News Japan's maglev train sets new world record with 603kph

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The German high-speed rail monopolist DB has now managed to upset both labour unions after lengthy negotiations with each of them to play them off against each other... instead of the small but powerful GDL going on annoying strikes that shutdown the rail traffic in Germany (this union represents mostly train drivers), the bigger and usually more compromise-oriented EVG also plans to go on strike.

Both labour unions complain that after slowly approaching a working compromise between the positions of the DB and the unions, the DB presented a completely devastating new proposal that was completely ignoring all previously established decisions.

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
For those who think that air transport is a better solution - been there, done that. Remember Tokyo - Osaka is not your usual Moscow - St. Petersburg or NY - DC route: the number of passengers is one order of magnitude bigger! The current bullet train line has trains going every 10 minutes or so, with each train having 16 cars seating >800, and from my personal experience even at off-peak hours the trains are at least half full. I have just checked - for the past few years the annual passenger riding figures on the current bullet train line is about 150 million (comparing with about 11 million for the Northeast Corridor). No wonder the Japanese are starting to build a maglev version to further speed up travelling, because with limited slots you can't just use 747s to move such a large number of passengers around (and remember they used to have those 600+ seats 747s).

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Still: The slots for a bullet train are only slightly smaller than the slots for an aircraft. You still need to be able to stop the following train should the train at the front have an accident.

The Shinkasen uses no railroad signals or classic signal blocks, this is all done automatically via ATC (Automatic Train Control), but the physical limitations still exist there, there are still blocks reserved for a train in the control center.

Would you use the typical 1.8 m/s² deceleration for highspeed trains as safe limit, a magnetic train running at 500 km/h (138.9 m/s) would need 77.16 seconds to stop. Add the expected 3 seconds of reaction time, you get a distance of 5.76 km to stop the train. The 6 NM separation for landing aircraft is just about twice that distance.

Last edited:

Nikogori

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
orbinautjp.github.io
As a Japanese I must say, what we need is cheaper and moderately fast trains. Some people (especially who are young) are still crammed in buses driving all night. Maglev might be too expensive for most of us.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Also, Nikogori, I think I'm right to say that being exactly right on time is something extremely important in the japanese culture, and that employers have very little tolerance with workers in late even by a few minutes, correct me if I'm wrong. So it might also explain a bit that obsession for speed.

Anyways it is a very nice technological achievement. As you say it will probably be the same thing than the Concorde was in France : a prestigious technological display for wealthy travelers. :yes:

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Lets be honest there: No number of generations of inbreeding can explain the corruption and incompetence of US politicians. But that's a basement topic.

What I wonder is: Why is it impossible to fix this problem, which seems to exist since the foundation of Amtrak?

Because automobile travel is cheap and convenient enough that passenger rail isn't in enough demand for Amtrak to be self-supporting, whereas freight rail is still profitable for some types of goods. There's no political demand for change because most Americans are barely aware that Amtrak exists.

EDIT: For clarification, the fact that passenger rail can't bring in enough money to support itself is why Amtrak was established in the first place, in addition to being the reason that is impossible to fix Amtrak's problems.

Last edited:

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
As a Japanese I must say, what we need is cheaper and moderately fast trains. Some people (especially who are young) are still crammed in buses driving all night. Maglev might be too expensive for most of us.

It sounds like a cheaper solution would be to take the existing railroad grades and widen them to support more tracks, allowing trains to run in parallel. This won't increase the speed, but it will handle the volume of passengers, and it's conventional technology and construction.

Even that is difficult, because often railroad rights-of-way in densely-populated areas are right up against busy streets and buildings, so widening it requires taking or relocation of all that property.

These things are much easier where you have lots of unused land.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
As a Japanese I must say, what we need is cheaper and moderately fast trains.
Could you perhaps shed some light on why there are so many people travelling between the two cities?

Are they commuting?
If yes, for what kinds of jobs?

Nikogori

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
orbinautjp.github.io
Also, Nikogori, I think I'm right to say that being exactly right on time is something extremely important in the japanese culture, and that employers have very little tolerance with workers in late even by a few minutes, correct me if I'm wrong.

You are right. The main cause of [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amagasaki_rail_crash"]Amagasaki rail crash[/ame] is the obsession for speed and punctuality.

Drivers face financial penalties for lateness as well as being forced into harsh and humiliating retraining program, known as "Nikkin Kyoiku" ("dayshift education," including weeding and grass-cutting duties during the day) retraining programs. The final report officially concluded that the retraining system was the most probable cause of incident.

---------- Post added at 11:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 AM ----------

Could you perhaps shed some light on why there are so many people travelling between the two cities?

Many young Japanese people flock to Tokyo to seek their jobs because they can't find any at their hometown. Most of them are not commuting–they return to their home (sometimes with their children) on vacation.

Also, Tokyo is a main venue for almost everything. If you want to see a concert, attend a business meeting, visit Disneyland, or go to some huge events such as Comic Market, you might have to visit Tokyo.
Tokyo has everything, on the other hand, some rural areas have almost nothing.

If you can't afford to buy Shinkansen ticket, cheap buses might be an only option. However, I always choose Shinkansen because it is always the safest means to travel.

Bus crash in Japan kills 7, injures 39

TachyonDriver

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Speaking of "bullet trains" the N500 was a most beautiful train. I believe they have been retired now. :(

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Speaking of "bullet trains" the N500 was a most beautiful train. I believe they have been retired now. :(

This one?

JRW-500-nozomi.jpg

It's still in service, though relegated to "inter-regional" services since 2010.