Idea Improved Space Shuttle Virtual Cockpit

DelRioPilot

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was just curious if there is any chance of an improved Space Shuttle Virtual Cockpit, at least when it comes to resolution.

Notably, some of the cockpit text is blurry, while others is clear. If it's not possible to improve the cockpit as a whole, would it at least be possible to improve the resolution?

I'd do this myself, but I'm not exactly clear on how to modify textures in Orbiter.

DelRioPilot

Reaction score
Okay, well look. I don't use Ultra, I use Shuttle Fleet. So forgive me for not knowing what the virtual cockpit in that one looks like.

I understand that Ultra has click-able switches, but are the textures any different? Anyways, it doesn't matter, because Ultra doesn't suit my needs.

I guess I just want to know if modifying the default Shuttle cockpit is even possible.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Okay, well look. I don't use Ultra, I use Shuttle Fleet. So forgive me for not knowing what the virtual cockpit in that one looks like.

You have not said anything at all about Shuttle Fleet. There is more than just one Shuttle add-on.

I understand that Ultra has click-able switches, but are the textures any different? Anyways, it doesn't matter, because Ultra doesn't suit my needs.

Yes, textures are different. The whole 3D Model is different in SSU.

I guess I just want to know if modifying the default Shuttle cockpit is even possible.

Sure it is, but why? Why do you need to read labels for switches, that you will not use? Why read signs on warning lights, that never light?

DelRioPilot

Reaction score
You're right, I should have mentioned the Shuttle type.

But to answer your question, it ultimately comes down to aesthetics. Nonetheless, maybe I can give Ultra a try to see if it's my cup of tea.

I did once make a skin for the DGIV, so I assume it wouldn't be much different to edit textures elsewhere the same way?

DelRioPilot

Reaction score
Well, it seems like the files for the Space Shuttle Ultra don't exist/very difficult to access.

I'll try my hand at DDS editing. Is there any way to edit MIP maps in Photoshop CS3? I can open the DDS in Photoshop, but it only shows a single, low-quality image, but no MIP maps (despite selecting to show them).

I've looked all over the place for help, so if anyone knows how to modify DDS' files efficiently in Photoshop, or can direct me to a free DDS editor, that'd be appreciated.