Question Militarization of space

Would you approve of militarization of space?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spacedoughnut

Civil Air Patrol Graduate
Reaction score
Ok, heres a question for you orbiteriers. Would you support the militarization of space?

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
What is that even supposed to mean? There is a lot of military hardware up there.

Spacedoughnut

Reaction score
No. I was just asking, what do you think about it. Do you like it, hate it, don't care about it.

EliNaut

Reaction score
I see what your saying, Spacedoughnut. A least, I think.
Personally, the idea of attaching a weapon on a craft like a Shuttle or Soyuz, etc.
Although it may be inevitible, it makes my stomach turn.

However. The idea of suborbital fighters with lasers and scrams just makes my mouth water from the cool-factor.

Bah!

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Define "militarization," and define the situation space is to be militarized under.

Also, define "support."

Jarvitä

Reaction score
Define "militarisation" - suborbital fighters? A dozen LEO carrier stations with KE projectiles? Nuclear warhead platforms in GSO ready to hit any spot on Earth within minutes? The secret Illuminati/alien/Belgian base on the far side of the Moon?

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
How about ICBMs that already pass through space on the way to their targets, and have done so since the 1950s. How about GPS satellites, which are launched and operated by the military, primarily for the military, the civil use of which is only a side benefit? How about communications links for the military, which are heavily dependant on space? All these things have been real for some time.

Spacedoughnut

Reaction score
Militarization- Placement of conventional or non conventional weaponary in Orbit, no like the weapons on the soyuz capsule.

Lasers on Atlantis= Yes
Laser on ISS to destroy large meteorites= No
Nuclear Missles on the moon aimed at earth= Yes

Any military hardware meant for military action for the porpuse of hostile action with the exception of reconnisance.

Missioncmdr

Reaction score
Well, considering it is against international law, I would have to say no.

BHawthorne

Simpit Builder
Donator
Reaction score
I think it is much like any other situation with regions of land. You expand your reach into it, and you better have a reasonable way to secure it or it'll be attractive to others too. The status quo doesn't balance on good intentions. It'll be the same because of who and what has the power to stretch into space, governments... They have the deep pocketbooks and along with those pocketbooks come thier policy enforcement.

Also stating it's against international law is a bit idealistic. There is a bunch of military hardware in space. Aren't nukes sub-orbital? Recall the anti satellite missile tests awhile back? International policy isn't hampering militarization that much.

Last edited:

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
do the governments of earth realy think that they can control the whole universe?
they cant even control the own countrys for God's sake.

not that they should use a totalitarianism system in the first place.

i hate this dumb-ass planet and all the idiots of the world.

please excuse the language but it neaded to be said, i am sory if it offends someone.

Matt:(

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Space-based military hardware will be the only thing that allows us to defend ourselves when the Hivers attack.

If we end up using it on ourselves first, well that's an unfortunate side effect which has the fortunate outcome of encouraging further development for our own self-defense as a species.

Military expenditure has historically been one of the easiest ways to spend money. The Air Force has a budget of about $150 billion for FY09. NASA gets like $17 billion. Military operations in space will be the absolute fastest way to fuel manned space operations and R&D of spacefaring technologies.

RocketMan_Len

Reaction score
Don't fool yourself - when large-scale utilization of space resources happens, the military will follow.

You've heard of the saying - "Anything worth doing is worth doing right"...? There's also a follow-up... "Anything worth doing is worth defending"

I'm not fond of the concept... but I accept it as necessary.

Moonwalker

Reaction score
The militarization of space is absurd, but also way too expensive, as long as we live, defend and fight on Earth. Even politicians realized that a long time ago already. And a big human expansion into space by far is not foreseeable now, so militarization of space also is not foreseeable now. And if people would support it at some remote future date or not, the military and governments would not care about you/me/us anyway.

I personally would not agree to militarization of space. But I also feel confident that this won't happen anyway. Space always will be a uniqe and expensive place in my point of view.

Status
Not open for further replies.