News New Dr Who.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
New to me anyway, still drop in and watch it now and then. Its changed a bit since William Hartnell and Patrick Troughton.

Seems the doc is a lady now, bully for her, didn't watch it, but the promos are glossy.

BBC seems to have lost its maps, and is saying Sheffield is North. Guaranteed to annoy anyone from Tyneside. We all know anything South of County Durham is the midlands.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-45763549

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
The Beeb have always had that problem, though, anything north of Watford is "North". Although I refute the idea that I live in the Midlands! It is kind of closer to the centre of the country though, only a few hours south of Cumbria on the west coast... maybe I'll concede the point.

Haven't seen the new doctor either, gave up watching a bit when Capaldi took over but the last season of his seemed to improve so I gave it a watch. New series seems to have passed me by though, I didn't manage to realise it was on!

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Wasn't much about the new Who, surprising as its a big seller for the BBC. I'm told by people who watch it its quite good. Except for the geography problem.

Just looking at a map of England I would draw a line from Bristol to The Wash, and from Liverpool to Hull.Divides the country nicely into North, Midlands, South.

Bound to annoy someone...

N.

Interceptor

Reaction score
I thought the new Doctor was very good,but like all the new Doctors it takes a bit to get use to them,I didn't like Peter Capaldi at first,because,Mat Smith the 11th,and David tenant,the 10th Doctor being a little zany,and lovable,but Capaldi grew on me eventually,I just had to realize he was a more serious version of the Doctor.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Capaldi reminds me of William Hartnell(the first Doctor). Mostly bad tempered, and grumpy, but quite astute.

Hartnell was a regular face on tv before dh, usually heavies. Good actor:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Hartnell

Interceptor

Reaction score
Yeah,you took the words out of my mouth Notebook Capaldi was like William Hartnell in so many ways,and in an interview Capaldi even said he based his Doctors character after him.

Last edited:

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I wonder if this is a good time to get into the show. I keep wanting to, but archive anxiety keeps me far away from it...

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
I probably left it alone after William Hartnell and Patrick Troughton, got older and other interests took over.
Was never a big fan, it just came along at the right time for my age.

Its certainly watchable as an adult since the Ecclestone and later series, well made.

N.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Since I'm watching the show on Netflix, I am constantly lagging behind. I just finished the last season, so I know about the gender bender (it always was just a question of time, so I'm not shocked at all).
What I like about the new whos is that they have by now found a well working formula they stick to, while still showing enough originality in the details to make things interesting enough. At least if you leave some time between them. I found that when binge-watching like three seasons in a row they do get kinda boring, but then again almost everything does at that point.
What I consider one of the shows biggest strengths though is that they can and do switch out the main actor every few season. Getting to experience so many different interpretations and takes on the same character is really something unique to doctor who.

I wonder if this is a good time to get into the show.

From my experience, any time the doctor changes is a good point to start. Whether you pick up older seasons or start with what's showing right now, the only important thing is that you don't drop in in the middle of a doctor's arch. That can be majorly disorienting.

Last edited:

Interceptor

Reaction score
Since I'm watching the show on Netflix, I am constantly lagging behind. I just finished the last season, so I know about the gender bender (it always was just a question of time, so I'm not shocked at all).
What I like about the new whos is that they have by now found a well working formula they stick to, while still showing enough originality in the details to make things interesting enough. At least if you leave some time between them. I found that when binge-watching like three seasons in a row they do get kinda boring, but then again almost everything does at that point.
What I consider one of the shows biggest strengths though is that they can and do switch out the main actor every few season. Getting to experience so many different interpretations and takes on the same character is really something unique to doctor who.

From my experience, any time the doctor changes is a good point to start. Whether you pick up older seasons or start with what's showing right now, the only important thing is that you don't drop in in the middle of a doctor's arch. That can be majorly disorienting.
I agree now is a good time to start watching.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Well, probably done this before, and very non-pc, but typical Spike Milligan.
Of its era.