Installation Installation(s) overload.

Wardance

Reaction score
Hello there and good day to you:tiphat:

I specifically signed up for this question. But I didn't either found this forum earlier on. Anyway it seems like a good place for information and to see visits here more oftenly.

The topic title is a bit cryptic because I couldn't think about a more appropriate one.
It basically boils down to the fact that I feel severely handicaped by the 100.000 + of all kinds of orbiter addon modules that one is able to install to setup the simulator in a desired fashion.

Either with launchers, missions, spacecarft, textures, scenery and so forth.

It is clear to me that orbiter is open source. Vanilla orbiter is just the spacefabric. As a user you still need to add your desired celestial objects (sort of)

Unless you completely feel happy with a standalone vanilla version. I don't think many are.

In fact if I could somehow find mods to graphically retexture all the planets with elevation, textures, high detail terrain mesh, scenery, weather effects etcetera etc etc then I would add them.

I don't have worlds fastest Google / NSA computer. (namely a 8gb ram 3770k intel cpu @ 4.3ghz and a OC HD7850 with 2xhdd in raid 0 setup) In case you would know whatever that means.
But it's on a high end bases.
If I could find addons that would use up all that juice I would install them.

My issue.

More to the point I have a issue with all this. I don't know what to download:facepalm:
Also I have a 40hour workweek. I've been familiarizing myself with orbiter addons for the past 2 days in the hours of spare time that I could find where I was settled undisturbed behind my computer. 2.5hours a day at tops.

And I haven't come further then installing a level 11 earth terrain mesh. Something called orulex terrain elevation creator (which I'm not happy with as it creates random elevation not accurate real life...) some AMSO apollo 11, a few spacecrafts here and there. And a :censored:load of rockets, launchers that I downloaded from orbithangar.

(not sure if orbithangar is the place but I got there anyway) The problem is, these rockets do not work. Either the 1st stage seperates from the 2nd or third stage on the launch pad when taking off.

Or the 1st stage doesnt pop off after burn out and I go nowhere lol. Or the rocket doesn't work at all. Or the rocket works but there is no cockpit with instruments.
Most likely because most of these mods have prerequisites, dependencies (other needed plugins to work)

which the download info briefing at orbithangar i.e. does list. But then installing it step by step by the readme does either not fix the software or it doesn't completely finishes the software because they don't tell you what plugins (like launch pads) or other modules work with that mod. Which without those compatible modules renders the mod incomplete and useless.

It's not that I'm incapable of installing software. I have experience with modding simulators, games. Take flight simulator X for example.
I find modding orbiter way more difficult then FSX. Where a fsx plane is just 1 download with a missing livery (paint job) a orbiter rocket consists of loosely dll files. perhaps with a base package. But then missing all cockpits, launchpads, bugs.

Not to mention I had to reinstall orbiter several times because some mods crashed the simulator.
It also happens many times that I find something to download. And in the end orbiter addons are made by users, enthusiasts. That share orbiter addons cost free. And the files end up on upload sites like megaupload.

But these files are then 3 years old so they were removed from the database and no other alternative place to download them again.

What would I want in terms of scenery for example?

Well, something like this
maybe even better if available.
But how do I find out how to download this? The upper didn't list the name of the software or the download link in the video description. Other then that it was photographed by landsat 7 (great sattelite :cheers: )

nor did anybody in the comment box.
Maybe it's just a non published project development. If so then there are still many software out there that I cannot find whenever I see it exists.

In light of this I ask community members from this site if they have tips. Tips like...

1: What are your must have favorites (bookmarked) orbiter websites or some must have exchanges
2:Are there simple guidelines into knowing by forehand what selection of modules make a full orbiter mod.
3:I find that readmes for software (like those on orbithangar) list in their readme what makes the software work. But doesn't list where to download the launch pad, cockpit, fixes other modules to make it complete. Is there a way or ability to search and find those puzzle pieces at a glance?
4:perhaps a site that lists incompatibilities between addons (so I dont reinstall the game because it suddenly got broke)
5:Maybe there is a mobile app so you can scan a mods name and then it pops up with all dependencies and additional modules (I know there isn't just trying to ask:lol: )
6: Anything else you might tell me you think I would find usefull?

Ultimately I'm just a newb to this. But I like this sim, and I like lets say videos on youtube and elsewhere about modded orbiter installations. And so far I struggle to get a few mods working of which I'm not even satisfied completely that occupied nearly 99% of my spare time. And I need to brew some more efficiency into managing my desire to mod.

I know I talked to much, and you probably didn't read it all. Hopefully you read enough to see my desire for information and I hope some of you are willing to share some with me. All I can do in return is offering the both of us a glass of lemonade :cheers: and perhaps a sattelite you might admire like this :hailprobe:

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The topic title is a bit cryptic because I couldn't think about a more appropriate one.
It basically boils down to the fact that I feel severely handicaped by the 100.000 + of all kinds of orbiter addon modules that one is able to install to setup the simulator in a desired fashion.

Either with launchers, missions, spacecarft, textures, scenery and so forth.

Recommended addons fro Orbiter 2010:
http://www.orbiter-forum.com/addons.php?v=2010

It is clear to me that orbiter is open source.

Orbiter is not open source.

In fact if I could somehow find mods to graphically retexture all the planets with elevation, textures, high detail terrain mesh, scenery, weather effects etcetera etc etc then I would add them.

There is no weather and terrain support for currently released versions of Orbiter. There are attempts at it, like Nebo for clouds and Orulex for terrain, but you might want to wait for the next version of Orbiter. Wind is implemented and terrain is being worked on.

I don't have worlds fastest Google / NSA computer. (namely a 8gb ram 3770k intel cpu @ 4.3ghz and a OC HD7850 with 2xhdd in raid 0 setup) In case you would know whatever that means.
But it's on a high end bases.
If I could find addons that would use up all that juice I would install them.

There are really no addons that "use up all the juice" on such a computer. We tend not to make addons that only a handful of people can use, given that the size of the community is already somewhat limited.

(not sure if orbithangar is the place but I got there anyway) The problem is, these rockets do not work. Either the 1st stage seperates from the 2nd or third stage on the launch pad when taking off.

OrbitHangar.com is the "official" repository of Orbiter addons. Vast majority of addons are hosted there and if they're not hosted there, they're linked to other sites from there.

As far as problems with each individual addon, consult the documentation for the addon.

It's not that I'm incapable of installing software. I have experience with modding simulators, games. Take flight simulator X for example.
I find modding orbiter way more difficult then FSX. Where a fsx plane is just 1 download with a missing livery (paint job) a orbiter rocket consists of loosely dll files. perhaps with a base package. But then missing all cockpits, launchpads, bugs.

You've been at it for 2 days, how much Orbiter experience can you possibly have?

Not to mention I had to reinstall orbiter several times because some mods crashed the simulator.

Did you read the contents of the Orbiter.log? It does tell you things, you know.

It also happens many times that I find something to download. And in the end orbiter addons are made by users, enthusiasts. That share orbiter addons cost free. And the files end up on upload sites like megaupload.

Users are free to distribute their addons by any available means as long as they correspond with Orbiter's licence. But if you're saying that someone is sharing addons on other sites without permission of the original authors, you should point those out.

But these files are then 3 years old so they were removed from the database and no other alternative place to download them again.

So use OrbitHangar. It's the official place. If an addon is ever updated, it's updated there.

What would I want in terms of scenery for example?

Well, something like this Orbiter preview: terrain and highres textures - YouTube maybe even better if available.
But how do I find out how to download this? The upper didn't list the name of the software or the download link in the video description. Other then that it was photographed by landsat 7 (great sattelite :cheers: )

nor did anybody in the comment box.
Maybe it's just a non published project development. If so then there are still many software out there that I cannot find whenever I see it exists.

The "upper" is Dr. Martin Schweiger - creator of Orbiter, who in this video is showing off the progress being made with Orbiter. In this example, the terrain he's currently working on. The release day is Tuesday - but don't ask which Tuesday!

6: Anything else you might tell me you think I would find usefull?[/U]

Hail probe! :hailprobe:

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
I could point out that I have a 40 hour work week with 10 hours travel, overtime and I'm on call this weekend :lol:

Everything RisingFury has said is spot on. Orbiter gives you a solar system to play with. Orbit Hangar gives you things to populate that solar system with.

There are some amazing rockets and ships on Orbit hangar, Ones by Woo482 and Loru come to mind as well as those by farmady.

Think of orbiter as the ultimate sandbox. What you want to do with it is up to you but it does take a little bit of effort to set it all up and that's why this community exists.

Yes, it's not perfect. Things like terrain and weather are coming and will come at some point. Patience is a virture with this simulator.

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Welcome aboard Wardance :tiphat:

Unless you completely feel happy with a standalone vanilla version. I don't think many are.

That vanilla version is the foundation for the whole environment, so we most definitely are happy with that version! Before you dismiss it too quickly on the path to a more customized environment, maybe stop and look at "Go Play In Space" with the vanilla environment (plus a couple of utilities it asks you to install), as it will give you all the principles and start showing you the core maneuvers.

The general sequence of addons would be:

Orbiter Sounds ... a must-have really, and adds all sound to the simulation.

D3D9 Client (or D3D11 if you prefer, though D3D9 is the most widely used) ... this is a graphics client that gives you hardware assisted beautiful visuals and much higher frame rates (assuming you have a graphics card)

Textures ... for the places you want to fly. (And maybe a different sun effect addon). These plus D3D9 gives the full visual experience.

XR-series spacecraft (XR-2, XR-5 to start with) ... your introduction to more complex ships than the Delta Glider, including working out how to fly a SCRAM jet, and how to manipulate a more complex cockpit.

MFD's ... add in your deep space trajectory utilities (TransX, IMFD), your launch utilities (LaunchMFD), your reentry utilities (AeroBrake, BaseSync, Glideslope**), your docking utilities (RV Orientation**) ... this set gives you an enriched experience.

From there ... your choice: do you want deep space cruisers and spacestations in the far solar system? Do you want new spaceports on Earth (e.g. Wideawake) and the Moon? Do you want to fly a much more detailed Space Shuttle? Do you want to fly the Russian fleet? Do you want to build a space station? Do you want to fly to Mercury? If so ... you have come to the right place!

Start simple and build up, and don't be shy to ask questions.

~~~
** Shameless plug for my 2 MFD projects there! Compared to the awesomeness of the D3D9 client, or the XR-5, they are mere specks, but they still represent a few thousand hours of work on top of my much more than 40 hour week :)

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
First off, welcome to the forum. I hope you stick around. :cheers:

It is clear to me that orbiter is open source. Vanilla orbiter is just the spacefabric. As a user you still need to add your desired celestial objects (sort of)

To clarify, Orbiter's core physics simulation program is not open source. However the graphical interface and the API used to create the vessels, and celestial bodies are. Orbiter's creator, Professor Schweiger (MartinS on this forum), has been very supportive of the modding community.

As for your questions...
My first suggestion would be to check out the Recommended page. This will give you a good base of what most consider to be the "essential package" and have been check for compatibility between each other.

About the "launchpad". Most addons work by installing them, or unpacking thier associated *.zip/*.rar file into your Orbiter directory. They will then appear under Orbiter's "modules" tab when you run the program. Click on the check box next to the module's name to activate it.

No mobile app, sorry, though it does give one ideas :hmm:

I remember when first discovered orbiter and how overwhelming it was. This forum was an invaluable resource, so on that note I welocime you again, with the exception of Martins we were all newbs at some point ;)

Hail Probe!
:hailprobe:

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
...All that, plus download less, fly more...
Many Orbiter users who want to have lots of add-ons (since sometimes they can clash each other), usualy keep different Orbiter installations in parallel, each dedicated to a particular feature.

And welcome to OF!!

Last edited: