Project Mir station complex / UR-500 family

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Looks very cool, I must say I'm not sure how the parachute used for final descent looked like. I know they made it from some kind of metal because nylon or kevlar just melted or burned in the infernal heat... It was learnt the hard way ! :hailprobe:

We're talking of +460°C, my own small kitchen electrical oven stops at +270°C, and it is enough too make anything from biological origin look completely charred very quickly :D

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Looks very cool, I must say I'm not sure how the parachute used for final descent looked like. I know they made it from some kind of metal because nylon or kevlar just melted or burned in the infernal heat... It was learnt the hard way ! :hailprobe:
I don't think they used the parachute below a certain altitude (don't know what it was, but it was way up), and the vehicle slowed down with the drag of the disk at the top, and landing was cushioned by the disk at the bottom.

MaxBuzz

Reaction score
I don't think they used the parachute below a certain altitude (don't know what it was, but it was way up), and the vehicle slowed down with the drag of the disk at the top, and landing was cushioned by the disk at the bottom.
top cover had its own parachute (since the parachute consists of nitron and fiberglass nitron gradually burned out, the fiberglass lattice remained)
2022-01-31_02-16-15.jpg

MaxBuzz

Reaction score
lunokhod and lander were covered with thermal insulation it is very different from the exhibition in the museum but you can make two 3d models
Безымянный.pngfff8e5e5816d.jpg

there was also an interface like a modern video game
92f9cef310e1f71f957382b86cca4f4f.jpg

Last edited:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The thermal insulation makes a lot of sense. From what I have read, making the Lunokhod able to survive a lunar 14-days night without freezing to death was quite a challenge. In the absence of atmosphere, temperatures plummet to values close from the absolute zero (-273.15°C).

It led to that funny "kettle" design, with the lid closing to keep as much of possible the little heat from the RTG, and the sensitive electronics inside.