News "Jerry" causes upset in the Home Counties!

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Sounds like a soundbite from 1940, Luckily, its self inflicted!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17545258

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerrycan"]Jerrycan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keep_Calm_and_Carry_On"]Keep Calm and Carry On - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

No offense to any who dont know what "Jerry" meant in WWII, it has no pejorative context as far as I know.

N.

Last edited:

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
just to throw something else out there which shows just how confused our Government are - This was posted by a Police Officer:

If you think the inept management of the fuel crisis is restricted to hapless government ministers; think again.

At the 09.00 hrs Tactical Management Meeting this morning, emergency response police commanders like me were told that our response crews must not sit in queues for fuel because it sends out ‘the wrong message’ and may panic the public. I guess the rationale behind this is that if the public see emergency service vehicles in queues, they will work out that we are not attending emergency calls and that we don’t have our own fuel.

At the 10.00 hrs Local Management Meeting, neighbourhood police commanders were told that marked police vehicles should join the queues as soon as possible and get filled up as a contingency, in case the petrol stations run dry. If the public approach police officers in the queue and ask questions, we are to ‘reassure them’. When asked how and what to reassure the public about, an answer was not forthcoming.

We have established plans for emergency service and essential staff vehicle fuel supply. Plans like restricted lanes at large 24/7 fuel stations and designated fuel stations in rural locations. We can’t trigger these plans because then we would be officially admitting that there is a crisis. And of course there is not a crisis. Unless you are trying to fill up an ambulance, police car or fire engine.

The distances we now travel, thanks to the unwise adoption of the already failed ‘patrol hub’ and ‘central custody’ systems, are huge. Those of us on the ground who could use a slide rule, a map and some fuel consumption tables have always said that the huge increase in the use of fuel necessitated by adopting these ‘remote management’ systems would easily outweigh the savings made by moving the odd out-station-crew back to the centre.

So; to queue or not to queue. That is the question.

Source: http://inspectorgadget.wordpress.com/2012/03/29/to-queue-or-not-to-queue-that-is-the-question/

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Time for reactivating the mounted police in the Empire. at least for getting gasoline for the rest.

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
who seriously believes that we're gonna have a fuel starvation? the oil companies make too much out of us to let that happen. sure they've diversified, but i doubt they could survive without their oil completley... at least, not all of them

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
I suspect the fuel companies want a strike - more panic = more queues. More queues = more demand.

Demand = Prices up = PROFT.

And if the Government follow through and get the army to deliver fuel the fuel companies won't even have to pay for the deliveries = PROFIT.

Or maybe I'm being cynical?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Not really cruel... we pay 170 cent this weekend per liter. That is cruel.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
We're all gonna die.:(

Oh, wait. Is it only in the UK?

OK.

They're all gonna die.:(

Good stuff, but you have to invert your smilies, or just the one?

N.

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
one of few good things about living in brazil - i've been pretty much "rolling green" since last year :rolleyes:

yes, my car has a flex-fuel engine, which i feed alcohol more often than not :thumbup: - so if oil eventually runs out, well... i know i ain't stopping :p

it's cheaper, and it's cleaner.... it does however run about 30% more fuel-rich than gasoline, so it depletes sooner - but calculating with the price difference per liter, it usually pays off :cheers:

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
one of few good things about living in brazil - i've been pretty much "rolling green" since last year :rolleyes:

yes, my car has a flex-fuel engine, which i feed alcohol more often than not :thumbup: - so if oil eventually runs out, well... i know i ain't stopping :p

it's cheaper, and it's cleaner.... it does however run about 30% more fuel-rich than gasoline, so it depletes sooner - but calculating with the price difference per liter, it usually pays off :cheers:

Start pouring in the vodka! :p

The new Nissan Armada we just got is flex fuel as well, but the gas mileage with E85 is crap (like it wasn't already with regular gasoline?)

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
A news report this morning said that there would be 'no fuel strikes within 7 days and probably not for 10', however, people are still panic buying with demand up 172%.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17558294

Are we really so desperate to retain our cars that we can't concive of other options to get from A to B?

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Are we really so desperate to retain our cars that we can't concive of other options to get from A to B?
A lot depends on the distance you travel and where you live. (As you know)

Public transport options in the country are often quite limited.

That said, I suspect that most people buying petrol don't live in the country and probably live right next to the train line.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Public transport options in the country are often quite limited.

That said, I suspect that most people buying petrol don't live in the country and probably live right next to the train line.

Oh I know. I live 10 minutes from a train line which I use almost everyday. Last night my wife had to come collect me in the car because there were problems and trains were terminating much further up the line.

streb2001

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score