OHM Inflatable Gas Station.

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score

Author: slice n splice

It is a UCGO inflatable Gas station!

Read the Readme for more information and all that.

It is only my second addon so please don't judge me so bad.

I also want feedback so i can make this and other things better!

DOWNLOAD

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Slow down there cowboy, its not a race to release addons. Users are more interested in quality addons. I haven't tried it so I can't judge it, but with no screen shot few are likely to download it.

Slice N Splice

Reaction score
Slow down there cowboy, its not a race to release addons. Users are more interested in quality addons. I haven't tried it so I can't judge it, but with no screen shot few are likely to download it.

Well, im mainly just gonna stick with UCGO because it hard enough making UCGO addons. Muchless a different thing like a ship.

Also how do i take a screenshot?

I use print screen and i cannot find it anywhere on my computer.

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
You have to put it in some kind of image editing program after print screening :p then you just save the image in .jpg or something and upload to OHM on your addon update page :thumbup:

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Also how do i take a screenshot?

I use print screen and i cannot find it anywhere on my computer.

If you use Print Screen then the screenshot is in clipboard (in memory, not in a file), and you need to paste it to graphics editor prior to saving to a file.

If you want your screenshot already saved to a file you can use [ame=http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3279]Screen capture[/ame] add-on for Orbiter.

Slice N Splice

Reaction score
If you use Print Screen then the screenshot is in clipboard (in memory, not in a file), and you need to paste it to graphics editor prior to saving to a file.

If you want your screenshot already saved to a file you can use Screen capture add-on for Orbiter.

Ok i put screenshots on all my addons now.

So now more people will download them.

Thanks! :cheers:

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Whats a druck?
German name for Print Screen. Alt + Print Screen is used to capture only the area of active window and not the full screen, for example if you run Orbiter in windowed mode. The image of window is still in the clipboard, so it needs to be pasted somewhere.

Slice N Splice

Reaction score
German name for Print Screen. Alt + Print Screen is used to capture only the area of active window and not the full screen, for example if you run Orbiter in windowed mode. The image of window is still in the clipboard, so it needs to be pasted somewhere.

Oh ok thanks. :tiphat:

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
It will most likely take you a few days to understand SC3 and Multistage. Start moving to that type of development.

Slice N Splice

Reaction score
It will most likely take you a few days to understand SC3 and Multistage. Start moving to that type of development.

First off, and this really makes me mad when people do this.
You don't tell me what to do.

I would like to stick with UCGO for now then at a later time ill move onto that kind of stuff.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, im mainly just gonna stick with UCGO because it hard enough making UCGO addons. Muchless a different thing like a ship.

Still, making an add-on does not automatically mean you need to release it.

Especially if you are doing only trivial stuff, that can be done by a similar skilled user in 10 minutes. Better either collect smaller add-ons into packs or wait until your skills permit doing bigger works that aren't trivial.

---------- Post added at 02:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:06 PM ----------

Too late. Also a good advice is no reason to get angry.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her

I thought I'd heard that line before. My three-year-old son told me that last week.

Releasing addons to the community is about more than getting a funky title, badge, or your name in orange here on the forum. It's about sharing work with others, and in most cases receiving advice, critique, opinions and reviews from the rest of the community on your work. Sometimes people will not like your addon. This is to be expected. Sometimes, people will suggest how you could improve your addon, be it making it more efficient, suggesting a better way to make textures, tips on reducing poly counts, or ideas for new features to add. Whether you agree or not, being a developer means you will receive lots of this type of (usually) constructive criticism for the addons you release.

Focussing more specifically, to be an addon developer one must develop addons. The word itself should clue you in - an addon is something which adds on to the existing framework of Orbiter, or an existing addon, in some way, and generally improves it, or adds some kind of functionality. Such is rarely achieved through simple modification of configuration and ini files which already exist, or cloning rudimentary boxes together to create "new" addons.

There is no hard and fast rule on what constitutes an addon per se, but most agree that this kind of thing does not fit the bill. Nor indeed does simply modifying someone else's work and releasing it as your own - there's a technical word for that, and it's called plagiarism. It can leave you in a whole heap of trouble with the original developer of the work when you take what they have made, tweak it in a very minor and almost unnoticable way, and release it without so much as a nod to the author in the credits.

I am not attempting to be harsh or mean to what you have created here, nor I suspect are most of the others who have posted in this thread - that is not what this community is about. The aim is, in time, if you take on board what has been said here, and slow yourself down, take your time over what you create and exercise a little judgement in what you share with the community, you will improve your skills, and gain respect and prestige as a developer of addons for Orbiter. Eventually you may even move to creating complex vessel addons with C++ modules, but it is vital to realise that as part of this process, taking on board advice is part of the game.

[/2p's worth]. Have a nice day, and I hope to see some addons from you in the future.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
:hesaid:

Editing a config file and whipping up a texture for it in 10 minutes will not make you an addon developer here. Additionally, uploading more of this stuff will not speed up the process, if anything its slowing it down! As others have suggested, a better plan would be to release one big package with all of the cargos you made instead of spamming both OH and O-F with so many new releases in the same day that are nearly identical.

mmm...kay? Thanks.

Keatah

Reaction score
First off, and this really makes me mad when people do this.

I would like to stick with UCGO for now then at a later time ill move onto that kind of stuff.

What I believe MJR is saying is to sit down and learn the ins and outs of spacecraft3 and multistage. These are tools you can build with.

How you use them is entirely up to you, we're just the hardware store!

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
What I believe MJR is saying is to sit down and learn the ins and outs of spacecraft3 and multistage. These are tools you can build with.

How you use them is entirely up to you, we're just the hardware store!
Exactly. I wasn't telling you to stop making, or in better terms editing cargos, but to only try SC3 and Multistage2. Of course many people would say it is better to learn concepts from these SDKs, but it is your choice. If you want to be more successful at developing, then yes you would have to switch to other types of development. I don't think there is a high demand for UCGO cargo's. Good luck and take in advice because if you show that you do not care or are too good to listen to us "veterans" than I hope the best for you because you won't get much help anymore. It is kind of like the boy who cried wolf. This is about the 4th year I have been playing Orbiter and been developing for almost 3 years of it.

Some of the people you have been talking to have even been playing and developing probably twice as long as me so open your ears to their wonderful knowledge.

I never tried at the beginning, but I was so glad I took the initiative to start developing because it made me understand the hard work put in to Orbiter. Developing is not easy and takes time. So do what you want.

For example, you can make a cargo, make a 3-stage rocket, and put the cargo as the payload. The most you will do looks like this.

Code:
[MISC]
FOCUS=1
COG=16.5

[TEXTURE_LIST]
TEX_1=Exhaust_atsme
TEX_2=Exhaust2
TEX_3=Contrail2
TEX_4=Contrail4

[PARTICLESTREAM_1]
NAME=Contrail4
SRCSIZE=4.0