• Total voters

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
I was wondering how many people think global warming exists and if it is a problem.

Post your thoughts here.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Yes and it is a problem. Regardless what caused it, it is sure not appreciable.

simonpro

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Reaction score
It exists, as has been shown conclusively in scientific literature for over ten years.

pete.dakota

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Another inapt poll..

Of course 'GW' exists, and of course it's a problem... Nobody credible denies the apparentness of global warning, and, similarly, nobody will claim it isn't a problem.

If you're trying to start a discussion about global warming, post a poll stating answers with means of tackling it. As I'm sure everyone here is aware of global warming and it's issue.

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
As I'm sure everyone here is aware of global warming and it's issue.

Don't be to hasty there, are you absolutely sure that everyone thinks so?

There is no global warming. Period.

You can't find a real scientist anywhere in the world who can look you in the eye and, without hesitation, without clarification, without saying, kinda, mighta, sorta, if, and or but...say "yes, global warming is with us."

APC; United Nations

Moonwalker

Reaction score
I don't think that global warming is a problem as long as it remains in a certain level. I think that also global cooling wouldn't be a problem as long as it remains in a certain level. Climate changes always happened and will continue to do so.

And further, it's not even easy to say what the problem of a climate change is like. An increasing humankind? A decreasing humankind? How much people and species should exist? Why should a certain number exist or even increase? Why is it a problem if the number of species decrease?

One thing is for sure: weather is never stable. So climate never is. We don't decide if it's cold or hot outside tomorrow. And vice versa the atmosphere doesn't care what we think about it.

I personally don't see "problems" concerning the climate, less than ever on the slight warming we have currently. I don't really like it cold. The current climate here in Germany is just perfectly :) And if it gets out of control, we won't control it like an air condition, nor won't we prevent it.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I can tell you from experience that global warming is a fact and I can also tell you it's a problem from experience.

pete.dakota

Donator
Donator
Reaction score

The mean temperature anomaly is up 0.6 °C since the mid-40s. If that isn't warming, what is? The question is whether this warming is natural, and supposed to be occurring, or if it's being caused or exacerbated by human influence; not whether it exists.

Torgo

Reaction score
Global climate change is shown to have occurred for hundreds of millions, if not billions of years. We appear to be in a warming cycle now. The earth has been much warmer than it is now.

The poll, however, is not very well thought out. I suspect the pollster is attempting to figure out if we believe that global climate change is being brought about by human activity.

Human activity may or may not be affecting the rate of climate change. Global climate change, however, occurs regardless of human activity. We could very well stop all forms of all pollution tomorrow, and it wouldn't make one bit of difference in regards to a changing climate.

For further reference, Google "ice age, end of the last", "snowball earth", and "the year without a summer". All are drastic climactic-change related, and none were affected at all by the activities of Homo Sapiens Sapiens.

Reaction score
You can't find a real scientist anywhere in the world who can look you in the eye and, without hesitation, without clarification, without saying, kinda, mighta, sorta, if, and or but...say "yes, 2 + 2 = 4."
*fixed*

A good scientist will never tell you anything with complete certainty, because they recognize that we can't know anything with complete certainty. Any theory is based on certain assumptions that can't be proven. If any of those assumptions are wrong, then the theory may be wrong too. So no, we can't say with 100% certainty that global warming is real. We also can't say with 100% certainty that it isn't real. What we can say is that the evidence supporting global warming is almost overwhelming. We can also say that it is very probably being caused, at least in part, by human activity. The evidence may not convince everyone, but it does seem to have convinced the majority of the scientific community, and what I've seen of it has been enough to convince me.

Dons flame retardant suit and posts link that should really go at the top of any discussion of global warming:
http://ipcc-wg1.ucar.edu/wg1/wg1-report.html

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
A good scientist can tell you how much he is wrong. ;)

I have some examples in the beginning of my numeric lecture handout, which solve a simple linear equation system, and give you residuals on the magnitude of 1E-17. But the solution is actually completely wrong. And you notice it once you do the calculations a bit more careful and know where the numerical errors come from.

pete.dakota

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
A number, based on a man-made mathematical construct.

Don't make your life depend on numbers too much ;)

How do you suppose man measures temperature, if it is not with numbers? Stepping outside every morning and logging your opinion using adjectives?

Of course 0.6 is a number. Argue how it is not representative of a value, numerical or otherwise, and how, without numbers, science can be pre-eminent.

Forgetting the number, and whether or not it's a futile 'mathematical construct', the mean temperature anomaly has increased. That can't be argued by anyone; regardless of whether stapling the change with a number is prudent.

Any my life doesn't depend on numbers. I'm quite terrible at maths. ;)

Biscuit

Donator
Reaction score
*sigh*

So ... if so many people are so worked up that man has that much control over the temperature of the Earth and is causing "Global Warming" due to CO2 emissions (completely discounting atmospheric water vapor, cosmic radiation linked to cloud formation, THE SUN (scientists have said that Mars has been experiencing warming ... oh, those evil SUVs!)) ... and, considering it has been both much warmer and much colder in the history of the Earth ...

... could someone please tell me exactly what the perfect global temperature is supposed to be?

penlu

Reaction score
Global warming might be a problem. But what I'm REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY scared about is an albedo event, or "snowball Earth." Won't happen for a while, but...

The scenario is this: sometime in the far future, continental drift lines up all the continents at or near the equator. Oceans don't absorb so much heat anymore, so a runaway cooling effect occurs. More ice= more reflectivity=less heat=more ice... Oh crud, if you know what I mean.

If global warming melts the arctic ice cap (NOT antarctic) we are NOT all doomed. The ice displaces water, and if it melts, there will actually be no net increase in sea levels. On the other hannd, Antarctic ice isn't floating, so if that melted... oh crud. Global warming could definitely be negated if we found a way to put Earth into a similarly-distanced orbit around Tau Ceti. Teleportation!

Moonwalker

Reaction score
Forgetting the number, and whether or not it's a futile 'mathematical construct', the mean temperature anomaly has increased.

So what? It can either increase or decrease, like the local daily temperature change, but just much slower. It doesn't really matter. We will never stop to be worried about our mean value which we have defined and calculated. We will always scare, or lets say a part of us. I'm not a part of such scare communities.

To decrease or stop our little bit of emissions (compared to what the nature produces on the whole) wouldn't stop climate changes at all for sure. If it gets warmer, colder or if we face the end of the world, we won't prevent it nor would anything outside this planet be sad about that or help us less than ever.

Omhra

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
:eek:rlyflag:

this again? :speakcool: OF course its real and of course its a problem; and because we are thinking beings its OUR problem.

Look at it this way...
People die... all the time, and its no one's fault...:(
Murder is a way to die therefore it is no one's fault.
:blink: Woot?!
This kind of logic makes no sense to me...

So,
The globe introduces a kind of gases into the atmosphere and the climate changes.
Therefore; if the globe introduces gases and we introduce other gases and the climate changes faster... well then... :withstupid: :rofl:

Biscuit

Donator
Reaction score
Again ... if man is having so large an effect on the climate ... what is the 'perfect' temperature?

Nobody seems to have an answer to that question ... only shouts of "down with oil, down with technology, down with evil America!".

Omhra

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
No one has said that, ... and if you could keep it out of the political it would be nice too...

No one knows the "perfect temperature" but we have a good idea of the temperatures that trigger extinctions in massive scale.
And further I would argue that is best to err on the side of caution than just to shake your head and continue to use 100 year old technology.
The understanding of this phenomenon is a must. And the effect we have on our planet must be known and our behavior adjusted accordingly.