John Watts Young (September 24, 1930 – January 5, 2018)

rodion_herrera

Moonwatcher
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
astronomicalsolutions.com
I am still speechless. He IS my favorite astronaut.

John_Young_(astronaut)
A10WSS2.jpg

-RODION

Last edited:

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Commander of 3 generations of NASA space flight (Gemini, Apollo and Shuttle eras), and one of only 6 people ever to drive on the Moon. RIP Commander - fair winds and following seas on your final journey.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I am still speechless. He was my favorite astronaut.

He still is my favorite astronaut. Dead or alive, it doesn't change it. He flew three different kinds of spacecraft in his career, a multitude of aircraft as test pilot... but what made him much more important for me. He came from a very low social background and worked himself up to the moon. Who could have expected that of that child?

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
He did have the can do of the original 7. Read he was hard to work with, probably didn't suffer fools gladly or accept low performance.

N.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
He did have the can do of the original 7. Read he was hard to work with, probably didn't suffer fools gladly or accept low performance.

N.

Well, he smuggled a Sandwich onboard the spacecraft on his first flight (The first manned flight of Gemini!) and still managed to somehow make a career at NASA including doing the first manned flight of the STS. He was orbiting the moon twice and did land there once. And his Apollo 10 mission still holds the speed record for the fastest manned vehicle during its reentry. You don't get such a career for being a simple character - you need to be better at something than others and show this.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
He was the epitome of the test pilot. Super cool, nothing rattled him. One of the greatest aviators ever.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
One of only a handful of Astronauts, that was bigger than NASA. IMHO

rodion_herrera

Moonwatcher
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
astronomicalsolutions.com
He still is my favorite astronaut. Dead or alive, it doesn't change it. He flew three different kinds of spacecraft in his career, a multitude of aircraft as test pilot... but what made him much more important for me. He came from a very low social background and worked himself up to the moon. Who could have expected that of that child?

Yes, I correct myself... he is STILL my favorite astronaut, thanks for the reminder.

Felt like sketching, so I sketched him during his Gemini 3 days...

Xs9hn8j.jpg

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
RIP :(
I like to remember one of his quotes:

“RTLS requires continuous miracles interspersed with acts of God to be successful”

Some of you may know the story behind this (the "russian roulette")...

TeamJackSwigert

Reaction score
With the loss of John Young we lost a great test-pilot, engineer and adventurer. The guy worked at NASA untill 2004, come on, who can say that... Godspeed sir