General Question Near-future station addons?

Reaction score
Which addons would you recommend if I'd like to populate my space with some near-future stations, and perhaps bases? I'd love to have some more targets to visit in my XR2!

Also, do I need to create new scenarios (if so, how?) to have them in my world?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Which addons would you recommend if I'd like to populate my space with some near-future stations, and perhaps bases? I'd love to have some more targets to visit in my XR2!

Also, do I need to create new scenarios (if so, how?) to have them in my world?

Usually yes, but you can use the scenario editor to make this easier.

I have a coarse plan for a "DG-tech era" economy add-on of space stations, space docks and a family of large cargo ships, but my final exam tomorrow is a good reason to not do too much there... :lol:

Reaction score
Usually yes, but you can use the scenario editor to make this easier.

I have a coarse plan for a "DG-tech era" economy add-on of space stations, space docks and a family of large cargo ships, but my final exam tomorrow is a good reason to not do too much there... :lol:

That would be an absolute game-changer!

Best of luck with your exam :thumbup:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
That would be an absolute game-changer!

Best of luck with your exam :thumbup:

I'll need all luck I can get. :lol:

Topic is "Business Engineering" and I am not permitted to take any kind of notes with me - all has to fit into memory, and I feel like I suffer from dementia. Some years ago, I was able to squeeze a large table of solid propellant types and their properties into my brain for a university exam, like being able to sort the propellants by the characteristic velocity...

Reaction score
Since there are hardly any pre-made stations I can download for Orbiter 2016, I thought that I might use the scenario editor and building block mods such as this:

https://www.orbithangar.com/showAddon.php?id=a5eb0698-b86a-472d-9395-e43fb16fa897

The problem is, their parts don't show up in the "vessels" list when I'm trying to create a new one. Is there a way to do that manually? Or is building a station by docking modules together a bad idea?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Since there are hardly any pre-made stations I can download for Orbiter 2016, I thought that I might use the scenario editor and building block mods such as this:

https://www.orbithangar.com/showAddon.php?id=a5eb0698-b86a-472d-9395-e43fb16fa897

The problem is, their parts don't show up in the "vessels" list when I'm trying to create a new one. Is there a way to do that manually? Or is building a station by docking modules together a bad idea?

You must move the configuration files for the vessels to show up in the scenario editor into the config/vessels folder. Some older add-ons predate the scenario editor.

Reaction score
They do show up, but it looks like they're all crashing the game immediately. I suppose that old addons just don't want to be used anymore ;)

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Space station building blocks uses Spacecraft3 for some modules, so yeah, I don't think they would work very nicely anymore...

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
I wonder if we could call for a "Summer of Stations"?

Everybody interested picks a moon or planet of his liking. Whenever weather is rainy outside, he or she does a little work on it. Could be orbital stations, bases on moons and planets, or scenery landscapes which get a base marker.

This might give some interesting targets to explore in Orbiter. :idea:

Nikogori

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
orbinautjp.github.io
Adding space stations is much easier than adding bases or spaceships because space stations don't have to land.
Here are some space stations I'm using in Orbiter 2016:

Station V from 2001 A SPACE ODYSSEY

vvhUhBs.png

O'Neill Island 3 Colony v0.9

FgAFefK.png

Space Elevator, release 4

Lo2yU4q.png

There are some minor glitches in Orbiter 2016 since these addons are originally made for Orbiter 2010 or 2006. But you can still dock to them and enjoy the view.

Reaction score
I wonder if we could call for a "Summer of Stations"?

Everybody interested picks a moon or planet of his liking. Whenever weather is rainy outside, he or she does a little work on it. Could be orbital stations, bases on moons and planets, or scenery landscapes which get a base marker.

This might give some interesting targets to explore in Orbiter. :idea:

That’s an amazing idea! I’m still a complete beginner, but I’m trying to learn the ropes and stations would definitely be the best way to start.

I’ve been toying with the scenario editor and placed a Deepstar in Earth’s orbit, and another one around Mars. This gives me some nice targets, even though framerate drops severely for some reason when I’m approaching them - from 120 to 40. They’re probably not that plausible either, but in my lore they’re old exploration ships which serve as orbital tankers and science hubs. I really enjoy delivering passengers, fuel and LOX to them.

CTarana45

Reaction score
Aldrin Station

No author in the model. I have no Idea where I got model! It wasn't Jon's!

Thanks, Guys!

Christopher Tarana

Attachments

• Aldrin Station.jpg
    Aldrin Station.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 21

Buck Rogers

Major Spacecadet
Reaction score
Pipcard released a space hotel
https://www.orbithangar.com/showAddon.php?id=5aa8db1c-2787-405a-abcb-c61f852cc379
uchu_hoteru.png

Because it's just a simple station it should work 100% in Orb2016 (if VB gets off the ground I was going to release the Kankou Maru with a texture update for the station).

And you'll probably like the TG Habitat from Fred18
https://www.orbithangar.com/showAddon.php?id=5705defd-66bf-445a-a482-56c00eaef47d
tg-screenshot.jpg

It's a kinda tamagotchi for Orbiter, but runs only on Orb2010 (for some things it's still worth installing Orb2010!).
And there are more...