Gaming Microsoft Flight Megathread

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
I've down loaded Flight and played it for an hour. Graphically it is far better than FSX and runs smoother, but two slow planes and one Island to fly around means I'm probably going to uninstall it by this time next week.

FADEC

Reaction score
Unfortunately I did.

This guy isn't doing himself any favours either. He's trying to convince us that it IS a real simulator, and @35:20 we get this:

That's one hardcore simmer, that is.:thumbup:

I've met quite a few people like that. That's the new target group of Microsoft I think. Nothing wrong with it. But it's just not what turned MS FS into a good simulation over decades.

Well, 15 years ago I was 18. FS98 wasn't even released. I was talking about VORs and ILS etc. with somebody who turned out to be ATC controller. I didn't know he was and he didn't know I was interested in aviation until somehow we started to talk about it. He was impressed when I mentioned very high frequency omnidirectional radio beacons. He was like "wow, where did you get that from"? By that time I already knew about VORs since I was 12 years old. I started with FS3 :)

VORs, ILS, stuff like ATIS etc. even was explained as "basics" in the short manual of FS95. I remember if it was just yesterday. I'm not sure if I spend more time on reading than on actual simming. But I am reading a lot. Meteorology, airframes and systems, and human performance are my favourite topics. But I have the complete ATPL training books from the Oxford Aviation Academy anyway, so I never become bored.

But back to the guy you mentioned: he only can be a casual simmer. He never read any manual. Not even MSFS manuals.

Last edited:

FADEC

Reaction score
A lot of people (guilty here too) have a very limited understanding, and mostly when I flew in FS9, I never filed a flight plan, unless I wanted to go somewhere where I couldn't eyeball it all the way.

So you like visual flight. You might be interested in Aerofly FS. I didn't have a look yet. But from what I have seen it seems to be the best option at the moment (for visual flight). It only covers Switzerland though.

As for filing flight plans: flight plans are actually an essential thing for me. No flight plans and ATC and no simulated world: good bye. But that's a matter of interests.

Just to demonstrate why MS Flight is literally useless for tens of thousands of MSFS customers...

This is my latest route from Frankfurt, Germany, to Boston:

1f6k2317tx9.jpg

For planning I use real high altitude enroute charts from Jeppesen:

6z1hxj2m9fi.jpg

Once the flight plan has been created, I have to create it once again in MSFS to get proper ATC instructions etc. And it has to be entered into the flight management computer (of the 767-300ER which I fly for a few years now).

3a9kl2p04ue.jpg

247h2eof85r.jpg

Nothing works without the operating manual/performance charts (it actually would, but that's lame):

7d4tqvmf91i.jpg

85i32p60hum.jpg

One another thick folder for all the airport charts from Jeppesen:

9m4ht07rwqz.jpg

That's the IFR part.

The VFR part looks equal but just less complicated. ICAO aeronautical charts and the original VFR flight plan form:

0mhdgktqvr4.jpg

My Piper Dakota:

5gqmk4uje5x.jpg

4uek90vrzhm.jpg

So what does MS Flight offer? Nothing.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Sounds like you'd be a great real world pilot. Some real world pilots I've met haven't shown near the level of interest and dedication that you seem too.:thumbup:

FADEC

Reaction score
Sounds like you'd be a great real world pilot. Some real world pilots I've met haven't shown near the level of interest and dedication that you seem too.:thumbup:

Well, thanks so far but I actually consider myself just a fan boy :) A self-educated one though. It's a real passion which would be my job if I hadn't those health issues (allergic asthma and irritable colon). Nothing to worry about. Sports does help, but sitting in a real cockpit of a heavy passenger jet sadly wouldn't be really possible at times. But I might get a PPL at least sometime in the future.

You are right concerning the level of interest and dedication by the way. I also met a few real world pilots and at least one of them called me crazy. It was a 737 pilot back then. His comment was that he never read more than necessary to get his type rating and that stuff like meteorology is the most boring "crap"...

Last edited:

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
FADEC, I like your style. You sound very similar to me and how I fly FSX. Flying a long flight with a heavy, I will have several pages of printed off stuff, from the winds aloft, to take off and landing performance, weather. I love going the whole nine yards, and I love using all the tools to fly with as much precession as I can, even if it is just a flight simulator.

The Level D 767 was my number one means of flight in FSX until recently. Great plane. She shows her age, but it a blast to fly.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Well, thanks so far but I actually consider myself just a fan boy :) A self-educated one though. It's a real passion which would be my job if I hadn't those health issues (allergic asthma and irritable colon). Nothing to worry about. Sports does help, but sitting in a real cockpit of a heavy passenger jet sadly wouldn't be really possible at times. But I might get a PPL at least sometime in the future.

You are right concerning the level of interest and dedication by the way. I also met a few real world pilots and at least one of them called me crazy. It was a 737 pilot back then. His comment was that he never read more than necessary to get his type rating and that stuff like meteorology is the most boring "crap"...

I agree that there seems to be a disturbing lack of interest in the aviation field. By the way, based on what you've said it sounds like you'd be good for a 3rd or even 2nd class pilot's license here in the US. Not sure about German standards though.

FADEC

Reaction score
FADEC, I like your style. You sound very similar to me and how I fly FSX. Flying a long flight with a heavy, I will have several pages of printed off stuff, from the winds aloft, to take off and landing performance, weather. I love going the whole nine yards, and I love using all the tools to fly with as much precession as I can, even if it is just a flight simulator.

Same here. And I don't like time acceleration or watching TV while flying for example. That's just terrible. 8 hours from Germany to Boston are 8 hours. But the time flies while watching the route on the EHSI and FMC. It's not boring at all :) I also love to watch through the windows (just all the stuff you do during a real flight). I created a few great view positions with "active camera".

The Level D 767 was my number one means of flight in FSX until recently. Great plane. She shows her age, but it a blast to fly.

Yes the 767 is aging. But it's programmed perfectly (especially the flight dynamics and the auto pilot's behaviour). I just can't dispense with Flight1/Dreamfleet and Level-D software. It's the best products beside PMDG if you ask me. But once I get my new PC hardware this summer I will change to FSX and the PMDG 737NG finally. It's the most perfect and complex aircraft simulation in the entire flight simulation world I think.

I agree that there seems to be a disturbing lack of interest in the aviation field. By the way, based on what you've said it sounds like you'd be good for a 3rd or even 2nd class pilot's license here in the US. Not sure about German standards though.

I sadly don't have enough money for any licence at the moment. I also don't feel healthy enough at times. There would be too much days of decreased airworthiness. It only would work on a private basis so that I could decide whether to fly today or not.

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
The NGX has become my only means of FSX flight at the moment, with the occasional side track in the RealAir Turbine Duke (so I can fly the RealityXP GPS, which is a fantastic simulation in its own right).

Beautiful aircraft, great simulation of the systems. You will enjoy it, no doubt. Not cheap, and if you spill for the add-on packs (only the 600/700 so far, but the ER and BBJs are on their way), the cost becomes quite high. But, it is worth it.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
"3rd or 2nd class pilot's license"?

I don't think you know what you're talking about :p

The medical certificates are 3rd/2nd/1st, the pilots licenses are sport/private/commercial/ATP :)

I sadly don't have enough money for any licence at the moment. I also don't feel healthy enough at times. There would be too much days of decreased airworthiness. It only would work on a private basis so that I could decide whether to fly today or not.
The US has a sport pilot's license that allows you to fly a limited set of airplanes without a medical certificate--a driver's license is enough. Not sure if Germany has anything comparable.

I've also heard that private flying is a whole lot more expensive in Europe than the US.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
The UK has NPPL, amomg others.
NPPLThe UK National Private Pilot Licence is a restricted form of the PPL introduced in 2002 for recreational pilots. It has a less stringent medical requirement than the JAR-FCL PPL and a reduced flying syllabus.

Not sure about the rest of Europe. but I'd imagine they have a similar scheme for "recreational flying".

You'r right about the cost of flying, Looking through US flying mags, I'd say the cost of tuition is half what it is is in the UK. I gave up flying after a couple of years, just too expensive(and ran out of "passengers"...).

N.

FADEC

Reaction score
The NGX has become my only means of FSX flight at the moment, with the occasional side track in the RealAir Turbine Duke (so I can fly the RealityXP GPS, which is a fantastic simulation in its own right).

Beautiful aircraft, great simulation of the systems. You will enjoy it, no doubt. Not cheap, and if you spill for the add-on packs (only the 600/700 so far, but the ER and BBJs are on their way), the cost becomes quite high. But, it is worth it.

At least it's affordable in comparison of real world flying. Although it's still an expensive hobby. I've spend about 1000 Euro for all the FS9 addons. FSX certainly won't be less expensive. The most important things are airports and sceneries. But for 1000 Euro you wouldn't even get the paper on which the PPL is printed.

The medical certificates are 3rd/2nd/1st, the pilots licenses are sport/private/commercial/ATP :)

Do you also have MPL (Multi Crew Pilot Licence) in the US? We have it in Germany. It's relatively new. The Air Berlin flight school was the first one (worldwide) who trains their new pilots for MPL. You don't get a PPL or CPL during your training. You are trained for the requirements of the airline and for becoming an airline transport pilot from the beginning. All you get is the MPL. The disadvantage is that you are not allowed to fly in your private life because you don't get a PPL or CPL during MPL training. Pretty strange regulations and a questionable licence.

"Hey I'm a 737-800 pilot with Air Berlin, but sorry, I'm not allowed to offer you a scenic flight at the weekend"

The US has a sport pilot's license that allows you to fly a limited set of airplanes without a medical certificate--a driver's license is enough. Not sure if Germany has anything comparable.

I didn't take a look but I don't think so. In Germany you need certificates for almost everything. Even if you want to operate a toilet, well, almost :lol:

I've also heard that private flying is a whole lot more expensive in Europe than the US.

This is true. Many German pilots did their training, or parts of it, in the US to safe some money. If you want to fly a Cessna 172 and want to get instrument rating for example it's almost unpayable for normal people. Also because keeping your licence valid is quite expensive. I guess most PPL owners here are doctors, lawyer, actors/artists, self-employed or otherwise more or less wealthy. There is another way though. You can become a member of a flying club. But then you have several obligations which is something I actually wouldn't like.

Last edited:

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him

Whoops! Got a little turned around there. Thanks.

FADEC

Reaction score
Why I am not surprised?

Not that everything was better in the past. But this is an example of today's gaming industry. Producing casual gaming crap simply does not work for some genres. Especially not for flight simulators.

Most people are not interested in pointless flying games. And most people who are interested in flight simulators are not interested in pointless flying games. It's that easy. But obviously Microsoft didn't get that. They only had $$$ in their minds, which resulted in a soulless and pointless product. One of many these days. Software fast food. You :censored: your customers (and former employees) only once.

Just what I said earlier in this thread:

What Microsoft has done to MSFS, to those who developed it, and to its community, is a hit in the face. And they will get what they deserve.

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Especially not for flight simulators.

Or any simulator. Look at the old Microprose F1 simulator. You can hardly call it a racing game because the actual racing was a small part the time you had to put in to get a decent result.

Keatah

Reaction score
Well I never liked the distribution model and DLC to begin with. And it *required* you to have complex accounts like a gamertag at steam and windows live stuff. Whatever. Some things just don't feel right when forced into the cloud model ..

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Disappointed but not surprised. The pricing model and lack of third party addon support doomed Flight before it was released.

ionif

NASA
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Is a game with future Microsoft Flight Car.For play this game need Windows UltraHD Universal Edition.(Windows 11) :lol:

Last edited: