Addon Comments
Reaction score

Author: jel

JELAIR-HotAirBalloon(UCGOandUMmu)
by JELAIR 20110218
(for Orbiter101016)

Category: Vessel, realistic

Compatible with:
OrbiterSound 3.5, Universal Cars and Cargos 2.0 (UCGO), Universal Mmu 2.0 (UMmu)
Download all 3 at: http://orbiter.dansteph.com/

Description:
Realistic Hot Air Balloon with an envelope volume of roughly 2,832 m³ (100,000 ft³) that can carry up to 5 people and 4 pieces of cargo for a duration of 1-2 hours.
It's the famous type often seen at balloon-festivals such as that of Albuquerque, NM.

Intended use:
For sight-seeing around your favorite base or airport.

This version can co-exist with the non-UCGO/UMmu version.

-------------------------------------------------------
Change-log:

* added: textured 3ds mesh for those who do not use anim8or.
* added: backup of previous releases so a user can revert to an earlier version.
* changed: the balloon now spawns empty when spawned from UCGO cargo.
* changed: time-acceleration lock is removed to improve multiplayer stability.
* bug/fixed: with balloons on more than 1 planet only 1 atmosphere was used by all.
* bug/identified: balloon operation and flight-model is not limited to only the balloon in focus, but is shared by all (even UMMUs)
* bug/identified: buoyancy temp calculation on HUD is only correct for earth.

* added: the balloon can now be carried as cargo by other vessels.

* Initial version 1 release.
-------------------------------------------------------

DOWNLOAD

Carmen A

redneck kitten with pillow :3
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
v149th.yolasite.com
Sweet, you made it! I am so going to put it in omp lol.

Next suggestion - if we can make the balloon as a UCGO cargo we can seed alien planets with balloons! Awesome!

JEL

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jelstudio.dk
It was a little tricky to get it all sorted out, but yeah now people can parachute-jump out of the gondola haha which is quite fun actually :)

JEL

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jelstudio.dk
I haven't really played around with the UMmu stuff, so the sky-diving thing was something I only discovered today. I was testing if the keys worked and suddenly it said captain jim bob sherwood had ejected and I just saw a flash of his helmet going down :blink:
Then when I switched to external cam I saw he had opened his parachute by himself. That UMmu thing is smart :)

I have tested the balloon on both Mars and Venus... doesn't fly. I thought it would on Mars, but for some reason it says the balloon has to be cooler than surface-temp. I'm going to see what's wrong with that. On Venus the surface-temp is too hot for the envelope, it melts before you can start the burner. Maybe it can be dropped from orbit though, i'll have to check on that.

For the balloon to become usable UCGO cargo, is it necessary for it's own DLL to include such code? Can't it be turned into cargo as it is? I'll re-read the SDK pdf's later :)

Axertan

Reaction score
It is quite simple to turn a thing into a UCGO cargo, really. So I did :D Now for different texture of cargo box: Carmen's work :p

Carmen A

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
v149th.yolasite.com
The packed version works fine but when deployed it appears with a full crew. So far I see no config files to modify the default crew. What's happening?

Carmen A

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
v149th.yolasite.com
JELAIR BALLOON REFIT

Contents:

- Retextured balloon to be more lifelike
- The "gondola" is now a metal mesh thing, unfortunately I can't make it more realistic because it's a single-texture cube
- UCGO cargo cube containing a balloon - there is a UMMU deployed and an auto deploying option (uses duplicate UCGO cube mesh)
- Custom texture for above UCGO cube

Issues:

I need help with the UCGO deployment as the balloon appears with a full crew of 5. Where do they come from? I see no configuration file that generates the default crew.

Screenshots:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Package attached -

JEL if you want to include this in your addon update, just go ahead :3

Gameplay -

The balloon is fun! it has its own special flight model and control interface.

Credits:
Balloon model, design, programming - JEL
Cargo Packing - Axertan

Attachments

• JELAIRBalloonRefit-CarmenA.zip
    209.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

JEL

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jelstudio.dk
WOW!!! Cool stuff you're doing there! I'm so impressed with this I'm going to release the source for both the DLL and the anim8or mesh. You're completely free to update all of it in any way you like and upload it and so on :)
Excellent stuff guys, thanks a lot :thumbup: :tiphat: :cheers:

Attachments

• JELAIR-HotAirBalloon(UCGOandUMmu)_SDKwithMESH.zip
    93.9 KB · Views: 10

Carmen A

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
v149th.yolasite.com
JEL - do you want to integrate my stuff into your 'official' balloon pack? You did all the hard work getting the model and flight interface in game after all, I don't mind to give the credit to you.

Oh and Audra Lynn ftw :3

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
JEL - do you want to integrate my stuff into your 'official' balloon pack? You did all the hard work getting the model and flight interface in game after all, I don't mind to give the credit to you.

Oh and Audra Lynn ftw :3

Please do JEL, others do not always look at the "Addons & Comments" section. They will not know about the UCGO cargo update.

JEL

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jelstudio.dk
I sure do :) Credit where credit is due, so your name and Axertan's will go on my credit-list for the cargo part. I'll probably modify things like weights and so on. Don't let that stop you from doing and uploading your own balloon-line if you will though, because my skills in this are limited so I'm not sure I can make the balloon much better anyway. Besides, you might want a balloon with different properties than those I started out with so we might even develop in totally different directions (more choices :) ) or maybe even come up with completely new derivatives (a rigid airship perhaps, might be fun)

Thanks. Orbiter FTW ;)

Carmen A

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
v149th.yolasite.com
Yah, just now we concluded if we remove the scenario file, the UCGO balloon should come without crew but anyway we're happy it works and we had fun flying it in multiplayer.

Axertan

Reaction score
Detected issues:

When the balloon is warm, (temp difference >1) and you EVA a crewmember and switch focus to him, he starts flying up in the sky. When you switch focus back to the balloon he stops flying up and starts falling down. I suspect it retains the state vector of the balloon in some way.

Carmen A

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
v149th.yolasite.com
OMP balloon flight. Epic fun.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Then, the Air Force decided we were a threat to homeland security :p

Next for JELAIR we definitely must have blimps, aerostats, maybe a Zeppelin :D I think the code works great, but just need to enable time acceleration so online stability is improved.

If the AA missile addon is working we can even play Crimson Skies :D

Last edited:

JEL

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jelstudio.dk
I just updated the hangar file with your cargo-code (I just changed the weight to that of the empty balloon and it's fuel and gondola and then added a bit extra for the cargo-box; 250 kg total). I haven't done any changes to the balloon DLL just yet though.

I'll check on the flying EVA member, thanks for reporting. I also have to figure out what happens when the balloon is on Mars, because something weird was going on there.
No updates from me in the next few days though.

Love the photos :D How do you fly 2 balloons at the same time? Switching back and forth or by remote-control? I haven't tried that myself yet.
EDIT* you said multiplayer ofcourse. Got it, must learn to read carefully ;)

Time-acceleration was locked at 1 because I got some CTD's if I upped it too much.

Last edited:

JEL

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jelstudio.dk
enable time acceleration so online stability is improved.

Done :)

...and this:

Change-log:

* added: textured 3ds mesh for those who do not use anim8or.
* added: backup of previous releases so a user can revert to an earlier version.
* changed: the balloon now spawns empty when spawned from UCGO cargo.
* changed: time-acceleration lock is removed to improve multiplayer stability.
* bug/fixed: with balloons on more than 1 planet only 1 atmosphere was used by all.
* bug/identified: balloon operation and flight-model is not limited to only the balloon in focus, but is shared by all (even UMMUs)
* bug/identified: buoyancy temp calculation on HUD is only correct for earth.

The balloon does work on other planets. It can be descended into the venusian atmosphere, for example, and flown there without problems (not all the way to the ground though as the temps rise too much if you descend too low). Mars' atmosphere is too thin though, so it wont fly there. I haven't tested other planets.

Last edited:

DG IV

Reaction score
Did you name all the mmus from wizards of waverley place?

---------- Post added at 11:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:22 AM ----------

Hey jel great balloon:hailprobe: