Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
latest.jpg

The image is doctored, but the reality looks not worse.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
ISON looks to have survived its encounter..? This is the oddest comet I've ever heard of.
c3_1024.jpg

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Per the @SungrazerComets twitter account, it seems that a small chunk of the nucleus of C/2012 S1 did survive the perihelion pass intact. No estimate yet on any possible size ranges, but hopefully they'll be able to get those soon.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Bad Astronomy article updated!

---------- Post added at 03:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:22 AM ----------

Article by Karl Battams.

And I just want to end on this note: not long after comet ISON was discovered, it began to raise questions. Throughout this year, as many of you who have followed closely will appreciate, it has continued to confuse and surprise us. For the past few weeks, it has been particularly enigmatic and dynamic, in addition to being visually spectacular. This morning we thought it was dying, and hope was lost as it faded from sight. But like an icy phoenix, it has risen from the solar corona and - for a time at least - shines once more. This has unquestionably been the most extraordinary comet that Matthew and I, and likely many other astronomers, have ever witnessed. The universe is an amazing place and it has just amazed us again. This story isn't over yet, so don't stray too far from your computer for the next couple of days!

http://www.isoncampaign.org/karl/schroedingers-comet

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Unfortunately, it's probably not going to be very bright. +2 magnitude at most.

MattBaker

Reaction score
I feel like there should be A LOT more panels until he comes back because it takes quite a long time.
On the other hand we don't know how comets feel time...