Launch News Mystery missile launched off US Pacific Coast near LA

Dambuster

Reaction score
Are you sure about the contrail thing? The way the 'contrail' looked right after leaving the 'thing' didn't look anything like any contrail I've ever seen. In addition to that, check out this video around 0:44: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/11/09/national/main7036716.shtml?tag=contentMain;contentBody. What do you think of the way the thing appears to be illuminated? At first, the colour made me think it was definitely a missile, then right before the screen changes, it looks a bit green.

EDIT: Also, look at this picture -
abc_missile_101109_mn.jpg
. Just the way it's curved doesn't look like something a plane would do.

Last edited:

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
What do you think of the way the thing appears to be illuminated? At first, the colour made me think it was definitely a missile, then right before the screen changes, it looks a bit green.
Most likely a specular sun reflection from the vertical stabiliser?

EDIT: Also, look at this picture -
abc_missile_101109_mn.jpg
. Just the way it's curved doesn't look like something a plane would do.
Planes follow curved paths too, at constant altitude.

lennartsmit

Reaction score
If this was a plane wouldn't there be lots of contrails from other jets as it's not far from LA?

DoyleChris

Reaction score
I live in michigan and many times i have seen contrails from jets going east and west in the sky, at dusk. and i must say that does not look like a contrail to me, also since it is at sun set if it is heading east with the sun setting behind it on the horizon the plane would be illumanated by the sun and it would be bright. also if it was heading west you still would see it in front of the contrail. never in the video did i see a shimmer from the (plane if it is one), it should have been bright as day the whole time.

lennartsmit

Reaction score

FuzzyLogic

Reaction score
I live in michigan and many times i have seen contrails from jets going east and west in the sky, at dusk. and i must say that does not look like a contrail to me, also since it is at sun set if it is heading east with the sun setting behind it on the horizon the plane would be illumanated by the sun and it would be bright. also if it was heading west you still would see it in front of the contrail. never in the video did i see a shimmer from the (plane if it is one), it should have been bright as day the whole time.

In the video on the BBC site you can see a glimmer on the top of the pillar of smoke that might be the plane. However, I've also seen my share of contrails from eastbound jets, and that surely does not look like one.

I'm placing my bets on a mad scientist bent on world domination operating from a a)rogue submarine b)secret underwater base. For the sake of aesthetics, mostly :lol:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Also, it looks in the still images, as if the "path" crosses a layer of high cirrostratus clouds - such clouds are usually around the cruise altitude of planes.

statisticsnerd

Reaction score
I clearly see a fireball @ 0:20-0:25 in this video:

Now I'm not a scientist of any kind, but as a layperson who has seen plenty of contrails/ commercial aircraft flying, I have NEVER seen a plane that flies at a 50-60 degree angle and has fire coming out of it.

Last edited:

JonnyBGoode

Sky Marshal
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm placing my bets on a mad scientist bent on world domination operating from a a)rogue submarine b)secret underwater base. For the sake of aesthetics, mostly :lol:
Dr. Steel has not been replying to my emails on the subject...

Linguofreak

Reaction score
I clearly see a fireball @ 0:20-0:25 in this video:
YouTube - Missile Launched Off Calif. Coast

Now I'm not a scientist of any kind, but as a layperson who has seen plenty of contrails/ commercial aircraft flying, I have NEVER seen a plane that flies at a 50-60 degree angle and has fire coming out of it.

Thing is, at that time of day, it could be a reflection of sunlight off the plane. If this had been filmed with a blue sky at noon, I'd definitely agree with you, as that color couldn't be anything other than flame at that time of day. But with the lighting conditions in the video I can't say for certain if it's a fireball or not. I'm also not sure if the apparent 50/60 degree angle is the actual angle it's flying at, or if it's simply an optical effect.

The contrail, however, does look very weird for a jet aircraft.

JonnyBGoode

Sky Marshal
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I have to agree, the images don't look like any jet aircraft contrail I've ever seen, and I grew up around Edwards and Vandenberg.

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
It could be a rocket launching a :probe:
:hailprobe:
BLASPHEMY! WE ALL KNOW THERE IS ONLY ONE :probe:!
:hailprobe:
And I have to agree, I have never seen a contrail like that in my life, it is a missile, ICBM or something not unlike a rocket launching.

Darren

FordPrefect

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Right. So if this actually was a missile climbing steeply into the sky, then please explain why the trail is lit by the same red sunset color from "bottom to the top"? Even if it only climbed a few thousand meters, you would see a change in the color pattern, as it would rise into (continously) changing light scattering levels.

Sky Captain

Reaction score
If it was plane wouldn't it be easy to confirm it from ATC radar logs? I think that positions of comercial planes are well known at all times especially near such crowded place like LA.

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
No (commercial jet) plane takes off at that steep an attitude.
I agree about the ATC logs, from those it would be (relatively) simple to rule out or confirm if it was a plane.

Darren

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
No (commercial jet) plane takes off at that steep an attitude.

Correct. it was already in flight.

Imagine this. Stand out in a field, clear skies look at the horizon.
A jet flies over at 30,000+ it leaves a contrail. Now image it makes a course change to the left.

What would you have?

That image is not of a rocket but an aircraft doing exactly what I describe above. The brain interprets the "bottom" of the plume as being on the ground when in reality it's over the horizon.