Metric or US customary? Which measurement system you perfer?

Which measurement system you perfer?

• Total voters

Wraith

Reaction score
Metric vs. Imperial. Great topic to argue about. I must say, this thread was quite amusing to read.

Now, to pour some oil into the flame, here's my favourite.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Interesting, though I never heard the 2240lb Ton called a "Long Ton", while it was in common use in the UK. Didn't hear of the "Short Ton" till I went to college. I think it was often not capitalised as well.

N.

Brycesv1

Crash Test Expert
Reaction score
i grew up imperial and i still dont understand it. even after having old teachers try to cram it into our brains i could never convert it properly. after 15 years i tried to use the metric system and its so simple and intuitive that after a few months i can convert just about anything in my head within a few seconds. its easier, its more precise, its better.

also, what does the imperial system use for things smaller than an inch? instead of busting out my scientific calculator to find the thousandths of an inch or the corresponding fraction id rather measure in simple nanometers or millimeters

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Metric vs. Imperial. Great topic to argue about. I must say, this thread was quite amusing to read.

Now, to pour some oil into the flame, here's my favourite.

:rofl:
And when they die out, this should help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mile :lol:

---------- Post added at 11:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 PM ----------

If someone could make a sensible metric system of time, I'd use it.

You can't have a sensible metric time system without changing the whole metric system.
The most important unit is probably "day" because our internal clocks are sync'ed to earth's rotation. This means that you need a new "second" that's some sub-multiple of 10. Then you need to change the "gram" or the "meter" (or both) to make everything fit again.