My first add-on

santy86

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I am almost at the end of the development of my first add-on. It is a saturn INT-21. A heavy lifter used only once in reality to send the skylab station in orbit. Although before the realease I need the permission to post this add-on to public.
Basically i used meshes from NASSP 6.4.0. Only the meshes regarding the saturn INT-21 (1st stage, second stage, interstage and fairings).
Moreover I use the skylab add-on by Usonian (of course as payload :) NOT MODIFIED).
So before the release I wanna be sure that both Usonian and the guy who designed the INT-21 part of NASSP agree.

Last edited:

santy86

Reaction score
For the final version, i planned to use a standard orbiter attachment. Such that the saturn INT-21 can be used to launch anything up to 80 metric tons of weight to a LEO. It works also if there is a CVEL child attached or a Multistage vessel.

After the first release i could also think of an autopilot (if i don't get very stressed by university exams).

Anyway i hope you will enjoy and i wait for approval from Usonian

Thanks for the interest, :cheers:

Santy

Last edited:

santy86

Reaction score

I just finished everything about staging and the add-on is ready. Just optional fairings are needed.

I will add tomorrow an automatic deorbiting system for the 2nd stage which will be activated at payload jettison.

Usonian

Historic Ship & Base Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
This looks like a good project! As I understand it, NASSP is open source under a GNU v2 license - you should read it over before you issue your addon. Here's a link:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.txt

Under the terms of this license you can use any part of NASSP you care to, without any further permissions, provided that you give full credit to the original authors, and provided that your addon is also issued under a GNU license.

I applaud the generosity of the NASSP people, and the principle of open source software, but find myself too emotionally immature to match it:dry: Skylab1973 is not open source. Users must download it separately. However, once they have it, users can play with it any way they like - hook it up to your Saturn, or a Buran or a Burchismo BSP, dock it to ISS, or place it in a geodesic sphere as an orbiting museum! So long as developers direct users to download Skylab1973 separately, they can write up any scenarios they care to, using all of it, or any of its parts. It can only increase my download numbers and inflate my childish sense of self worth:lol:

I am currently working on version 2 of Skylab1973, mostly adding Skylab Reuse meshes and scenarios to be used in conjunction with Orbiter's stock Atlantis, or any of the various Shuttle add-ons (which I will direct my users to download separately, of course;) ). I was also going to do a Multistage2 launch scenario with meteroid shields and Solar Array No. 2 breaking off a minute into the flight. I don't expect to release version 2 any time soon, but the shield pieces are done and they will work with version 1. I would be happy to send them to you now to use with your addon. You mentioned doing general purpose fairings for your Saturn-INT21. My Skylab begins life as a Multistage vessel with its own fairings, so I am guessing you could configure the meteorid sheilds and solar array as a 3-piece fairing for Saturn-INT21. (In my Multistage Saturn scheme I configure the shields as boosters with a miniscule thrust and fuel supply.)

If I like your finished product I will be happy to forget about doing my own launch meshes and scenarios and just direct users of Skylab to download your addon. Good luck!

santy86

Reaction score
Hi Usonian,

The idea of general purpose fairings is just a fairing that can be added to the saturn independently of the cargo you attach to the saturn itself.

As i mentioned in a previous post, This saturn will be able to lift anything up to 80 tons to LEO. That's why I had the idea to let the user remove fairings when they are not needed by adding NOFAIR in the scenario file.

In your SkylabLaunchConfig there are already fairings so a user will not need the general purpose fairings.
If somebody plans to launch a satellite which dimensionally fits inside the fairings he will create a scenario File without the line NOFAIR.

Today I hope to add the deorbiting autopilot for second stage (never leave loose trash in space) :p

About your meteoroid shields, I don't know what they are :lol: but if you want i can give it a look.

Usonian

Historic Ship & Base Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I am at work now (stealing some e-mail time from the boss). I will send you the shields and some info about them this evening. Due to design and installation errors the shields were ripped off by aerodynamic pressure about 60 seconds into the flight, exposing the gold foil "underskin." The shields carried away one of the main solar arrays and debris from the accident jambed the second array, preventing it from opening in orbit. The shields were also to serve as sun shades, so without them Skylab quickly overheated. The first crew launch was delayed a week while NASA worked out emergency repair materials and procedures.

The Skylab launch was a disaster on par with the Apollo 13 explosion, except for the important difference that with Skylab only the machine was at risk. I doubt that Ron Howard will be doing a big-budget Skylab movie.

santy86

Reaction score
Ok as promised i uploaded this add-on to orbithangar

But it seems it will take a while before appearing in the list of launchers

because it must be approved by the administrators

Bye,

Santy

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Nice work santy86,

The good news about Orbit Hanger is that once you've been approved for uploading, you won't have to wait for your next one.

santy86

Reaction score
Finally here it is, on orbithangar

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3383"]Saturn INT-21[/ame]

Have fun with it and report bugs or feedbacks

Santy

Tschachim

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
nassp.sf.net
Hi santy86,

congratulations to your first add-on, good job! :speakcool:

I'm happy to to see our NASSP meshes being used, however the way you released your add-on, you're violating the GPL license, which you need to obey if you want to use NASSP meshes.

You need to:

• include the source code of your skyLaunch.dll or provide it as an additional download link, mentioned in the SaturnINT21.txt for example.
  • make clear that your add-on is licensed under the GPL, too (by mention it in SaturnINT21.txt for example).
  • include the GPL itself as a text file (see the link posted by Usonian above)
Please change/fix these points if you want to use the NASSP meshes, otherwise you need to remove them from your add-on, I fear.

Cheers
Tschachim

Tschachim

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
nassp.sf.net
Yes, I just checked the updated version, now it's fine, thanks.
Keep up your great work! :)

Cheers
Tschachim

santy86

Reaction score
I will keep it up for sure

but call it great looks a little exagerate :lol:

santy86

Reaction score
Wow i just checked the downloads 106 in 1 day :lol: ,
i wouldn't expect so many. In any case, the add-on is not finished yet, it will be improved soon. Maybe i will use other meshes from the standard saturn V contained in NASSP (i am really bad in anim8or :lol: ) 1st and 2nd stage. I will think about a launch autopilot and finally try to prepare general purpose fairings, such that users will be able to create scenarios with their desired heavy payload.

If somebody has suggestion for improvements, he's welcome to post them :)

santy86

Reaction score
Hi people,

I had progresses in the meanwhile with the INT-21 and will be releasing soon a version with fairings ;)

Last edited: