Project Mir station complex / UR-500 family

MaxBuzz

Reaction score
from this post it follows that in order to create a parachute, I will have to perform actions different from those I did before
The main difference berteen Spacecraft and VB is that Spacecraft gives a simplified version of the underlying Orbiter's API to the user, while VB tries to make the entire Orbiter API available. This means that the best reference for VB functions and parameters are the Orbiter's API themselves, which I strongly suggest to look at for better reference of the various parameters. In this particular case the best way to create a parachute is to define a variable drag element, as gattis correctly guessed. From the Orbiter's API docs (which can be found in the folder /Orbitersdk/doc/API_Reference.pdf or API_Reference.chm, the definition of variable drag elements are:

So you need to create a variable drag element, bind to an animation, define the reference which is where the drag force applies (i suggest fake symmetrical coordinates) and the factor which I suggest to experiment it a bit with. I haven't checked, but I am pretty sure that in the SC4 docs there si the definition of how speedbrakes work there, so it shouldn't be hard to reverse engineering the factors. Give it a try and in case get back here and I will look into it.

For the dCl I suggest you to look into the Orbiter's API at CreateControlSurface function. there it is defined as

I honestly can't remeber now if the shift is intended as a change in magnitude of the lift or as a position shift of the lift vector, I should make a test because too much time has passed and I can't remember it. But it should be written down in the docs or someone here who has confidence with the OAPIs can surely be helpful.
If you need further explanations feel free to ask!

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
from this post it follows that in order to create a parachute, I will have to perform actions different from those I did before

I just did that for Tianwen, tell me, I can send you the code. Also I'd be more than eager to work on Soyuz, its just that my "todo" list is quite full...

MaxBuzz

Reaction score
I just did that for Tianwen, tell me, I can send you the code. Also I'd be more than eager to work on Soyuz, its just that my "todo" list is quite full...
I know that you have a lot of things to do, and I don't want to distract you, I just have to get out of the comfort zone. your parachute is registered in the DLL module, I can't even imagine how it works :)

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
No really, working on the Soyuz would be like the ultimate achievement for me, I really love this unique spacecraft that successfully went through the ages. Listen, send me the sources files, and I'll see what I can do for the parachute.

What we need to do is the exact parachute sequence : I think to remember Soyuz uses first a pilot chute (extractor), then a drogue one, then the main. I have the book "Soyuz, an Universal Spacecraft" with me, I can check that, it really goes into the details.

I also think to remember that @Urwumpe is quite interested in emulating spacecraft OS/software interface and already did some work on the Soyuz.

And that Proton model is nearly done, also the Blok-DM and even that lovely PTK are well in the way, currently it is a bit frustrating because Tianwen turned out to be dozens of hours of work. Well it covers nearly all aspects of spaceflight, so working on others projects shouldn't be that hard after that.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I also think to remember that @Urwumpe is quite interested in emulating spacecraft OS/software interface and already did some work on the Soyuz.

On the old versions until 7K-T, not the newer models. There I lack some information. I have some basic information about the LOK and LK, but not enough for any realistic VC.

MaxBuzz

Reaction score

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
emulating spacecraft OS/software interface
Some years ago I came across the Soyuz simulator software that run on MS-DOS. I think it's this one:

I wonder if this could be made to run inside Orbiter and control a virtual Soyuz (much like the Apollo computer with NASSP)

Of course it's not from 7K-T but perhaps some information can be extracted.
I guess the maneuvers and burns would be the same across Soyuz "models".

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I guess the maneuvers and burns would be the same across Soyuz "models".

Depends - the propulsion system is mostly the same since the Soyuz T model, but the maneuvers changed with the M model and got updated with TMM.

You could use the same building blocks there, for creating a Orbiter implementation, but some configuration management would be needed.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Are they really unfolding like this, even on the later models? I am not sure, but my Soyuz book is still 400 km away, so maybe I am wrong there.

EDIT: See here, this ground test gives you an idea about how the panels are supposed to unfold:

(From 1:00 is the MANUAL unfolding of the panels, aided by weak spring force)

MaxBuzz

Reaction score
7k the same system and all modules of the Mir station (i am working on it)
soyuz-3_integration.jpgphoto_08-15-11.jpg

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Here's my currently in development Zarya FGB. Still lots of detail work to be done as well as the aft SSVPM active docking port for the Zvezda SM/US Interim Control Module (ICM) which was to be used in case of Zvezda launch failure or some other failure which made Zvezda unable to rendezvous with what was ISS at the time (Zarya, PMA-1, Unity and PMA-2).

Attachments

• Zarya_FGB.jpg
    Zarya_FGB.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 7

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
For anyone who might know: Does SSVP-M8000 use the same hardware (vestibule and Hard Capture System) as APDS-95? The only difference is that the hatch has the standard SSVP probe/drogue instead of the APDS-95 inward guide petals and strike plates?