Idea International O-F Space Station

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
A thought just occurred to me, in the real world we have the international Space Station. Members from around the world make and participate in the construction... Now what if the members on O-F do the same thing?

Everyone and anyone can participate, someone could make a 'base' or starting point for the modules and we can make limitations like they must be brought up with a space shuttle or something. From there on in, sky's the limit :)

So what does everyone think? Dumb idea or would anyone like to see this happen?

lennartsmit

Reaction score
That would be very interesting but it needs good planning. I guess you should have one base scenario that, when you have permission, could add a module and put the scenario on o-f.

Last edited:

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I like the idea!

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Great idea, I think a good idea would be if several people build space stations with 50 parts with the Orbiter scenario editor, upload the scenario and all people can vote wich of them they like most. We would need to limit it to a number of members to keep it from growing to much and beeing uncontrolable. I think a 50 members limit would be good, I don't think that over 50 members are interested. Now we would make a plan how we launch the modules and randomly choose who launches wich part of the Station, maybe with a two day time limit to finish a mission before another member is choosen to avoid long waiting times, and let members that don't finish within two days fly a later mission.

EDIT: If more than 50 people are interested we could do the same again to add 50 more modules with 50 other members after the first 50 missions are completed.

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Sounds like a perfect use of the Astra Space Flight Contracts feature... *coughcough* :p

Regardless, many people have wanted to do something like this, myself included, so it seems to me that there should be no problem getting volunteers.

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
Great idea, I think a good idea would be if several people build space stations with 50 parts with the Orbiter scenario editor, upload the scenario and all people can vote wich of them they like most. We would need to limit it to a number of members to keep it from growing to much and beeing uncontrolable. I think a 50 members limit would be good, I don't think that over 50 members are interested. Now we would make a plan how we launch the modules and randomly choose who launches wich part of the Station, maybe with a two day time limit to finish a mission before another member is choosen to avoid long waiting times, and let members that don't finish within two days fly a later mission.

EDIT: If more than 50 people are interested we could do the same again to add 50 more modules with 50 other members after the first 50 missions are completed.

Its not so much about launching the modules, although we could very well organize something like that. We still have to get the modules put together before we can launch them, and since they obviously take time to make (fitting into everyone's schedules) people can group up or go by themselves to make their module.

Each module will be separate from each other so it can be brought up with some defined vessel. A vote has to be taken to either keep it realistic (no DG ) or not. There also has to be universal docking port made (just a slice of one) so that slice can be added to the modules and it will make it very easy for any module interaction and docking.

Each member will have to post his/her idea and what that group is working on so we don't have two groups working on the same thing, (like a docking module for the Space Shuttle)

:cheers:

Scrooge McDuck

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbitermap.no-ip.org
Nice idea.
It might be good to have a special topic/project on the forum, where the first post always contains the latest scenario + required addons attached to that post.

I suppose the fun part is using your own new addons, besides using excisting addons (station parts like Stellar/Arthemis like those that can be found here). Also customized textures would do (like customizing the visual logos/texts on the station modules).

In order to get things organized, wouldn't it be better to concentrate on building the station itself, not the launching? I mean so that everytime someone has added (with permission) a new part, the main "Common" scenario could be updated with just those parts that are needed, no rest stuff from launchers, etc.

Also, it would be nice to have special sections for the station. For example, a "wing" reserved for parts from Dutch members, one for American, Canadian, Russian, Saudi Arabian, etc. etc. Each of those individual wings, can grow very big after some time. Of course, besides having a 'combined' part of the station with anyones stuff mixed together!

regards,
mcduck

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
Nice idea.
It might be good to have a special topic/project on the forum, where the first post always contains the latest scenario + required addons attached to that post.

I suppose the fun part is using your own new addons, besides using excisting addons (station parts like Stellar/Arthemis like those that can be found here). Also customized textures would do (like customizing the visual logos/texts on the station modules).

In order to get things organized, wouldn't it be better to concentrate on building the station itself, not the launching? I mean so that everytime someone has added (with permission) a new part, the main "Common" scenario could be updated with just those parts that are needed, no rest stuff from launchers, etc.

This could turn out to be a huge station. Organized by a great many members. Lets get a base going. --but even before that, who thinks we should have the launch vehicles 'realistic' or shall we use any means necessary? ;)

I can just see;

"Launch IOFSS"

attachment.php

attachment.php

Also, it would be nice to have special sections for the station. For example, a "wing" reserved for parts from Dutch members, one for American, Canadian, Russian, Saudi Arabian, etc. etc. Each of those individual wings, can grow very big after some time. Of course, besides having a 'combined' part of the station with anyones stuff mixed together!

That's a great idea, but first lets get the modules a rolling :)

Attachments

• boom3.JPG
    boom3.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 59
  • boom4.JPG
    boom4.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 60