General Question Inclination of planets

theshhh

2 year orbiter player
Reaction score
Excuse me, i plan to do some interplanetary missions soon (never done one even though i played for 2 years :facepalm: ) and id like to know all the planets inclination, and what inclination is equal to heading.
:cheers:

theshhh

2 year orbiter player
Reaction score
:dry:
ok, thats sorta a good answer, now, if only i know what heading that was...

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
:dry:
ok, thats sorta a good answer, now, if only i know what heading that was...

Good move, Theshh. Time to get out of low Earth orbit and go explore. The biggest thing for you to work out is the ejection burns and flight paths to allow you to get to the orbit of your target planet when it's actually there waiting for you. You need to use either TransX or IMFD for this. Both addons are superb, and I would highly recommend you install both and read up on both (they come with excellent documentation).

Personally, I prefer TransX, because I like the slightly more hands-on approach needed to adjust the parameters, but IMFD certainly gets the job done too and is very logical and approachable.

Apart from the "Go Play in Space" recommendation above, which is how I started as well, I'd suggest you look at Flytandem's TransX tutorials on YouTube. In particular, examine the TransX Tutorial - Earth to Mars multi-part YouTube sequence and try to mimic every element yourself.

The experience of dropping into Martian orbit for the first time (or Jovian) is worth the hard work to understand the new tools and techniques you need!

Oh - and don't worry about the inclination for now. You need to take it into account, but it's no big deal compared to sorting out the main flighpath and burns!

Tell us how you get on!

theshhh

2 year orbiter player
Reaction score
Good move, Theshh. Time to get out of low Earth orbit and go explore. The biggest thing for you to work out is the ejection burns and flight paths to allow you to get to the orbit of your target planet when it's actually there waiting for you. You need to use either TransX or IMFD for this. Both addons are superb, and I would highly recommend you install both and read up on both (they come with excellent documentation).

Personally, I prefer TransX, because I like the slightly more hands-on approach needed to adjust the parameters, but IMFD certainly gets the job done too and is very logical and approachable.

Apart from the "Go Play in Space" recommendation above, which is how I started as well, I'd suggest you look at Flytandem's TransX tutorials on YouTube. In particular, examine the TransX Tutorial - Earth to Mars multi-part YouTube sequence and try to mimic every element yourself.

The experience of dropping into Martian orbit for the first time (or Jovian) is worth the hard work to understand the new tools and techniques you need!

Oh - and don't worry about the inclination for now. You need to take it into account, but it's no big deal compared to sorting out the main flighpath and burns!

Tell us how you get on!
im learning imfd, got to the moon now, now if only the tutorial didnt have a slight lag bump where i get way ahead :facepalm:

Tommy

Reaction score
I believe I pointed out in another thread that eliminating the "extra" vessels will help with the lag problem - it seems to affect the Earth-Moon flight and the Earth-Mars flight mostly.

A planet's inclination does not directly translate into a heading - there are other factors such as LAN (which changes) etc. The heading will change a bit with each flight.

Both IMFD and TransX have features that will help you determine when to launch, and in what direction.

I suggest this tutorial:
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3403"]Tutorial: Concepts for Interplanetary MFD 4.2.1[/ame]

It's a bit dated (for IMFD 4.2), but it explains the basic concepts, and describes the different types of transfer (ie, off-plane, source plane, target plane, etc) in a clear and easy way. It won't tell you what button to push, but is invaluable for helping you to understand the underlying concepts.

webtek

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I you are using IMFD, I would recommend this: [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4142"]http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4142[/ame]

Always had trouble with the playbacks, but the manual tells you what each button does. I recommend reading this after you understand the concepts, which Tommy mentioned above.

Also, you might want to try out TransX for a bit. If so, flytandem made a series of tutorials: http://flytandem.com/orbiter
/tutorials/video/index.htm
I recommend these greatly. Good luck! :tiphat: