London Mayoral Election

simonpro

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Just discovered that it's election day in London today. British politics fascinates me, and the BBC is running an online special.:speakcool:

Anyway, who are the Brits on here supporting in the election?
Ken, who seems to have some fairly solid ideas - but is a bit of an unpopular one with some of his policies (congestion charging?)
Boris, who enjoys a lot of support, but his buffoon act could cost him votes.
(yes there are some others too, but i have no idea who they are, and they're not likely to win anyway ;))

I'd have voted for Boris, I think he's one of the most intelligent people I know. Certainally one of the most intelligent in politics, and his shambling around seems to get him a fair bit of support from the young people. Britain could sorely do with a few intelligent people in charge, IMO. Boris is probably much better suited to this role than a cabinet member in a conservative government. Somehow I just can't see foreign leaders respecting him that much...

Belisarius

Obsessed with reality. Why?
Addon Developer
Reaction score
British politics is a pile of **** in search of a sewer to flow in.

Lupin_Yonder

Reaction score
Wow, i'm sensing some hate here Belisarius! I voted Liberal Democrats 1st choice, Borris and conservatives second.

Belisarius

Addon Developer
Reaction score
I don't hate them, I just think they're deluded. Boris the wannabe fogey versus Newt-man (ex-Red) Ken, for Pete's sake?

The sewer remark refers to the extraordinary lack of strategic direction in British politics. All politics involves wading through excrement, it's just that in most countries there's a kind of clear choice as to which sewer the stuff should be streaming down. Is Britain in Europe or is it in the US? Is it going to straddle the fence forever? When they had an empire they had a reason for existing, namely, to defend that empire. Now their purpose is to... er, I don't know. Does anyone?

I was born and brought up in the UK and as soon as I could get out of my own volition, I skedaddelled. Not without soaking up as much free education and dole as I could first, though. My brothers were not far behind me, as well as the smartest of my friends. The life of a UK expat is far superior to that of a UK resident.

You have to recognise decadence when you see it. That said, the TV comedy is still a strong point.

bujin

Reaction score
I didn't bother to vote in my local elections, cos there's little point in going along to vote for "none of the above".

I can't be bothered with politics. They're all as bad as each other anyway.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
I'll be voting for Red Ken, anyone who got up Maggie Thatcher's nose that much is a winner. As a self confessed newt fancier, he's obviously got credentials for Mayor of London, or was that a cat?

N.

simonpro

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Bah, I only discovered at about 4am that the damn mayoral election counting doesn't start 'til 0930. In other words, I stayed up most of the night to see something that didn't happen. Oops. :p

Seems to be a fair bit of anger floating around in this thread, though. That's why I love British politics - people get so excited and wound up about it :)

And Belisarius, sometimes the best thing you can do in politics is sit on the fence. Becoming a more central part of Europe would deprive the UK of American support and the same goes the other way around. So why not try and sit in the mdidle and get as many benefits from both sides as you can?

Belisarius

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Belisarius, sometimes the best thing you can do in politics is sit on the fence. Becoming a more central part of Europe would deprive the UK of American support and the same goes the other way around. So why not try and sit in the mdidle and get as many benefits from both sides as you can?

Because those whom you are taking advantage of may get very tired of you in the long run.