Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
KHOU... haha that's the local news I watch! Anyway, I saw this on the news, but they aren't really sure if it was a model rocket for sure, but still, imagine being that pilot and see what looks like a SAM coming at you! :lol:

PS: Your signature image is broke there Chipstone. ;)

Scrooge McDuck

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbitermap.no-ip.org
Ha, good stunt :lol:
Though reading the article and description of the pilot it could not have been a model rocket, as this John Etgen confirms. At apogee there is no "thick smoke trail" anymore, although the pilot could have meant something else. It also doesn't tell how near it was.

regards

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Ha, good stunt :lol:
Though reading the article and description of the pilot it could not have been a model rocket, as this John Etgen confirms. At apogee there is no "thick smoke trail" anymore, although the pilot could have meant something else.

Well, if it is a second stage ignited by the delay charge of the parachute system, it could smoke in 5000 ft.

A rather modern shoulder launched SAM (newer than the SA-7) would also not show any smoke at 5000 ft - their apogee is at 6000 ft in ideal situations and they don't smoke as much as model rockets. Also, they are already burned out in about 1000 ft.

Scrooge McDuck

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbitermap.no-ip.org
For some reason I was assuming that the pilot reported it was at apogee, but after reading the article again, you could be right about a 2nd stage (or a long burning first stage). It indeed says "fast moving".
Anyhow I wasn't saying that it was a SAM either :)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
For some reason I was assuming that the pilot reported it was at apogee, but after reading the article again, you could be right about a 2nd stage (or a long burning first stage). It indeed says "fast moving".
Anyhow I wasn't saying that it was a SAM either :)

The article speculated about a SAM, so I added it. ;)

Making a model rocket which has a visible smoke trail in 5000 ft is no problem.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Easier said than done ;), at least I'm trying... Though I would be happy already if it reached 1/5 of that altitude.

LOL, If i would be allowed handling such chemicals, I would do it. ;)

spcefrk

AeroEng
Donator
Reaction score
All you have to do for a smoke trail is burn oil. That's what RC planes use... But that'll burn pretty pale white unless you mix something in with it.

TheMinister

Reaction score
Hehe, makes you wonder whether model rockets could be used as cheap ammo for terrorists etc. I suppose if you put a large amount of black powder in the body, ontop of a basic motor, with the right sequence of fusing you could get one hell of a bang at the end of the flight.

Although something tells me it'd be rather pathetic...

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hehe, makes you wonder whether model rockets could be used as cheap ammo for terrorists etc. I suppose if you put a large amount of black powder in the body, ontop of a basic motor, with the right sequence of fusing you could get one hell of a bang at the end of the flight.

Although something tells me it'd be rather pathetic...

Already been thought of and panicked about by our government idiots. After 9/11 they started restricting model rocketry, in addition to all the other madness we have suffered. So a terrorist could still build his own rocket in a basement from things found in nature and hardware stores, but the rest of us who have no ill intentions and who obey the law must lose more freedom because of some fools in DC who cannot find their own ass with both hands and a mirror.

Xantcha

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Why would a terrorist want to build a model rocket?
I mean, a single trucker with a heavy load of gasoline is way more dangerous than entire country's rocket-modeilng community.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Why would a terrorist want to build a model rocket?
I mean, a single trucker with a heavy load of gasoline is way more dangerous than entire country's rocket-modeilng community.

The Hamas does nothing else, but model rocketry. They build rocket candy rockets for years now and shoot them against cities in Israel.

Xantcha

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So US model rocketry has something to do with hamas? It supports them or what?

Seriosly so - Gasa strip is interesting place - standard suicide bobmber practice doesn't work there very well, so they have to use mortars and low-tech rocket substitutes.

My point was - there is a lot more efficient ways to do psychoogical warfare than using candy rockets. Hospital arson is easy, a lot more firghtenting and does not require costly explosives. Damn, even simple series of sniper shootouts in major cities will do.
Why would terrorist wan't a flying bomb? Isn't it too much tinkeruing when a simple bobm can do same thing without risking rocket mishaps?

simonpro

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Why would terrorist wan't a flying bomb?

You may remember a few years ago when a few 'flying bombs' crashed into some rather tall buildings and a five sided building. Those seemed to work pretty well for the terrorists, although they were on a slightly larger scale.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Also: If you could cause damage from a few kilometer distance without your life being at risk, wouldn't you love the plan? of course, you maybe need to sacrifice some idiots as GNC computer. But producing a new one takes only a woman and a few years. Alternately, you just make the people in a country so stupid, that they think this is a great plan.

reverend

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I don't think my rocket was the one described by the pilot here. I did launch a rocket on that day from Maine to Houston (trying to hit Tex's house), but the pilot would have reported seeing a plasma trail not a smoke trail. I don't think think it was mine.

Btw: Tex, did you catch that one?

Xantcha

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You may remember a few years ago when a few 'flying bombs' crashed into some rather tall buildings and a five sided building. Those seemed to work pretty well for the terrorists, although they were on a slightly larger scale.

Those were guided attacks. But making "real" guiding system for rocket is hi-tech. Modern airliners are hi-tech as well. You can't mass produce them - you either buy them or steal them. (I guess those airliners were not produced by some fanatical aeromodeller in his garage)

And sure rocket modelling is not the safest activity (unlike, say, playing orbiter ). But that fear of terrorists using model rockets.. Damn, one can kill a man with spoon, so what - ban spoons?
I don't see any advantage in using model rockets for terror purpose. How is it going to be used - a bucnh of fantical rocket modellers will attacj from suburbs and get away? Or may be Mexican insurgents will start bombing border-villages with handmade rockets? This just does not work, and if i wan't to kill a bunch of civilains while being few kilometers away, I'd rather plant a bomb well and leave the place for good.