Mission to the Moon for High School

bruhaha

Reaction score
Fellow Orbinauts,
I am looking for help in designing a simulation for high school-aged kids for Challenger Centers around the world. Students would watch short videos captured from Orbiter interspersed with math or data analysis activities to help them navigate to the Moon. We would use Orbiter to create stock video to be replayed from within our own software interface. This is all necessary because of the very short timeframe involved for students to conduct the activities.

It would go something like this:
  1. 1. Launch. Watch ARES/ Saturn launch the CEV and get into a parking orbit around the Earth.
  2. 2. Dock. Conduct a manual dock of CEV with Altair/EDS.
  3. 3. TLI. Conduct a math or data table analysis activity to determine the time and place and other parameters needed for a TLI. Input the information (into our own interface). Click “initiate maneuvers”, and watch Orbiter video as TLI is initiated.
  4. 4. MCC. Conduct an activity to determine the parameters necessary for a MCC. Initiate. Watch video.
  5. 5. LOI. Conduct an activity to determine the parameters necessary for a LOI. Initiate. Watch video.
  6. 6. Landing. Input lat/long coordinates. Determine necessary speed/ altitude from table as descent occurs.

Where I need help is coming up with the math activities or data tables or charts they could interpret. These need to be the absolute basics and math for like 14 year olds.

For instance, on the landing, I could foresee having a chart which shows Distance to Base on the X axis (3000 km and down) and on the Y axis (double axis, one on the left and one on the right) it would show Speed and Altitude. They would have to fill in a table with speed and altitude for certain distances, say 3000, 2000, 1000, 500, 250, 125, 67, 32, 16, 8 km to base, based on how they interpret the graph.

Or for instance, on the calculating a TLI, they might need to determine at what point in the orbit to execute the maneuver, what velocity is needed, or how long to burn.

So… any ideas or suggestions about the activities, the math, the charts, diagrams, tables or key parameters an extreme newbie could figure out would be much appreciated.