Monentized Youtube Videos and Orbiter.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Can you-tube videos of Orbiter be monetized?

Either way, I think the license is a little vague regarding the issue.

Specifically, this part: You will not use Orbiter or any parts of it to advertise, promote, present or sell any software or other product without explicit prior written permission by the licensor.*

*http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/terms.html

insanity

Blastronaut
Donator
Reaction score
Vague? What part of the clause "other product without explicit prior permission" is vague?

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
You can tell that [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cuCV-yNjfM"]this[/ame] guy is a Youtube Partner (link to his channel is a picture that says "Far Lands or Bust" (his Minecraft series) instead of the username).

By the way, is Minecraft the key to Youtube popularity?

Last edited:

theflyingfish

Falling with Style
Reaction score
By the way, is Minecraft the key to Youtube popularity?

Yes.

I've seen a couple Youtubers average as many as 10,000 views per video when they do Minecraft, but then lose all their viewers and average about 500 when they try to do something else.

ctye85 is a good example. He's a small-time You-Tuber who averaged about 1,000 views on his Minecraft videos, but then stopped doing them because #1. He had done about 300 of them and was sick of Minecraft, and #2. A lot of the Minecraft viewers would scream at him in the comments whenever he released less than 1 video per day, and he got sick of the Minecraft fanbase in general. Now his other vids (LP's of popular games like Final Fantasy, Dead Space 2, etc.) average about 100-200 views. Apparently Minecraft addicts are part shark, part drug addict. They are drawn to Minecraft videos like a shark to blood, and then turn vicious when the producer gets tired and stops making them.

Last edited:

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
As far as my understanding goes, it is ok. Plenty of people already do exactly that with other games and until now that's been legal. There's a new law proposal (not sure what happened to it, though), that would - due to its clumsy writing - make such videos fall within the copyright of the game's distributors...

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Been there before. The first photo-editing / drawing programs also tried to claim copyright over the work done with them.

A lawyer could twist the license terms to prove anything.
Just playing devil's advocate here, but if we quote to the letter "any software or other product" then it is OK to promote a service (a service is not a product) - simulated flight lessons for example!

On the other hand, isn't a video/image/site using of Orbiter promoting Orbiter itself? Is that also against the license? It might be.

Bottom line, it is a matter for lawyers, open to many interpretations and with many issues regarding enforceability.

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Please don't overlook the spirit of the license. It basically means you agree not to derive income from Orbiter, and while legal disputes may prove and disprove everything, the community is likely to frown down on the violator, whatever lawyers say. If anybody is greedy enough to hire legal counsel to defend his profiteering off Martin's unpaid work... well, let's say I'm less than impressed by that person.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
That sounds pretty clear in my opinion.

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
well, from what i was taught in my copyright law class in college, this could quite possibly fall under the "composer/interpreter" scenario....

where the person who makes the video is an "interpreter" creating a new piece derived from the work of the "composer", which is Martin in this case...

the law is quite clear on that - BOTH parties are entitled to gains, in a percentage which i fail to remember (and possibly differs denepnding on the situation)

interestingly enough - there would only be a copyright violation if either of the two parties fails to receice his share....

now, it's common courtesy to go by what is said on the copyright notice (which Martin didn't write just for kicks, i suppose) - but if someone does happen to make money out of a youtube video featuring orbiter, then Martin should be able to claim his rightful part of it

unless i'm mistaken... (which i'm aware happens often enough) :rolleyes:

insanity

Blastronaut
Donator
Reaction score
Well one of the primary eligibility factors for YouTube partnership is owning and having the legal ability to monetize the videos you create, no exceptions.

This is a bit more complicated than a pure composer/interpreter scenario. For one, add-on developers also own their intellectual property and would be entitled to monetary gains creating a very complicated profit-sharing formula. More importantly, is the fact that the it would be hard to argue that your use of the product is substantially original enough to warrant the interpreter scenario.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Vague? What part of the clause "other product without explicit prior permission" is vague?

What's vague is whether "advertise, promote, present, or sell" includes "create". My gut feeling is that Martin's intention is that it should, but I have no idea what a court would say.

Anyhow, the primary market for such videos would probably be Orbiter users, and regardless of the legalities, the controversy over monetized Orbiter videos would likely kill sales.

---------- Post added at 12:36 ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 ----------

well, from what i was taught in my copyright law class in college, this could quite possibly fall under the "composer/interpreter" scenario....

where the person who makes the video is an "interpreter" creating a new piece derived from the work of the "composer", which is Martin in this case...

the law is quite clear on that - BOTH parties are entitled to gains, in a percentage which i fail to remember (and possibly differs denepnding on the situation)

With regards to making videos with Orbiter showing only meshes and textures made by the person making the video, I wouldn't want to even touch the composer/interpreter scenario. 'Cause if you allow Martin to charge royalties on videos made with Orbiter, you allow Microsoft to charge royalties on books written using Microsoft Word. (I don't have much problem, though, with the use of a freeware license for non-commercial use, and a payware license for commercial use, or simply forbidding commercial use entirely).

Of course, the whole situation changes if you're using stock orbiter meshes and textures in your video, or if you're using 3rd party addons. Then it's equivalent (in the "stock orbiter meshes" scenario) to using Microsoft clip art in the book you write using Word (I'm not certain how MS licenses their clip art, but they certainly could charge royalties on its use), or (in the "3rd party addons" scenario) to writing Luke Skywalker into your book (in which case George Lucas would probably drop by looking for a royalty check).

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
On the point of "profit", look at Linux distributions. Some are sold... BUT there's a difference between profit and income.

Isn't this forum paid (hosting) ? Are therefore the admins profiting from Orbiter? Certainly not :) !