New Comet C/2012 S1 (ISON)

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
So... Any official verdict in sight?
Karl Battams blog-post is as official it will be.

---------- Post added at 09:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 AM ----------

Here's the archived NASA Comet ISON Google+ Hangout if you missed it:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NB3j1SqG-I"]NASA Comet ISON Google+ Hangout - YouTube[/ame]

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
ISOFF, ISON.... stupid comets.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Latest SOHO LASCO C3 time-lapse of C/2012 S1. Runs from 0007 UT to 1337 UT today.

C2012_S1_Nov29_LASCO_C3.gif

---------- Post added at 04:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:04 PM ----------

Latest tweets from official sources re: C/2012 S1:

@SungrazerComets said:
Good morning again from Kitt Peak! It looks like a certain comet #ISON is still hanging in there quite nicely!

Based on a few more hours of data, comet #ISON appears to be... well, behaving like a comet!

NASA_SDO said:
@NASA_SDO scientists are still looking at the data to figure out why #ISON was not visible. Updates forthcoming

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The problem with SDO was, that it was constantly sending repeats of last years solar activity... like all geostationary satellites do.

Last edited:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Latest LASCO C3 image of C/2012 S1. It is starting to resemble a comet with a distinctive coma. Orbital motion is left-to-right, towards the half-way point between 1 o'clock and 2 o'clock.

20131129_2111_c3_512.jpg

Last edited:

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
:(. Well. We'll never know when the next one's coming. That's the great thing about comets.

But certainly sad for the far northern hemisphere, it seems comets prefer the souther sky. I hoped my grandfather would get some great shots in Norway, he already has hundreds of breathtaking images of the landscape, and that combined with a bright comet...

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
:(. Well. We'll never know when the next one's coming. That's the great thing about comets.

Great thing? I'd say that's the terribly terrifying thing about comets. With asteroids of known orbits and periodic comets, at least we know where they are and where they'll be in the future. With these comets that come and go, we find them a few years before they get close. It doesn't leave us a lot of time to act in case one decided to come pay us a visit.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Great thing? I'd say that's the terribly terrifying thing about comets. With asteroids of known orbits and periodic comets, at least we know where they are and where they'll be in the future. With these comets that come and go, we find them a few years before they get close. It doesn't leave us a lot of time to act in case one decided to come pay us a visit.

This one even managed to potentially have an effect on the Earth. There was talk earlier in the year of a meteor shower around January 12, 2014. I think they've found that less likely by now, but I can't find recent sources.

Abdullah

armchair engineer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
A very bright comet has been discoverd which is maybe vissible with naked eye in daylight!

I know that it was allready posted in the Random Comments Thread by Galactic Penguin SST, but I think that we need an own thread for such important discoveries... :)

This comet is visible from begining of November 2013 to the end of December 2013.

Maybe it's possible to see the comet on day at around the 29th November.

Does someone knows if it's visible form europe in this period of time?
I don't know, but I DO know that ISON went too close to the sun and split up.
Source: NatGeo documentry titled "Comet Of The Century" and Wikipedia.org

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
I don't know, but I DO know that ISON went too close to the sun and split up.
Source: NatGeo documentry titled "Comet Of The Century" and Wikipedia.org
I think he may have realized that in the last two years and couple hundred comments.
When you necropost, this forum gives you a message for you to read and consider carefully before submitting your comment. And that's even for a one month old thread.