Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
but isn't this sort of what Celestia is?
Celestia and Space Engine are "fly around the universe as a spirit".

Spaceway is "Orbiter stretched to infinity, procedurally generated all the way". You can actually fly ships there, much like in Orbiter, and will find a lot of familiar things, like TransX, UAP, and all the SC3 vessels that OH contains.

Imagine that in Orbiter every star, every nebula, every blob in the sky is reachable, with no transitions or cut-scenes, fully populated with planets, moons and trees. That's the kind of infinite it is.

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
Celestia and Space Engine are "fly around the universe as a spirit".

Spaceway is "Orbiter stretched to infinity, procedurally generated all the way". You can actually fly ships there, much like in Orbiter, and will find a lot of familiar things, like TransX, UAP, and all the SC3 vessels that OH contains.

Imagine that in Orbiter every star, every nebula, every blob in the sky is reachable, with no transitions or cut-scenes, fully populated with planets, moons and trees. That's the kind of infinite it is.

That sounds...dare I say this, for the Probe might smite me:p...like it makes Orbiter obsolete?

And those screenshots are pretty amazing too :)

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
That sounds...dare I say this, for the Probe might smite me:p...like it makes Orbiter obsolete?
Not even close. :)
Orbiter is much more precise, and geared towards realism and real vessels and places.

Spaceway is about fitting as much content in as little description.
Procedural generation.
A universe on a floppy.
Telling a program a description of a pointy vessel with wings in so many words, and getting a 3D model of it generated.
Describing a harmonic distribution, and getting sounds out.

Things like that.
Unfortunately, that all comes at the expense of playability and game-ness, so it remains quite obscure.

vinny5000

Reaction score
Hi, guys!

I'm now 220,301 AU or about 32,956,666,000,000 kilometers away from earth and moving at the speed of 720,135 kilometers per second!

Cheers,
Vincent

---------- Post added at 07:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 PM ----------

Hi, guys!

I'm sorry! I posted the previous post in the wrong thread. Please forgive me. Thanks! I meant to post the previous post in my epic space travels thread.

Cheers,
Vincent

Treetop64

Reaction score

And those screenshots are pretty amazing too :)

I tried Space Engine for a bit, and while it is very pretty, it is significantly dumbed down compared to Orbiter. Orbiter has nothing to worry about.

All there is to do is to fly a free camera to celestial bodies and around the rest of the universe with the WASD keys. While it is interesting for the first few session, the novelty soon wears off and you get bored with it very quickly.

Alternatively, there is a basic orbital mechanic and some ships to play around with. However, the former is too simplified and buggy, and there isn't anything to do with the latter. The ships only have exterior views, and there is no system modelling. You can fly the ships around using the engines, but again controls are basic. Using the Hyperspace function always resulted in a CTD, so if I wanted to go to distant locations I had to use the WASD free camera.

IMO Orbiter is much better in that it has much more depth, there is so much more to actually do and keep you busy, and it can be an excellent educational resource. Besides, with some downloadable addons it looks good enough to be realistic, and that's pretty enough for me!

Last edited:

vinny5000

Reaction score
Hi, Treetop64!

I use space engine all the time! Don't worry, space engine will be more in-depth eventually. Space engine 0.9.7.1 which was released back on Christmas day of 2013 which included the HUD, mini panel, ect. The current version of space engine is 0.9.7.2 which was released a day after Christmas of 2014. Space engine 0.9.7.3 will be a bug fix for space engine 0.9.7.2., and space engine 0.9.7.4 will be a major update.

Cheers,
Vincent

Falconstare

Reaction score
Website
www.falconstare.com
It's been entertaining to see your adventures so far. You said earlier that you just leave Orbiter open with engines blasting away I was wondering, do you have a dedicated computer set up for this, or do you do other stuff on the computer while orbiter is running?

vinny5000

Reaction score
Hi, guys!

I'm now 227,320 AU or 34,006,400,000,000 kilometers away from the sun and moving at the speed of 673,318 kilometers per second!! Sorry if this thread is old. Please forgive me. Thanks!

Cheers,
Vincent

Keatah

Reaction score
inbound? outbound?
I know there was some uncertainty a while back..