Question Militarization of space

Would you approve of militarization of space?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I will never "support" militarization of anything unless its to protect us from imminent threat.

The problem with that is that by the time there is an imminent threat, it may be too late if that's when you want to start militarizing.

Kurt M. Weber

Reaction score
Certainly.

In fact, government's only legitimate role in space exploration is for bona fide military purposes.

Danny Ramone

Reaction score
Im against the militarization of the planet.... and I'm in the army.

Its just one of those necessary evils, as much as I want world peace, I do not believe that humans should discard their martial skills. I am certain that we are not alone in the universe and it would be extremely naive to believe that there is not a potentially hostile civilization out there somewhere.

That being said there will be no mass conquest of space until one of three things happen: (and owing to the nature of two of them militarization will follow)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wholism - HOLISM means that when faced with an alien civilization the earth will finally become one. An earth military will follow.

- HOLISM also means that without the outside influence of an alien civilization the Earth will eventually become two factions. Militarization of space will follow.

- The third and most unlikely scenario is that the people of earth will finally start working together and explore space for the benefit of all mankind.

My final point is that there are benefits to the military other than the destructive power it possesses. I think the Star Trek model is the best one, the ships are martial in nature but not in their mission. Giving the ability to defend themselves if called upon, but the primary mission is exploration.

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
There is no reason to militarize space.
Even if moon was made of gold, bringing it back to Earth would cause losses.
Military budget has a detrimental effect on economy, according to James F. Dunningan, US war simulation expert and West Point consultant.
In 1982 he said that war could bankrupt US.

What I would ask is: which country wants to be ruined by militarizing vacuum.

If you talk about defending a base in space, that is nearly impossible.
And hitting would be too easy.
And building a base is so expensive that a hit would stop planetary space exploration for a few decades.

How many citizens could be bailed out with the price of a fighter?
How many schools could be built with the price of an aircraft carrier?

There is nothing to fight for in space.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I think that Spacedoughnut means more than just earth based observation/navigation satellites and missiles.

Don't forget Military communications, which is more important than any bullet you fire. Or military weather satellites (which are just like civilian ones, maybe a bit more specialized)

The misuse of the term militarization already expresses the fear of the military. Which already expresses the hope that somebody will not harm you, if you appear just harmless and friendly, and don't show any sign, that you might harm him as well.

Militarization is NOT the creation of special military hardware. Militarization happens, when you have to place a AAA battery into your garden, you have your car taken away from you by the government for transporting officers and your children are taught that they have no other choice, but to fight for their country, regardless of their skills.

Most idiots today really don't know how lucky they are. They can become lazy sunday morning pacifists and declare the war against war. They can grow up, without EVER having to have their ideals put to the test. They enjoy a world where others will always place their heads into the line of fire, for them as well, if they want to or not. You won't see such wannabe pacifists going to a battlefield and make a sit-in between the tanks. They will sit in their comfortable homes. maybe go protesting against war on a sunny weekend day. But even protesting during a rain storm will be too much for them.

They are only those idiots, who learned only to fight against something, but never for something.

Yeah, I dislike them. I think the only true pacifists in the world are soldiers. They know how it is like to be two seconds and a macabre lottery away from an anonymous grave.

PS: So much to my intention to stay passive lurking over the holidays...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I already began worrying that something happened to Urwumpe. Maybe witches had taken him during a hike along Brocken slopes, albeit it would be so unlikely on Christmas. :lol:

Sorry, the "witches" had been my two girls who did not see me in 3D in the last 4 months. :p Enjoyed a great musical today, had relatives and overdoses of food the other days.

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
Peace brought by pacifist soldiers, led by warmonger politicians.
Soldiers are put by politicians in a position where they have no other choice but to kill.

images

images

images

This is the peace of war. When everybody is dead.
I bet many enemy soldiers would be friends if there was no war.

The pen of a politician is more powerful than the gun of a soldier.
A gun can fire bullets.
A pen could leave an entire army without bullets.
That is the power of bureaucracy.
It is at this level that peace can be achieved.

GregBurch

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score

images

images

images

This is the peace of war. When everybody is dead.
I bet many enemy soldiers would be friends if there was no war.

Brilliant! War is bad! I never realized that! Wow! I'm going to have to completely rethink my whole worldview!

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

Shut up and fight... go to a battlefield and protest peacefully. Put flowers into the barrels of tanks. hug sweaty soldiers. Argue with officers about their orders.

I don't see any respect in showing destruction and claim, it will not happen, if you don't fight. You have no clue about the real damages of war. A building can be rebuilt, but the scars in the soul remain. You don't fight for a stupid piece of stapled bricks.

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
The last war was fought for some WMDs that did not exist.

War on terror was supposed to fight money laundering with SEC that had plenty of financial products poorly regulated or not regulated at all. SEC could not even find problems with Madoff business. It is evident that SEC does not have a generic model of money laundering to counteract, prevent and establish proactive measures to spot money laundering attempts.

It was a war paid with debt, which means that in 20 years US grandsons will have to pay the mortgage of this war.

If that's a "good war", I am Elvis.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
If that's a "good war", I am Elvis.

Unless I am completely wrong with the reality of the world, you will be known as Elvis soon. The warfare was bad, but many objectives had been achieved.

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
Unless I am completely wrong with the reality of the world, you will be known as Elvis soon. The warfare was bad, but many objectives had been achieved.

Probably in my head I can't imagine how can you set laundering under control with SEC with so many holes that is as effective as a chain armor against a flamethrower.

images

I am alive, hehehe.:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.