Missles over newfoundland?

Shadow Addict

Reaction score

Sky Captain

Reaction score
Looks like a rocket to me although I`m wondering why would France (if it really is launched from that french island) or any other country secretly launch a missile so close to a border of a foreign country. It`s a recipe for diplomatic disaster and air traffic hazard. I suppose if you want to secretly test a missile you would do it either in your territory or in the middle of the ocean far from any unwanted eyes.

Blacklight

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
That thing definitely looks like a meteor to me. The woman says that it looked like it came out of the ocean and then flew overhead. I'm betting that it hit the atmosphere below or very low on the horizon. I've seen a few meteors in the daytime that look just like that picture.

Turbinator

Reaction score
Looking odd, a rocket's exhaust is supposed to be brighter at the tip and dimmer at the tail end. And this is just reverse.

It looks like it is going up and away from the camera, that would explain the brightness at the bottom of the exhaust. It's all in the perspective.

Bloodworth

Orbinoob
Reaction score
Why did it have to be a ballistic missile? Could it be a cruise missile instead?

A cruise missile would be flying at a MUCH lower altitude and would be using a small jet engine, not a large rocket engine.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Necroposting, anyone? ;)

I'm surprised I missed this in the news, actually. I'm sure most people thought that since it was in the sky and not an airplane, it was obviously AN ALIEN SPACESHIP OMG!! That really disappoints me.

Also, there is a smoke trail there. Can no one else see it? :blink:

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
I'm starting to lean towards rocket after manipulating the pixel data a bit.

notice the obvious linear separation between the "front" and the "back" also the smoothing that occurs in picture C on the front and the flaring of the back when I averaged the pixels together.

Attachments

• objectpixeldata.jpg
    objectpixeldata.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 24

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Willing to bet it isn't a meteor, it was moving slow enough for someone to grab a camera but I want to see a better eyewitness account before making conclusions. If this is a foreign missile so close to another country it could have serious implications.

Chipstone306

Reaction score
It wasn't my launches causing that one... Mine have oly made it to 500 feet. jk
Since ive lived in N.S. I've seen a lot of things fall fromt he sky over us I have seen daytime meteors round here that looked a lot like that..