Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
The United States, which has 28,5000 troops in South Korea
That's a typo, right?

On the threats note: do NK have any reasonable military force that is not 50 years out of date?
Because if they have not it could mean a few mis-fired and mis-aimed nukes flying in the region.

What response will there be if NK starts firing in every direction?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
On the threats note: do NK have any reasonable military force that is not 50 years out of date?

The artillery and ballistic missiles are modern. The rest does not seem like that.

What response will there be if NK starts firing in every direction?

If NK starts, China will not defend NK, if the rest of the world decides to turn it into a conventional weapon dump. But for nuclear retaliations I would not expect China to tolerate this.

Eagle

The Amazing Flying Tuna Can
Reaction score
Its just posturing. The DPRK is not suicidal. Their satellite could be shot down and they probably wouldn't retaliate unless it was done in a very overt manner.

Its the fact that they are likely to proliferate weapons based on the rocket's component technologies is the problem.

Ark

Reaction score
I wasn't aware we had any intention of shooting at it.

I say let them have their little victory and put their little 1 megapixel camera into orbit.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score

I say let them have their little victory and put their little 1 megapixel camera into orbit.

The problem, I believe, is that that violates the restriction placed on them regarding no ballistics.

They're intentionally violating that restriction, and letting that slide would be more harmful than enforcing it, I think. It's the principle of the thing.

Yoda

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Any missle testing that has the potential of putting ANYTHING in orbit by North Korea in my opinion needs to be prevented at all cost.

In it's current state North Korea is dangerous not only to it's neigbours but also to the western world and I hope Japan and the US will collaberate to bring this missle down as soon as it leaves it's launchpad.

Eagle

Reaction score
Officially no. And we probably won't do anything.

But the President was briefed with options (kinetic intercept, airborne laser etc.)

The laser options have the fun deniability factor. Full spectrum cameras might notice the rocket is a little brighter in one frequency than it should have been, but its a difficult thing to prove.

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
just Kinetic Intercept and lasers ? wear are the nukes ?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The laser options have the fun deniability factor. Full spectrum cameras might notice the rocket is a little brighter in one frequency than it should have been, but its a difficult thing to prove.

Especially difficult as North Korea has no tracking network. The first notification of success of their satellite would be 1.25 hours later, when the satellite passes over China.

Scarecrow

Reaction score
just Kinetic Intercept and lasers ? wear are the nukes ?
Any time you want to detonate a nuclear weapon over the Sea of Japan, be my guest. Just don't come crying to me when the intelligence services of every country come swarming over your house, asking why you broke the comprehensive nuclear test ban treaty, and probably started a war.

Ark

Reaction score
The problem, I believe, is that that violates the restriction placed on them regarding no ballistics.

They're intentionally violating that restriction, and letting that slide would be more harmful than enforcing it, I think. It's the principle of the thing.

Ah, I didn't know that we prohibited them from having anything at all.

In that case, methinks we have a fun opportunity to try out our airborne death ray.

Eagle

Reaction score
Ah, I didn't know that we prohibited them from having anything at all.

In that case, methinks we have a fun opportunity to try out our airborne death ray.
Well be a little suspicious if it doesn't reach orbit then. A laser could cause failure that might not include breakup of the rocket (before it impacts the ocean). Disabling a control surface, gimbals, flight instrument or computer is more than enough.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Well be a little suspicious if it doesn't reach orbit then. A laser could cause failure that might not include breakup of the rocket (before it impacts the ocean). Disabling a control surface, gimbals, flight instrument or computer is more than enough.

Yup. At that point we can just be like "Oh, your rocket didn't make orbit? Sorry to hear that."

simonpro

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Seeing as America now has an adult in charge hopefully we'll see an adult response from America. I'd expect nothing less.
Blowing the property of another country out of the sky is a particularly childish (yet perversely fun) response, IMO.

Nevertheless, I find it quite interesting how, now that Hamas is restocking, the "dem be evil" branch of the media has wondered off to complain about North Korea instead. The somewhat stupid core of the world's population - who no doubt watch reality TV - will be quaking in their boots. Dem commies gonna nuke us! Perhaps we can even make a reality TV show about whatever city is incinerated. "Survivor Idol: Big Brother is lost dancing on plutonium."

Not that I'm at all cynical about the media, you understand.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, North Korea is no threat to the USA as whole. But sure annoying. Too bad, the media educated world only sees NK as one-man show. Nobody really asks if Kim Jong Il at least has a cook.

simonpro

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see what happens when he bins it. I believe his Son is supposed to take over, but his son seems a very different person to him. Maybe NK will change a lot over the next few years.