made that clearer, I've got so used to the ksp community knowing my username :)

Could have made it clearer? I should say so. :rolleyes:

It is hard for me not to interpret your first quote above as a shill.

Orbiter is amazing, and the first game I recommend to people interested in go for launch. The two certainly aren't in competition...

Nonsense. Of course they are, or else you wouldn't be here marketing your product.

Last edited:

Mulbin

Reaction score
I don't mind at all!

Its a HP Mini running Windows 10 Home Version 1511 Build 10586.318
Intel Atom CPU N570 @ 1.67 GHz, 2GB Ram
32 bit OS, x64 based processor.
So says Windows Setting page!

Coming up to 6 years old, and HP have given up software updates, but
it probably doesn't need any. Only used for e-mail and generic browsing.

This the one:
http://www.alphr.com/hp/hp-mini-210/30790/hp-mini-210-review

N.

Great thanks, that really helps. I've got any amount of feedback for the VR version (very demanding to keep 90 fps) but very little on the desktop version.

---------- Post added at 11:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 PM ----------

Main post updated for clarity. Huge thanks to all the fellow Mercury fans for the great support.

Mulbin

Reaction score
Thank you, Mulbin.

Had I known you were the developer, I would not have made the insensitive remark in post 2.

No worries, to be honest I'm flattered that my game looks professional enough to look like a corporate enterprise, rather than the space geek project it really is!

Hopefully enough people will think $8 is a fair contribution to get the full game (after all A-OK used to retail at $45), it won't pay the bills but it will help development.

Keatah

Reaction score
$8 usd sounds fair, but I don't believe there is any way to archive this for the future and okay it 100% totally offline. Is there?

Mulbin

Reaction score
$8 usd sounds fair, but I don't believe there is any way to archive this for the future and okay it 100% totally offline. Is there?

Do you mean so it can be played offline without steam? I'm looking at various outlets for publishing, steam is just the first one to accept the game. I may also do a non DRM release which wouldn't need to go via steam.

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
No worries, to be honest I'm flattered that my game looks professional enough to look like a corporate enterprise, rather than the space geek project it really is!

Hopefully enough people will think $8 is a fair contribution to get the full game (after all A-OK used to retail at $45), it won't pay the bills but it will help development.

Actually, when I saw the I-P, I assumed it was some kind of evolution of A-OK and was going to be expensive. Neither appears true.

Good luck on your project. :cheers:

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Do you mean so it can be played offline without steam? I'm looking at various outlets for publishing, steam is just the first one to accept the game. I may also do a non DRM release which wouldn't need to go via steam.

I'm not sure steam prohibits offline play. It was perfectly fine for me to play X-Com while my internet line was off.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
I'm not sure steam prohibits offline play.
A game distributed on Steam can be made to be played off-line, not use Steam DRM mechanisms, i.e. can be completely the same as distributed outside of Steam and not require the Steam client running in background, if that's what the publisher of the game decides. (example: Kerbal Space Program)

Steam client running and on-line connection are required only for downloading such game and nothing more (well, optionally for downloading updates, if they are released).