License Wars MEGA THREAD (now with GPL!)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
It still hasn't changed that the only time this starts happening is when you possibly start distributing Orbiter with a GPL addon (or any other similar license) without being the sole copyright owner. That is such an edge case. Is there one example of an addon being bundled with Orbiter?

Even then not - it also requires you to distribute it under a new non-GPL license. If you for example have a Orbiter distribution with GPL add-ons, that you publish, its still all fine: As long as the licenses are not removed.

Lisias

Space Traveller Wanna-be
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
You do understand that relicensing a work does not undo the previous license, right?

And do not prevent news releases under different licensings.

If this "Add On Developer" makes a release under your Standard OHM Minimal License, someone takes his work and reuses it commercially or whatever, and he objects, he can relicense his future changes, but that doesn't undo the previous release. You can't put the genie back in the bottle. You're stuck with it forever.

EXACT.

If the guys releases a mesh of him under the GPL without being aware (as it was believing it is only the code being GPLed, or someone smarter than him finds a way to legally conclude that the licensing uncertainty on that artifact allows him to use the mesh under the GPL), that released artifacts are forever GPL and the guy is toasted.

On the other hand, by releasing the work first as that Standard OHM Minimal License, he can rest assured that no matter what, all his content will be used only by Orbiter Users, on Orbiter Program itself - absolutely no other right will be granted to anyone until he changes his mind.

The guy can, without any sound of doubt, change his mind and relicense just the code as the GPL by making a parallel release of the source code and binary without the non GPL artifacts (just to be on the safe side).

The guy can, also and without any sound of doubt, change his mind again and release everything again under the GPL on yet another release.

The other way is not true, however. The guy cannot release under the GPL, realize it was a mistake and try to take it back - you are perfectly and totally right on this.

Since my choice of offering first the Standard OHM Minimum License, while stating:

"Hey, there's also that fine License called GPL made and advocated by that fine and kind people that does Free Software. In his <link>, you can find a lot of vantagens and perhaps some disadvantages on using the GPL, feel free to ask for help on our Forums about this. There's also that MIT<link> and BSD<link> thing by the way, perhaps you would like to know about them too.

Rest assured that while you are thinking about licensing issues, we guarantee that your work can only be distributed as a whole and to be used by Orbiter's Users, and nobody else will be able to do anything else without asking you first (at least, legally - we cannot enforce laws, we can just report the offenders so Law Enforcement can prosecute the offender. We can help you on the Forums if you ever find the need).

You can change your licensing terms later if you want. Just be aware that you cannot change the licensing of a release you already made - you will need to make a new release with the new licensing terms. Also be aware that once a release is on the wild, you cannot retroactively change the licensing terms - once the Release goes public, that release is forever under that terms and cannot be withdrawn from the people's hard drives - all you can do is request that we, OHM, stops to distribute that release, but once the package is downloaded, nothing can be done about that copy.

Last edited:

meson800

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
If the guys releases a mesh of him under the GPL without being aware (as it was believing it is only the code being GPLed, or someone smarter than him finds a way to legally conclude that the licensing uncertainty on that artifact allows him to use the mesh under the GPL), that released artifacts are forever GPL and the guy is toasted.

Good point about how you can't change releases retroactively.

I still don't know why you would pick a license without understanding it.

On the other hand, by releasing the work first as that Standard OHM Minimal License, he can rest assured that no matter what, all his content will be used only by Orbiter Users, on Orbiter Program itself - absolutely no other right will be granted to anyone until he changes his mind.
That's what would be fine with a "none" option. It's automatically All Rights Reserved + implicit Orbiter. A minimal license wouldn't even be needed (but it could be nice to have an explicit default choice, with the none option still available)

Lisias

Space Traveller Wanna-be
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Edit: And what about collaboration projects? Relicensing requires explicit consent of all copyright holders. If two people contribute to an add-on and relicensing becomes necessary but one of them has moved on to another project and can't be found, then you are screwed and you can't relicense.

And exactly why you think that my dual license idea is a problem to such guys?

Such a project will have a leader, that will for sure be a somewhat experienced developer. Being the project leader, it's up to him to choose the license, to educate his collaborateurs and guarantee the he has the copyright rights he needs.

Such a guy WILL NOT be affected by such Standard OHM Minimum License. He can goes directly to dual licensing the thing to GPL also. Or just uncheck the "Use Standard OHM Minimum License also" checkbox (by example) and single license the whole thing to GPL. Why I would want him to do not?

I don't see a single reason that could make any kind if hurt by dual licensing everything under such hypothetical Standard OHM Minimum License and GPL and BSD and <God Knows What>. Dual licensing is possible and largely used "out there".

But granted, I have no reasons to believe that the only solution is dual licensing - to tell you the true, I just don't care.

I care about such Standard OHM Minimum License being clearly offered first to people that don't want to be bothered with licensing terms and/or do not want to grant more than such minimum rights to Orbiter Users.

All the rest can do whatever they want - it's their right, and I second them on such rights, as much as I second the other guys on sticking on Minimum Licensing Terms (in purpose, by being lazy or by not being able to do a educated choice yet).

---------- Post added at 05:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:07 PM ----------

That's what would be fine with a "none" option. It's automatically All Rights Reserved + implicit Orbiter. A minimal license wouldn't even be needed (but it could be nice to have an explicit default choice, with the none option still available)

It' my understanding that implicit granting of rights is messy and shady.

But if by any means I'm proven wrong on this, then I second you on that.

To tell you the true, if implicit granting of rights is perfectly possible and legallly defensible, we just don't have an issue at all in the present moment, and everything can just be as always had been.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
To tell you the true, if implicit granting of rights is perfectly possible and legallly defensible, we just don't have an issue at all in the present moment, and everything can just be as always had been.

it is. Terms of use. If you upload something on OH as your conscious choice as add-on developer, it has to be expected that you had been aware that somebody downloads it there as well.

If you sue somebody for downloading your add-on despite you uploading it there for that purpose... you can be lucky if a judge just laughs and rejects the case.

Lisias

Space Traveller Wanna-be
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com

You and me (and many others at this thread) are Professional Software Developers, or at least very well experienced and educated Amateur Software Developers.

None of us was ever, never, affectable by my concernings. (ugh... I tryed, and tryed, but could not rephrase this on something more aesthetic in English...)

But there a lot of people here that are cutting their teeth on software while doing other things (as meshes, scenarios, sound effects, etc). They are not, neither want to be software developers (they even want to know about software licenses). They care about their creative work rights.

They want to grant us the right to use their artistic work, but want to retain all the other rights. They do not want GPL on their artistic work - but gladly would do it about the CPP source code (as it commonly was took from Delta Glider at first place, and they are willing to give back to the community what was given to them for free at first place).

These guys are the ones I find in need of such Standard OHM Minimum License thing - at least, at the first moment.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
These guys are the ones I find in need of such Standard OHM Minimum License thing - at least, at the first moment.

These are in need of nothing. If you are not doing anything, you are not granting anybody a right to do something with your product.

Lisias

Space Traveller Wanna-be
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
it is. Terms of use. If you upload something on OH as your conscious choice as add-on developer, it has to be expected that you had been aware that somebody downloads it there as well.

Once I download the thing, there're by any means any way to track back the file to the TOS that the uploader accepted in order to upload the file?

If the file was withdrawn from OHM, the file I have downloaded are still legally usable by me? How I can prove that I legally downloaded such file?

There's any guarantee to the uploader that such TOS was not changed since he uploaded the file?

If you sue somebody for downloading your add-on despite you uploading it there for that purpose... you can be lucky if a judge just laughs and rejects the case.

So, being a copyright infringer is not a problem, as long no judge would waste his time on the matter?

Hypothetical issues? For sure. But everything is hypothetical until it finally happens.

All we can do is carefully (or not) choose what of that hypothetical issues are comfortable to live with or not.

---------- Post added at 05:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:26 PM ----------

If you are not doing anything, you are not granting anybody a right to do something with your product.

Exact. Being my reasoning to explicitly offer them such Standard OHM Minimum License.

There would be not a single trace of a doubt about what everybody is intending to do. :)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Once I download the thing, there're by any means any way to track back the file to the TOS that the uploader accepted in order to upload the file?

If the file was withdrawn from OHM, the file I have downloaded are still legally usable by me? How I can prove that I legally downloaded such file?

There's any guarantee to the uploader that such TOS was not changed since he uploaded the file?

Thats FUD from you again, so please cease and desist from it.

Nobody does anything to you for the software that you own. Contrary to what Microsoft used to pretend, its not possible to sue you simply for owning illegal software. Usually Microsoft sues companies for finding out who is selling illegal copies, but thats another law.

If you upload a file on a webserver, regardless if it is still on OH or not, you are in danger of violating copyright, if you have not been granted the distribution right.

So, being a copyright infringer is not a problem, as long no judge would waste his time on the matter?

READ THE POST! UNDERSTAND IT! THINK!

And only then reply.

I consider your postings like many others, only aiming at damaging the community by spreading unfounded doubts on the rights that the users REALLY have. Contrary to what you claim here.

---------- Post added at 07:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 PM ----------

Exact. Being my reasoning to explicitly offer them such Standard OHM Minimum License.

For what? They already have the right to download and use it for Orbiter. No further license needed. :facepalm:

And it is not implicit. It is explicit.

The add-on developer explicitly agreed to the TOS of O-H.
The downloader explicitly agreed to the TOS of O-H.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score

I will chime in here for a moment, as I'm a bit of an expert on that particular subject :p

Basically, because you just can't wrap your head around the legalese, and when you try to find understandable interpretations, you find threds like this... I.E. things are not neccessarily getting much clearer.
Most of my code is therefore distribuited under my own personal "I don't give a damn what you do with this code because I had fun writing it" license, which is about the only one I can understand. But every now and then you realise that using code from project X will come in real handy in what you're currently doing, so you make your license compatible so's you can use that code without making anyone angry. It doesn't really make you understand the license any better, but it gives you peace of mind when you're packing third-party code in there.

Lisias

Space Traveller Wanna-be
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
That would be that fine hour in which one could kindly posts some legal background (as articles, law quotes, anything) that would support such allegations.

Everybody can be wrong. But wouldn't be more productive and educative to demonstrate the wrong ways instead of just calling "This is FUD", "You are wrong", et all?

For example, what do you think of the Copyright Act? And all that WIPO thing?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

I think its a terrible mess, that deserves a major overhaul from bottom up, since it is reinforcing some pretty unnatural restrictions just to make lots of money from minimum effort.

But as the standard that exists, its not that bad at all. You just have to remember that it all starts with "All rights reserved". And from those rights you have reserved to yourself, you grant some away in exchange of something. Money, fame, fun. What ever.

That is what it is all about. Regardless if you are talking about default copyright, PD or GPL. It is what which rights you grant to others from the rights that you usually have reserved to you.

The real big problems are in the details and the implementations, which are often not that trivial. As above: GPL and non-GPL code is one such problem, that requires careful reading of the licences.

meson800

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Most of my code is therefore distribuited under my own personal "I don't give a damn what you do with this code because I had fun writing it" license, which is about the only one I can understand.

There's also one of my favorites, the "Do what the :censored: you want license" :lol:

DO WHAT THE :censored: YOU WANT TO PUBLIC LICENSE
Version 2, December 2004

Copyright (C) (year) (name)

Everyone is permitted to copy and distribute verbatim or modified
copies of this license document, and changing it is allowed as long
as the name is changed.

DO WHAT THE :censored: YOU WANT TO PUBLIC LICENSE
TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR COPYING, DISTRIBUTION AND MODIFICATION

0. You just DO WHAT THE :censored: YOU WANT TO.

---------- Post added at 02:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 PM ----------

That would be that fine hour in which one could kindly posts some legal background (as articles, law quotes, anything) that would support such allegations.

Everybody can be wrong. But wouldn't be more productive and educative to demonstrate the wrong ways instead of just calling "This is FUD", "You are wrong", et all?

The discussion has merits, but the whole thing is nitpicky. For the vast majority of addons, the arguments brought up don't apply.

For point one, it's obvious that the uploader accepted the TOS; there's no other way to upload.

For point two, it doesn't matter. Copyright doesn't touch private use. There are no circumstances, as long as you aren't reproducing it, that you would ever have to prove that you legally downloaded it. Here is a paper by a University of Michigan law professor asserting that personal use is lawful.

For point three, unless OH changes dramatically, OH is a repository for Orbiter addons. Any change in the TOS, assuming that a dramatic change doesn't occur, still doesn't change the fact that you are uploading an addon to be used with Orbiter.

dseagrav

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Being the project leader, it's up to him to choose the license

This is NOT how a license change works.

To make a license change, you must contact EVERY contributor and obtain an explicit sign-off to make ANY alternations to licensing. The ONLY exception to this is if you had the contributors accept an agreement assigning copyright to you. If you cannot contact a contributor, then you cannot change the license. If you change the license anyway, you must remove ALL of that party's contributions, and ALL subsequent contributions based on that person's contributions. For example, if we had to add even a single letter to NASSP's license right now, I would lose almost ALL of the panel artwork - That belongs to Moonwalker and he hasn't been heard from in years and I have no way to contact him. We'd also lose almost all of the low-level systems simulation code because that was contributed by tschachim and he hasn't been heard from in years. It would effectively end the project.

No legal decision can be made lightly, especially not software licensing. Pressuring people to sign your whatever license without thinking about it is just as dangerous as telling people to accept a loan without reading the small print. You simply cannot have a "default" license that is anything other than "All Rights Reserved" without creating additional risk or complication. It is the responsibility of anyone releasing an addon to educate themselves on their risks and options beforehand and make an educated decision, just as is any other legal decision.

Lisias

Space Traveller Wanna-be
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I think its a terrible mess, that deserves a major overhaul from bottom up, since it is reinforcing some pretty unnatural restrictions just to make lots of money from minimum effort.

I second you on that. But unfortunately, Dura lex, sed lex. Such a thing is now a Law and is being enforced.

But as the standard that exists, its not that bad at all. You just have to remember that it all starts with "All rights reserved". And from those rights you have reserved to yourself, you grant some away in exchange of something. Money, fame, fun. What ever.

I think that perhaps that law has gone too far on that "enforcements" part. This scares me a bit. In some countries, you can be a felon by merely possessing such material, even by believing in good faith it was legal to download it.

Such things is abusive to my eyes, but again, Dura lex, sed lex. We must learn to survive it somehow until someone better (and stronger) than us manages to set things right.

That is what it is all about. Regardless if you are talking about default copyright, PD or GPL. It is what which rights you grant to others from the rights that you usually have reserved to you.

Unfortunately, besides being older that the present Copyright Act (or precisely by it), at least the GPL was somewhat (but not definitively) beaten on Texas Court in 2014. The claimant allegation was totally :censored:, it was clearly a scam to try to get unethical advantages using GPL as a weapon.

But whats scared me a bit was the ground in which the Judge decided the matter. From here, i found:

The court held that the GPL's copyleft provision imposed an obligation over and above what the Copyright Act requires—an affirmative obligation to provide source, rather than simply an obligation not to copy the software without permission. Because the Copyright Act does not specifically protect the right of a software licensee to receive source code, the court ruled, it does not preempt a claim in state court to enforce that right.

So, at least for *ONE* state court, some GPL clauses are not enforceable by the Justice. Please note that this is not a Federal Court, and that such a decision will not driven further decisions in the future - but take is as what it means, that there's no single license in this World that could overrule automatically some Law.

On the other hand, and to protect itself and his licensees, the GPL also states clearly and without any trace of doubt:

7. If, as a consequence of a court judgment or allegation of patent infringement or for any other reason (not limited to patent issues), conditions are imposed on you (whether by court order, agreement or otherwise) that contradict the conditions of this License, they do not excuse you from the conditions of this License. If you cannot distribute so as to satisfy simultaneously your obligations under this License and any other pertinent obligations, then as a consequence you may not distribute the Program at all. For example, if a patent license would not permit royalty-free redistribution of the Program by all those who receive copies directly or indirectly through you, then the only way you could satisfy both it and this License would be to refrain entirely from distribution of the Program.

I'm linking the GPL2.0 because this is the license I'm familiar about for more time - since 90's, I think - searching what I want on 3.0 is still messy for me, so perhaps such limitation does not apply on it - but again, remember the Texas Court ruling that Copyleft is not above nor over the Copyright Act.

So the problem I see is that if by any means the licensor mess up something (and this thread *huge* size appears to demonstrate how easy is that), the GPL clause that grants distribution and usage is void and null (the english term that appears to be applicable to my mother tongue "Esta cláusula é nula de direito").

By the Copyright Act, you lose the right to distribute and to use such software bundle (or at least is what it was stated before in this very thread). So, by using it you are in Copyright Infringement (and in some countries, even by having it on your hard drive is a infringement!).

And yet, we have that :censored: legalese article I linked before where it is stated that Copyleft is not above nor over the Copyright Act. I think it's safe to assume that the OHM TOS isn't either.

So, I'm defending that a safer approach would to make things the most Copyright Act friendly we could.

Said that, it's perfectly possible that by some legal mechanism or subitity I do not know (and perhaps you do), such implicit copyright granting is legally defensible. You *can* be right, I just don't know how it would be possible.

If you are right, we don't have any problem at all, as the Amateurs Add-On Developers are already covered by such Minimal License I advocate for them (it is just implicit).

But to such thing be true, we *must* find that legal mechanism or subitity that authorizes us to do things this way - or my argument became somewhat stronger and more feasible, and then I think we should do something (being that Standard OHM Minimum License my suggestion).

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
In some countries, you can be a felon by merely possessing such material, even by believing in good faith it was legal to download it.

"in some countries"... you can even get killed for the mere accusation of blasphemy. What do you expect? Make the extreme the norm?

In most countries, its very hard to construct a crime from copyright violations. In Germany and similar countries, based on Roman law traditions, it requires organized crime grade business from copyright violations - even massive copyright violations alone are often not enough to make it more than a civil case.

meson800

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
But to such thing be true, we *must* find that legal mechanism or subitity that authorizes us to do things this way - or my argument became somewhat stronger and more feasible, and then I think we should do something (being that Standard OHM Minimum License my suggestion).

Ok, from a question on how Github's "none" license is legal, Github puts something in their FAQ saying that, by creating a Github repo, you are giving up the minimal rights that allow someone to push the "fork" button on your public repo. Their TOS has something similar.

Modeling Github, something in the OH TOS such as:
However, by uploading this addon to be viewed publicly, you agree to allow others to view and download your Content.
would suffice. It seems kind of tautological, but it works for Github. No license needed, just a clause in the TOS.

(The Github clause is:
However, by setting your pages to be viewed publicly, you agree to allow others to view your Content. By setting your repositories to be viewed publicly, you agree to allow others to view and fork your repositories.
)

The legal mechanism that allows that is the same one that makes TOS exist.

Lisias

Space Traveller Wanna-be
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
There's also one of my favorites, the "Do what the :censored: you want license" :lol:

I second that. :)

The discussion has merits, but the whole thing is nitpicky. For the vast majority of addons, the arguments brought up don't apply.

For the sake of the argument, can you pinpoint some examples? O found allegations using "vast majority", "all of them", etc, somewhat hard to uphold (being the reason I had withdraw such statement from one post of mine before).

For point one, it's obvious that the uploader accepted the TOS; there's no other way to upload.

But once I download the bundle, where is the link that guarantees me such right granting applies to me?

If the bundle was by some personal, non legal reasons dropped from OHM, I still have the rights to keep using that bundle?

Its defensible under the Copyright Act such kind of implicit licensing? Or in other words, The TOS of the site I download something can be used a licensing terms of the material I downloaded from them? It's this licensing terms still valid if the content is withdraw from the site?

And, this is the most important part, on what grounds you uphold your responses for my questions?

(links, quotes, anything - please educate me)

For point two, it doesn't matter. Copyright doesn't touch private use. There are no circumstances, as long as you aren't reproducing it, that you would ever have to prove that you legally downloaded it. Here is a paper by a University of Michigan law professor asserting that personal use is lawful.

By your means, you are implying that as long I do not distribute, it's perfectly ok to use Software under Copyright infringement?

Am I allowed to use a Pirated Copy of Microsoft Windows to run Orbiter, as long as I do not further distribute it?

And, more important, the paper you link (interesting reading) is Law Abiding? Ms. Jessica Litman interpretation of the Law is usable over USA borders?

I understood by reading it that in USA, the present licensing terms of OHM is acceptable, as all of us use Orbiter Add Ons on a strict personal uses basis.

Good to know - mainly because it appears to me that Orbiter Hangar is hosted in USA.

Now, and IMHO, we need to address the use rights from people from other countries too. Such law interpretation is valid on EU?

For point three, unless OH changes dramatically, OH is a repository for Orbiter addons. Any change in the TOS, assuming that a dramatic change doesn't occur, still doesn't change the fact that you are uploading an addon to be used with Orbiter.

You used the magic word : "assuming".

I would like to get rid of "assumptions", and make things crystal clear without any trace of doubt.

Granted, if really needed.

---------- Post added at 02:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 AM ----------

"in some countries"... you can even get killed for the mere accusation of blasphemy. What do you expect? Make the extreme the norm?

If we were a Religiously based community, it could be our concernings if by some reason we could be used to prosecute some sorrow soul to death - at least, in the moment in which are aware of the possibility.

But granted, you would not be liable for such things. You are perfectly entitled to do not care, and I respect your position.

But I care. Am I entitled to such position?

Bringing your argument to our reality: you are stating that since in USA, as it appears based on the linked paper you brought to our attention recently, americans simply don't have to care about such implicit terms, Orbiter Hangar should not take any actions in order to add some, how I would say... legal peace of mind? ... to the non americans Add On Developers and Users?

This is not an argument, it's a real question: it's perfectly acceptable if Orbiter Hangar decides to be an USA centric site.

But I would like to be aware of that - just in case.

In most countries, its very hard to construct a crime from copyright violations. In Germany and similar countries, based on Roman law traditions, it requires organized crime grade business from copyright violations - even massive copyright violations alone are often not enough to make it more than a civil case.

I think that I already stated that the fear to be prosecuted is not my motivating force (but I don't live in Australia :) ). What I want, if possible, is to be more "Law friendly" as it is possible for the sake of peace of mind.

I was not very pleased in a recent accusation of doing Copyright Infringement, I won't be happy on seeing anyone here facing such accusations - or by some Open Source license violations neither. This things are very disgusting situations - please believe that nobody would be pleased on living this.

If Software Licenses are going to be used on Orbiter Add Ons, it appears to me that such Licenses should be respected, or not used at all.

(The Github clause is: )
However, by setting your pages to be viewed publicly, you agree to allow others to view your Content. By setting your repositories to be viewed publicly, you agree to allow others to view and fork your repositories.

I don't see GitHub granting me the right to use the forked material.

Picky? Yes. But nobody likes to be poked by such things. :)

Yet further, in the very same page you gave us:

GitHub probably intends "the right to fork" to mean "the right to use the Fork feature of the github.com website." In this case, "creating a fork" would not mean generally creating a copy or derivative work (as it does in general FLOSS parlance), but rather it means triggering the software of github.com to create and host a verbatim copy of a repository and categorize that copy under the user's list of forks.

If the original copyright owner doesn't license any other permissions, clicking that button is all that the TOS-required permission allows the user can do. This doesn't grant any rights to create a derivative work, or to redistribute the code outside of github.com, since the "Fork" feature is intrinsic to the github.com website.

Please note, also, that GitHub is a code repository - it's my understanding that things that works perfectly fine to source code could not be so fine in artistic content.

---------- Post added at 02:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:43 AM ----------

This is NOT how a license change works.

To make a license change, you must contact EVERY contributor and obtain an explicit sign-off to make ANY alternations to licensing.

I will answer this by quoting myself:

Such a project will have a leader, that will for sure be a somewhat experienced developer. Being the project leader, it's up to him to choose the license, to educate his collaborateurs and guarantee the he has the copyright rights he needs.
(emphasis are... recently... mine).

This is the EXACT way a license change works. The uploader (Project Leader) must had been granted the copyright rights it needs to do so.

Changing the licensing of my work is possible because I have the Copyright rights I need to to so.

Changing the licensing of a collaborative work is possible when the guy distributing the bundle (the uploader) has been granted such right by all the Copyright Holders.

People that don't agrees with the licensing terms will not collaborate to him, and if the guy is not that smart and accepts collaboration in terms he doesn't wants and insist on using it in his own terms, anyone of the collaborateurs are entitled to issue a Cease and Desist on such material.

Besides, it was stated already that OHM TOS is also a licensing term (not really sure of that, by the guy appears to know what he's talking). So, you had objected to something that is happening right now - to the uploader explicitly had been granted the right to cope with OHM TOS by using someone else differently licensed code?

Last edited:

dseagrav

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
This is the EXACT way a license change works. The uploader (Project Leader) must had been granted the copyright rights it needs to do so.
This is not true. Unless you have an explicit and separate contributor license agreement assigning copyright ownership to the project leader, the copyright of all contributions remains with the contributor.

The only way to have complete copyright ownership of a project is to be the sole contributor of everything, or have a contributor license agreement assigning you that ownership.

See http://opensource.stackexchange.com...pl-v2-what-if-i-cant-contact-all-contributors

Edit: See also http://opensource.stackexchange.com...exposure-to-third-parties-not-our-contributor and http://opensource.stackexchange.com...legal-exposure-if-we-include-another-projects on GPL interaction with Orbiter.

Last edited:

Lisias

Space Traveller Wanna-be
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
This is not true. Unless you have an explicit and separate contributor license agreement assigning copyright ownership to the project leader, the copyright of all contributions remains with the contributor.

The only way to have complete copyright ownership of a project is to be the sole contributor of everything, or have a contributor license agreement assigning you that ownership.

See http://opensource.stackexchange.com...pl-v2-what-if-i-cant-contact-all-contributors

Sorry, but it appears to me that you are reducing the issue to a GPL only thing.

It's clear that once you adopt GPL, you must had been granted specific authorisation from every Copyright Holder in order to relicense it to something else - such requirement required by GPL itself (in a self preservating mechanism - one of the reasons GPL work can not be hijacked).

I don't see such a need in order to relicense something else INTO GPL - as long the GPL demanding rights were already been granted by the copyright holders to the guy redistributing it.

Sublicensing is also a grantable Copyright Right.

(you must ask every copyright holder while adding or changing the licensing terms because GPL explicitly doesn't grants sublicensing rights!).

But such loophole wasn't directly addressed in my argumenting, so thank you for bringing this to my attention.

--- POST EDIT ---

The MIT license explicitly grants sublicensing rights.

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights
to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions

(emphasis are mine)

--- POST POST EDIT ---

BTW, BSD, as far as I understood, doesn't grants sublicensing rights - you can do pretty much whatever you want with the code - including embedding the code into proprietary works, but you must include the license text into the bundle and explicitly state what parts of your work is copyrighted under the BSD License. :)

Last edited: