Problem Loss of control of DG Mk IV at high time warp

dehat42

Reaction score
I think this is what was throwing a couple of people off. After looking at both statements, your issue (which I'm glad you resolved by disabling Prograde before accelerating time :tiphat: ) seemed to be that once you were tumbling while under time acceleration, you couldn't stop tumbling while under time acceleration, and the thrusters didn't appear to respond. Am I reading that right?

Once you dropped to 1x time, you could null out the rotation, correct?

Even if I dropped back to normal time, the rotation would continue, and choosing any type of autopilot or KillRot would do nothing. But so far it is working fine now that I turned off the Prograde autopilot before accelerating time...that was the only one turned on in my previous attempts.

Castor

Reaction score
Even if I dropped back to normal time, the rotation would continue, and choosing any type of autopilot or KillRot would do nothing.

It is most likely that you depleted the RCS fuel tanks of the DG.

asbjos

tuanibrO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
... Absolute kill-rot also works at high time-warps, but that tool is practically cheating, since it stops any rotation without caring about conservation of impulse (e.g. expending fuel, spinning another mass up or changing the rotation axes of multiple gyroscopes) ...

The Absolute KillRot plugin only kicks in when the angular velocity is below a certain value (0.001 degrees per second, or something like that), i.e. in the finishing phase of the default KillRot program.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The Absolute KillRot plugin only kicks in when the angular velocity is below a certain value (0.001 degrees per second, or something like that), i.e. in the finishing phase of the default KillRot program.

Still the same effect.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Even if I dropped back to normal time, the rotation would continue, and choosing any type of autopilot or KillRot would do nothing. But so far it is working fine now that I turned off the Prograde autopilot before accelerating time...that was the only one turned on in my previous attempts.

Perhaps it was me who was more confused then. :shifty:

Thanks for clarifying for my own understanding. Glad it's working now. :cheers:

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
Another thing I have experienced is that after getting a hefty accidental time accelerated spin going, the tumbling is so fast that the RCS will be too weak to stop the spin. When this happened, I could see them firing, but it SEEMS like i'm not doing anything because it would take more fuel than is available to stabilize it and take several ks of rotation canceling to make any difference.

dehat42

Reaction score
Just had another experience of wild spinning...but I think it was my fault, or maybe a quirk of the program.

I tried to follow the title of a Pink Floyd song from their album "A Saucerful Of Sercrets". Namely, I escaped Earth orbit, got captured by the Sun, and tried to land on it. (Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun). Unlimited fuel is the only way to do this one. I got my orbit down in stages, and when I went to land, there went the wild spinning. But then there were a couple other things not right...

TAS was set at 342.3G, and the distance was being calculated in AU's...

I will upload a screen shot of this...

---------- Post added at 05:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:53 PM ----------

Here it is...

STCFTHOTS.jpg

Castor

Reaction score
Long answer: This is just the sun glitch which prevents you from landing on the sun. On touching the surface (or coming very close to it), your spacecraft is propelled to Nan space which explains the large numbers and wild spinning.

Short answer: Don't try to land on the sun.

Napalm42

Drell Admiral, Citadel Fleet
Donator
Reaction score
Yeah, in Orbiter Sol is not a true object. I haven't delved into the guts of Orbiter to see what it is actually (check my facts if I'm wrong), but from my close flybys it seems to be a 2D object that just faces the camera, and if you try to touch down on it you will go off into the non-existant glory of NaN space.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
Yeah, in Orbiter Sol is not a true object. I haven't delved into the guts of Orbiter to see what it is actually (check my facts if I'm wrong), but from my close flybys it seems to be a 2D object that just faces the camera, and if you try to touch down on it you will go off into the non-existant glory of NaN space.

AKA sprite

Castor

Reaction score
More specifically, a billboard. (sprite in a 3D world)

You are right. This thread explains it in detail :

http://orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=9644

EDIT: @dehat42 I just wanted to add this : If you have set a high value of time warp when you hit the sun, then you will find yourself on Mercury. A simple search of the forums will give you much more info.

Last edited:

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
Actually that's 263 AU per second, so ~130000 times the speed of light.

That puts you in warp 50.8 in TOS or warp 34.3 in TNG

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
... or warp 34.3 in TNG

There is no warp speed past 10 in TNG, between 9 and 10, the scale goes to infinity by a unknown formula (but you can extrapolate one yourself) ... and in Voyager, the writers lost control over their warp scales completely.

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
Yes you are right. IIRC at warp 10 the "ship occupies all possible positions in space-time"

I made the conversion of the velocity, using these equations

[math] V = W_{f}^3 \cdot c [/math] TOS
[math] V = W_{f}^{\frac{10}{3}} \cdot c [/math] TNG

V=velocity, Wf= warp factor, c = speed of light.

I have no idea why I remember those equations, might as well have pulled them out of my... hat. :lol:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
You are right there, because between warp 0 and warp 9, the 10/3 exponent is correct. But this changes above warp nine.