General Question I Need help with Docking

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
I know this is a Stupid Question coming from some one who has been playing orbiter for a few year's and can fly to the moon but How can I dock 2 space craft ? I know how to get it to the same orbit but I am not sure how to get close enough to dock.

(I think I might of posted this in the wrong place)

Usquanigo

Reaction score
Website
uk.groups.yahoo.com
Well, depends on the particular trouble that you're having docking. For some things there are pills that will do the trick for ya. If that's not the problem, then maybe you just need a make-over and to "play the numbers" a little more.

:p :lol:

....but seriously, as long as you are within at least 200K (possibly even more, really), you can get there.

Here's what you need to do -
  • Select the target vessel's xpdr freq in your com MFD
  • Select the docking MFD and then target a given docking port
  • Click the HUD button on the docking MFD once you have selected the target port
  • Once you do that, you'll see the 'tunnel' of boxes show up in the hud, as well as a + and a circle with a + in it.
Now, the tunnel is essentiall the track you want to ride down. You don't have to go from the very end, but it's not a bad idea either (as long as you have plenty of RCS and LOX). You will note that the boxes have a small bar on one side. That is the "up" side. Make sure that you are oriented so that that bar is passing over your head.

The + symbol is your velocity vector. The circle with the plus is the opposite. So... if you put the plus over the target, you are closing on it. If the circle plus is over the target, you are heading away from it.

What I do is, once I get within the aforementioned 200K or so, and do all the MFD stuff, I'll find the circle plus, point at it and burn to zero my relative velocity. then I'll point at the target, and burn to head more or less straight towards it.

As I approach, the + will drift. I'll either point in an over-correcting fashion and burn to bring it back over, or I'll use translation thrusters and slide it back over. This can take a while, don't be afraid of the time accel, but be careful with it.

Once I get close enough, I'll use translation to orient myself in line with the tunnel, then rotate as needed. Then the docking can actually begin.

The X in your dock MFD is an indication of your rotational orientation, that should be in the center of the rings. the large + in the MFD is the relative location of the target vessel. That too should be in the center of the rings. At this point, don't worry about the + velocity vector in the HUD, as you get close and slow, it may be out of your field of view. It's only an issue as you ease on in those last few meters (which by that point it should be dead ahead).

You'll also see an arrow at the top of the rings, this is your roll vector, that should be at the very top. The amount of difficulties you have on will determine amount of drift.

As you close, you can be coming in around 25m/s or so, but you REALLY need to slow down as you get closer. You should make contact at 1m/s or so (ideally).

Keep rotating to keep the X in the center, and the arrow on the top, and the large green plus in the center (rot for X and arrow and lin for plus), then just slow down and ease it in. As you get close you will see the green rings light up moving in toward the center.

Also, make sure your hatch/nose/etc is open. I've bumped into the ISS a couple times on one docking run because I forgot about that. doh! lol

It's actually pretty easy. :cheers:

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
ok well I can dock what I meant to say was I need help getting close (with in 200KM)

Usquanigo

Reaction score
Website
uk.groups.yahoo.com
ok well I can dock what I meant to say was I need help getting close (with in 200KM)

Oh.... ok.

Well, once you do your align planes burn, fire up sync mfd, and if you are behind your target (chasing it), then use your ApD as your rendezvous point, and lower your PeD so that your orbital period is shorter, and you'll start to close on it. Just wait it out.

If you're ahead of your target, use your PeD as your rendezvous point, and push your ApD out to slow down your orbital period to allow your target to catch you, and then just wait it out.

May take a couple of laps either way, you can track the distance in Sync MFD, and also with the Docking MFD and Docking HUD display data. And once you are close, really doesn't matter if you are high, low, or off to the side slightly, you'll adjust all that as you burn towards it, keeping your velocity vectors lined up. (I've done it every which way, leading it, chasing it, high, low, you name it) The more out of line you are, the more fuel you use, but as long as you have plenty to spare, you'll be ok.

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
ok :) I will try and do it soon :)

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
It sounds like you have a problem with rendezvous, not docking.
Two suggestions.
Turn non-spherical gravity off.
Or better yet, practice rendezvous in Mars orbit.

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
Why in Mars orbit ?

-----Post Added-----

ok now I am in the Same Orbit as the ISS what do I do now
EDIT1: wear do I burn ? I just tried and it made the Distance go up not down

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Why in Mars orbit ?

You need less DeltaV because of the lower orbital speed, and it's easier to see what you're doing.

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
ok well I have nearly done it all I need help with is wear to burn

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
ok now I am in the Same Orbit as the ISS what do I do now
EDIT1: wear do I burn ? I just tried and it made the Distance go up not down

What do you mean by "Same orbit"? You need to get relative inclination as low as possible. Then you need to decide if you want to catch up with your target, or vice versa.

-----Post Added-----

You could post the scenario here. Use 'code' tags.

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
Dock MFD says my distance is 7.011M with a Velocity of 286.1
EDIT1:my altitude is not the same as the ISS the lowest part of my orbit is about 340KM and my RINC is about 0.66

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
ok :) I don't need it detailed I just need to know how to catch up with the ISS I can do it my self when I am close

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
For details about that, take a look at the section starting on page 5-3 in 'Go Play In Space.' :) It details how to use the 'Sync Orbit' MFD to match your ship's orbit to the ISS's orbit.

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What I recommend you do is download Rendezvous MFD. It only works once you're within 700Km of the target though (and in the same plane). To get there, if you're behind the target (what I personally recommend) drop your orbit (but watch the atmosphere!) so you catch up with it. Unless the ISS is 700km above you you'll be able to use Rendezvous for just about everything. I typically find the lowest DV soultion cause I'm typically in realistic craft with lower fuel, but it's not neccessary. I do reocmmend you hit the "set" button (or may be time, not sure right now) and plug in a lower time to intercept. Change pages till you get the target display, center the cross and burn till DV~0. You'll probably have to do a few correction burns until you're close.
Once the display changes to "final approach" null your rel. velocity and dock like normal.

Usquanigo

Reaction score
Website
uk.groups.yahoo.com
ok :) I don't need it detailed I just need to know how to catch up with the ISS I can do it my self when I am close

I like to get my RInc below .2. Actually, I try to press for .00 if I can, or at least as close as possible.

7M... well, you don't say if you are chasing or leading, but this post seems to suggest chasing.

Remember, for chasing, set your highest orbital point to roughly match the ISS's alt at that point (where it crosses where you highest point is/would be). Then give it time, your orbital period will be shorter and you will close on it.

If the opposite, then you need to invert it all. Set your lowest point to match the ISS's alt at that point in the orbit(s), and push your highest point out further to increase your orbital period and it will catch you.

That's the *rough* basics, but it seems like that's what you're looking for.

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
I am on my Final approach now :)

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Rendezvous was almost the last thing I learned as well. Personally, even after I learned how to use it, I found (and still find) Sync MFD to be a royal pain. Nowadays I use TransX to set up rendezvous. (What's the plural of rendezvous? Rendezvouses?)

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
I am now 400 Meters away thanks for all the help this is my first ever Orbital Rendezvous and docking :) but I have one problem. the XR2 Will not be landing I broke the Gear on take off :(
EDIT1: the XR2's has docked :) now to build my space station :)