OHM New Horizons Pluto Encounter

cristiapi

Reaction score
Sure!
CeBoMo fixes any limitation introduced by the 2-body motion, because the bodies handled by CeBoMo will be located in the expected position within the accuracy limits showed in the table "Accuracy" in the manual (usually the "error" is only few meters).

When CeBoMo is installed, all the Pluto System bodies orbit the Pluto System barycenter, they do not orbit Pluto. But that happens for any planetary system, when CeBoMo is installed.

The problem of the 2-body motion can be partly fixed by adding the planetary system barycenter as a fictitious body, but any perturbation will be lost. For Pluto, this approach will lead to an highly inaccurate system (the situation is even worse when the fictitious barycenter is not added at all).

Last edited:

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
The problem with Pluto is that we probably will never get the dark side with a sufficient level of detail.

The key parameters for Pluto:

; === Rotation Elements ===
SidRotPeriod = 551856.70656000 ; sec (6.3872304 days)
Obliquity = 1.97 ; rad
SidRotOffset = 2.46 ; rad. CHARON_SidRotOffset - pi
LAN = 0.83 ; rad (47.555 deg)

Tried that for Pluto and it works well for the New Horizons encounter.
Good enough for my needs :thumbup:

Yes, some parts of Pluto will remain unmapped, and others will be of low resolution.
But NASA will have topography and a good surface characterization latter on. When that happens we can add fictional detail, but based on existing terrain types.

Last edited:

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
I have made the New Horizons Extended Kuiper Belt mission using Piper's tool for the targets:

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=1436"]MPC Database Asteroid Viewer and Exporter v2.0.3[/ame]

It was too large to include here, so I uploaded it to Orbiter Hanger.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Charon map released by NASA, so I've converted it to Orbiter :thumbup:
Get it here:
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6815"]http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6815[/ame]

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
The New Horizons Extended Kuiper Belt mission is up:

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6814"]New Horizons Kuiper Belt Extended Mission[/ame]

Interestingly enough, in Orbiter 2014 OS393 seems easy to get to, and 2014 PN70 (the actual back-up target) is impossible. :hmm:

ale131296

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've downloaded this addon only to have Styx and Kerberos in Orbiter. I was searching for them in orbit hangar but there wasn't any addon but this so I downloaded it. But when I was watching the plutonian sistem with Orbit MFD, I found that the orbital elements for Pluto's moons are wrong. Do you know how to change it?

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've downloaded this addon only to have Styx and Kerberos in Orbiter. I was searching for them in orbit hangar but there wasn't any addon but this so I downloaded it. But when I was watching the plutonian sistem with Orbit MFD, I found that the orbital elements for Pluto's moons are wrong. Do you know how to change it?
Hi,
to change the orbital elements for a planet or moon, look in your Orbiter/Config/ folder and find the relevant .cfg file, e.g. styx.cfg.
Open the file with any text editor, such as Notepad, and change the orbital elements as required.

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
IIRC, there was an issue because the smaller moons orbit Pluto in Orbiter, not the combined Pluto/Charon System.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/News-Center/News-Article.php?page=20150828

August 28, 2015
NASA’s New Horizons Team Selects Potential Kuiper Belt Flyby Target

Artist's impression of NASA's New Horizons spacecraft encountering a Pluto-like object in the distant Kuiper Belt. (Credit: NASA/Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory/Southwest Research Institute/Steve Gribben)

NASA has selected the potential next destination for the New Horizons mission to visit after its historic July 14 flyby of the Pluto system. The destination is a small Kuiper Belt object (KBO) known as 2014 MU69 that orbits nearly a billion miles beyond Pluto.

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
I've been waiting for that news. ;)

But, no surprise.

Gargantua2024

The Desktop Orbinaut
Reaction score