OHM M-II + Negi-5 launch vehicles v0.2.1

jessypuss

Reaction score
Galactic Penguin, it's a simulation, you do not run a space company, you are not really launching satellites, at least I hope not. Some things need to taken seriously, some do not.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Galactic Penguin, it's a simulation, you do not run a space company, you are not really launching satellites, at least I hope not. Some things need to taken seriously, some do not.

GalacticPenguin runs Virtual Space Company :p

orbitingpluto

Orbiteer
Reaction score
Superb documentation, Pipcard! I like having something to read and get a better idea of what I just downloaded; writing something up isn't what most addon devs take the time to do, and they usually don't bother to collect information like masses, thrusts and the like in the documentation. You've also designed the rockets to in the range of modern day ones, so they could reasonably be used alongside things like Atlas 5s, Ariane 5s, and Protons and not be too far out of place. The fact they are fictional creations of an equally fictional island nation doesn't bother me that much either, after all, I haven't stopped messing around with Space Shuttles or Energias simply because they aren't used in the real world anymore. Call it selective suspension of disbelief, similar to what I do for the popular Jarvis family by FOI.:)

Yet another multi-stage launcher based in Japan carrying a probe is of no interest to most. Don't be put off but perhaps something different is called for.

To be pedantic, this particular addon uses Velcro Rockets, not multistage. I wonder if you'll mind fleshing out your criticisms, because aside from implying that there is a horde of addon rockets based in Japan, and stating an assumption that if it uses multistage by Vinka, then it will be unwanted by most, I haven't heard anything constructive. Perhaps you could share your ideas on what the something different is, and give addons devs everywhere your knowledge on what really is called for. I don't see how addon devs can improve their content if they have no idea what they are doing wrong in your eyes. Hence this polite request.

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Hmm the DPAS scenarios are not working.....it seems that the DPAS' configuration and mesh files are missing. :rolleyes:

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Working on a fix right now.

---------- Post added at 06:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:40 PM ----------

And v0.2.1 is up!

orbitingpluto

Orbiteer
Reaction score
I think jessypuss meant multistage rockets in general, not Vinka's multistage.

Could be, and we'll know more when he replies, but til then I'm content to turn my attention to other things, and leave discussion of what he thinks to that time.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I've taken a look and I must say I really like your meshes. They have nice and good looking details like pipes, helium tanks, etc.

Textures are bit too clean for my taste and this is the place you can improve (look for something called texture baking and occlusion mapping - you can take light/shadow information from your 3d editor and use it as layer in the textures - that really improves looks).

Overall very good job.

jessypuss

Reaction score
I think that I may not have expressed myself clearly. Yes, what I meant was exactly that, multi staged in general terms. The original point of this thread was to consider why someone gave this addon a 1. The point I was trying to make is that the launcher itself is absolutely fine in itself and it works well and has variations to try. (Yes I downloaded it and flew it) However, for myself, and I expect, many other people, a launcher themed around a voice simulation software company is pretty strange. When I said that some things were serious and some were not, Orbiter is not a matter of life and death, it's supposed to be fun. Use it for whatever you like. But, you shouldn't be too surprised when someone who has probably never heard of your own particular interest, criticizes it. Keep on doing what you do and don't be put off by negative comments.

Buck Rogers

Major Spacecadet
Reaction score
Nice rockets. Do their job well. :) Good technical detail. Maybe a slight optical makeover for a future release.
Keep up the good work, and spirits!

P.S. I'm sure one day you'll be as intergalacticly successful as the Penguin!

Keep on doing what you do and don't be put off by negative comments.
:yes:

Interceptor

Reaction score
I have been using your rockets,and you really did a great job,any chance you could do a heavy version in the future?

ISProgram

SketchUp Orbinaut
Reaction score
You mean like this, right?
picture.php

ZacharyS41

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.zachsellinger.com
Pipcard, is it possible to provide us with the launch capability from Cape Canaveral? I can tell it's different because of the launch pad's distance from the equator.

By the way, I enjoyed your addons ranging from the M-II to the brand-new Mirai Space Station so much that I will rate each one five out of five.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The launch capacities from Cape Canaveral are described in the scenario descriptions within "M-II/If you don't have Negishima"

ZacharyS41

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.zachsellinger.com
I meant for geosynchronous transfer orbits. All it lists is low earth orbits.

---------- Post added at 06:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 PM ----------

What's also cool it that I chose specific launch pads for the M-II variants and the Negi V when launching from Cape Canaveral.

Basically, for the Negi V, I chose Launch Complex 14, which was where Project Mercury launched John Glenn, Scott Carpenter, Wally Schirra, and Gordon Cooper into Earth orbit. However, Space Launch Complex 46 was my original choice until I remembered that Orbital ATK and Lockheed Martin would use it for the Minotaur and Athena rockets.

Next, for the M-II rockets, I figured that by the time the M-II rockets became operational, the Delta IV rocket family would be retired in favor of the Vulcans, so I chose Space Launch Complex 37B as the launch pad for M-II (that goes for the reusable M-III as well).

I hope that made sense, pipcard, and be sure to remember that I understand that the M-II and Negi V are fictional rockets, but I'm acting like they are real.

Last edited: