Metric or US customary? Which measurement system you perfer?

Which measurement system you perfer?

• Total voters

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Bottom line is all of the lazy Americans who complain about metric need to get over it and adapt. Thats why humans are made like we are. To be able to adapt to their environment, adaptation, organization, orderly strucutre and etc. We can apparently do this, but a majority of us are to lazy to know something new. I like metric now because my Biology teacher is making us use it because it is universal.

Ark

Reaction score
Bottom line is all of the lazy Americans who complain about metric need to get over it and adapt. Thats why humans are made like we are. To be able to adapt to their environment, adaptation, organization, orderly strucutre and etc. We can apparently do this, but a majority of us are to lazy to know something new. I like metric now because my Biology teacher is making us use it because it is universal.

I agree. It's not that hard, people just oppose it because "Well that's not the way we've always done it!" We need to grow up and stop masturbating to how awesome and independent we are for not working with the rest of the world.

Last edited by a moderator:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I agree. It's not that hard, people just oppose it because "Well that's not the way we've always done it!" We need to grow up and stop masturbating to how awesome and independent we are for not working with the rest of the world.

Maybe you just need to remember what made you great, instead of celebrating that you are still great and leave it to the next generation, to worry about being not so great?

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Exactly, it isn't hard. My point was that a majority of Americans do not like to dip their feet in something new if it involves work. Some do like it and some don't. I like it so I am promoting the use of it.

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Oy, can't believe I'm joining in here...
I'm a U.S. citizen indoctrinated in the ways of U.S. Customary, but loves Metric more. But as I have to interact with Customary on a daily basis, I need to know Customary more than Metric right now. I will say that I'm starting to try to change over and Orbiter has helped a lot. I'm reasonably good estimating Miles to Kilometers and Kilograms <-> Pounds and Meters to Feet/Yards, but until the rest of the country wakes up and decides to go with Metric, I'll still be more comfortable with Feet, Miles, Inches, Pounds etc. Though if I ever do become President of the U.S. I'll see what I can do about at least starting a national conversion to Metric.

Kveldulf

Reaction score
Metric by far. Its simpler to understand, and work with. I mean... ounces to pounds to tons? I don't even know. Compare this to metric, where its milligrams, to grams, to kilograms, simply by moving the decimal place around.

That being said, I use the US standard every day, so I'm much better at estimating in that. Seriously, ask me the temp outside in Celsius. I'll reach for a Fahrenheit converter :lol:

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Mr. Solo!:lol:
I thought it had to do with hyperspace and wormholes. That way you could travel a "distance" in a shorter distance. ;)

:cheers:
I believe the retconned explanation for this is that Kessel is in the Maw, a large collection of black holes. A faster ship can "cut the corners" closer to the black holes, thereby reducing the distance of the trip.

Or something like that.

Hmuda

Reaction score
I believe the retconned explanation for this is that Kessel is in the Maw, a large collection of black holes. A faster ship can "cut the corners" closer to the black holes, thereby reducing the distance of the trip.

Or something like that.
Yeah, that's what they came up with after they realized how much they messed up. :)

computerex

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Losing space probes and other errors because of metric/imperial differences costs quite a bit of money too.

Ya, but you are making it sound as if we lose probes everyday because of it ;). I remember of only one instance where we lost a major probe because of these conversion errors (Mars probe), but frankly that's just a trivial thing that the team should have caught had they been doing their jobs properly...

But even so, I don't think your argument will fly in front of a panel of politicians, we would be on another economic scale if our decisions in the past took in account the long term advantages instead of being based on instant gratification ;).

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
But even so, I don't think your argument will fly in front of a panel of politicians, we would be on another economic scale if our decisions in the past took in account the long term advantages instead of being based on instant gratification ;).

Well, which other imperial countries can the USA export to? ;) And which other spaceflight agency uses imperial units?

NASA is pretty alone with it.

computerex

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, which other imperial countries can the USA export to? ;) And which other spaceflight agency uses imperial units?

NASA is pretty alone with it.

Yes, we got that much. My question is: What is the point you are trying to make? ;)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Yes, we got that much. My question is: What is the point you are trying to make? ;)

Look here:

You punish yourself with imperial, that is what I am just saying.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score

Wow, let's fist pump and spew foul language to make ourselves feel better about metric! Yay!

Ark

Reaction score
Wow, let's fist pump and spew foul language to make ourselves feel better about metric! Yay!

Lets use sarcasm to defend our outdated, irrational system of measurement! Yay!

This could go on for some time.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I don't defend it. This really doesn't excite me one way or the other. Not like it does some people here.

computerex

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I don't defend it. This really doesn't excite me one way or the other. Not like it does some people here.

There is nothing really to defend...I don't think anyone can argue reasonably that the metric system does not follow a more logical progression between units then the imperial system. It's far easier to learn too in my opinion, because converting from one unit to another involves simply moving the decimal point right or left, whereas conversion between imperial units require you to multiply with cryptic numbers that really make no intuitive sense. After all, the imperial system is severely outdated. I think 1 mile is the distance the roman army marched in 1000 steps...You get the point.

I think that it will be beneficial in the long run if the US decides to follow the world standard...Certainly it makes more sense then having the world switch to the imperial system ;).

Scarecrow

Reaction score
I was born and raised Imperial, but I hate it. There are only 3 things that would give me (personally) significant trouble if I switched to Metric. And I could get around these with a little work:

1. I visualize height and weight of people in imperial.

2. 3C miles per hour (a pretty common highway speed limit) is 1 mile per minute. I like this.

3. I visualize temperatures in Fahrenheit (no, wait, is it thermoize? tactilize? Is there even a word for this?)

Anyway, I would gladly give up these tidbits for the switch to Metric. Even better than that, of course would be my ideal scenario:

We switch from decimal to Hexadecimal (you know, base 10). Then make an SI like system of units based on this, including time. The base unit for time would be the day, since this is the unit that is primarily hard coded into our bodies (our wake-sleep cycle). Base the calendar on the number of days since or before (negative numbers!) some nice reference point, like the day I was born, or something.

This needs to happen sooner rather than later, because it gets harder every time someone does an important calculation in some silly system like base A Metric, or (horrors!) a really retarded one like Imperial units.