OHM M-II + Negi-5 launch vehicles v0.2.1

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score

Author: pipcard

The M-II is a medium-heavy-lift launch vehicle of the country of Hatsunia, operated by the Hatsunespace launch services company. It comes in four variants, which are capable of carrying payloads ranging from 11 to 33 metric tons (tonnes) into Low Earth Orbit (LEO), and 4 to 13 tonnes into Geostationary Transfer Orbit (GTO). The Negi-5 is a launch vehicle designed for light payloads (about 2 metric tons or less into LEO).

There is a "generic" version of the launcher without markings. Scenarios containing this version are available in “M-II + Negi-5\If you don’t have Negishima”

v0.2.1 fixes the missing Dual Payload Append System (for 2-satellite launch) files.

Installation

· This add-on requires the Velcro Rockets plug-in, which can be downloaded at http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3388. Extract it to your Orbiter folder (where Orbiter.exe is located). (Future versions might use custom .dll programming, but I don't know how to, so I'm asking anyone with programming skills if they can code a rocket with an autopilot and payload management interface.)

· (optional, but highly recommended) Download and install Negishima Space Center:

http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.p hp?ID=6424

· (also optional, but highly recommended) Download and install Launch MFD

(http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2802) and its additional requirements.

· Extract this .zip file to your Orbiter folder. Scenarios are available in “M-II + Negi-5”. User manuals are available in Doc\M-II + Negi-5.

Disclaimer

Hatsunia is my fictional country based on Japan and the synthesizer software/fictional singer, Hatsune Miku. The Hatsunese space program is inspired by Japanese space agencies. The M-II is mainly inspired by the H-IIA and H-IIB rockets, and the Negi-5 is inspired by the Mu-V and Epsilon rockets.

Thanks to Martin Schweiger for creating Orbiter, sputnik for creating Velcro Rockets, Hielor for creating the Wings3D .msh exporter, and the Orbiter community for helping me in creating this.

DOWNLOAD

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Probably somebody trying to razz you man, don't sweat it.
Remember, you are chosing to share an add-on that you made for your own enjoyment.

The rating doesn't mean much without good feedback, so you are free to disregard it. (Actually you're free to disregard it even with good feedback)

Last edited:

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Also it's one vote - it isn't representing anything.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
But one bad apple spoils the whole bunch...

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

jessypuss

Reaction score
It is not a bad addon, however, it adds nothing new and is based in your own imagination. We have all seen so many similar addons over the years and it is obviously something you have spent time and effort on. Don't be surprised though when other people don't share your fantasy world. Yet another multi-stage launcher based in Japan carrying a probe is of no interest to most. Don't be put off but perhaps something different is called for. If there were categories for effort and content, you would get 5 for effort but only 1 for content from me. Easy for me to criticize I know as I've never contributed an addon but you did ask for opinions. good luck with your next project.

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Marketing tip: You have to know your "customer".

Most people on this forum aren't into Hatsune Miku as much as you. If you are not a fan, then this Hatsune Miku theme comes across as a little weird. Why would voice synthesizer software need a space agency?

I wonder how well your add-on would do if you made a "plain" version without the Hatsune Miku theme? I don't mean to crush your passion, but it might appeal to a wider audience.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I wonder how well your add-on would do if you made a "plain" version without the Hatsune Miku theme? I don't mean to crush your passion, but it might appeal to a wider audience.

I think that is simply part of the fun. Call it Pipcards brand. You must not like it. But it is unique.

Also, the wider audience ... is stupid and intolerant. I usually have most fun for myself by simply don't giving a damn what the "wider audience" wants.

So, should he really give up his unique brand and be a dull mass product? Let him do what his brain and heart can agree on. I recommend the same for everybody else.

But he should really take any chance to add new facets and dimensions to his add-ons, when his skills grow. Later.

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Also, the wider audience ... is stupid and intolerant. I usually have most fun for myself by simply don't giving a damn what the "wider audience" wants.

But then don't go on the forum and ask why your add-on is unpopular.

The question was asked. I gave my input.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
But then don't go on the forum and ask why your add-on is unpopular.

The question was asked. I gave my input.

His question was not about being unpopular. But why somebody gave a really destructive 1 star review. Which happens pretty often in the internet, and he was simply discouraged by it.

If you have too much orientation to the outside, to the customers, like you suggest, you have no strength within to counter such destructive reviews. And you need both. You need orientation towards your inside, your own strengths and visions, and orientation to the outside, what the audience expects. Not just one. And in the starting phase, you need more of the inside than of the outside, because you can never pass the test of the expectations of a satisfied audience when you start your adventure. Especially in the internet, where giving a one star review is easy and pretty anonymous.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Why would voice synthesizer software need a space agency?

Because this isn't the only time Miku has been associated with rocketry (remember, almost everything Miku-related is made by her fans) and space exploration.

There was a petition to put images of Miku on the Venus probe Akatsuki. It actually passed the 10000 signature requirement.

Last edited:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Alrighty then. I just took the Mk-II (heavy) and the Negi-5 out for a spin.

I thought the 3rd stage of the Negi-5 could use some more texturing (used materials instead of textures, but I did the same thing so who am I to complain).

The Mk-II (M-II) Heavy. Very nice. If I hadn't already had my own med/heavy lift rocket for my VSA I would give this some serious thought. 30+ tons to LEO give this capability to put station parts in orbit when combined with an orbital tug (I use Yuri's Tranzit).

Nice work on the documentation (maybe combine both rockets into a single document?), and if the cover were printed on glossy paper it'd look as good as anything I've seen from Lockheed/ATK, SpaceX or Orbital.

Keep it up, you're doing a fine job.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
It's a NAVY/SeaBee thing. We called the M-60 machine gun a Mark-60 (Mk-60), same with M-19 etc, etc.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I wonder how well your add-on would do if you made a "plain" version without the Hatsune Miku theme?

Updated to v0.2 with "generic" versions of the launchers (i.e. no markings) in Scenarios folder "M-II + Negi-5\If you don't have Negishima", if you think that a Miku-themed space program is too weird, or if you want to use them in your fictional space agency.

if the cover were printed on glossy paper it'd look as good as anything I've seen from Lockheed/ATK, SpaceX or Orbital.

The covers are based on these (.pdf) brochures for the H-IIA and Epsilon rockets.

Last edited:

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Orbital Access Consortium (OAC), the aerospace company that I runs, has just decided to make a large order of the M-II & Negi-5 rockets - this will replace some of the rockets that we buy the launch services from (in this case the Atlas V, Delta IV, Vega, Rockot etc.) and will fly along with the Neptune, Triton and Themis-A series in the same payload category. :cheers: :thumbup: Our company is apparently even considering adding the good old Negi-1 to the fleet for launching cubesats..... :hmm: