I just did my First Planned Re-entry and landing

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
Yes!!! finally I did not land in the water I landed at Baikonur Cosmodrome after a ok re-entry (I just over heated once when I tried to change my re-entry Trajectory)

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Congratulations! I remember my first really successful reentry (was still 1km/s fast near KSC, poor crew members had to fight against the 12G while I was braking very fast)

pete.dakota

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Congratulations! The first successful re-entry and landing is one you'll always remember. Were you able to get it on a runway? Or just the ground at Baikonur?

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
The run way at Baikonur. Then after that I flew to Aberpoth in the uk but I stalled and crash landed

EDIT1: Picture of the re-entry

Belisarius

Obsessed with reality. Why?
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Congratulations - collect your Orbiter wings at the door to the debriefing room

Yoda

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Congratulations; always a moment to remember; i still remember my first succesfull landing, my first docking with ISS and my first round-trip to the moon.
(haven't attempted Mars yet)

Cobalt

Reaction score
Great work! I still can't reenter and land at a specific base.

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Launching an XR-1 at 85° pitch with low fuel and letting the engines burning until an Apogee of 150km also makes a funny reentry. And you even can return to your launch site without any use of engines if you reenter "retrograde" (no problem because of low horizontal speed). I recommend that as reentry training. (set hover thrust to "easy" in XR-1 config file).

EDIT: [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3443"]Central Europe Surface Tiles[/ame] (If you want to have a nice view)

Attachments

• XR-1 Suborbital.scn
    3.2 KB · Views: 3

pete.dakota

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
That's not effective re-entry training, astrosammy. That may help for practing approach and landing, but not for how to fly a successful, orbital re-entry. It's a completely different environment to simply dropping down from 150k straight.

Also, what do you mean about entering retrograde? As in engines first? :S

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
No, heat shield first, the engines are pointing up and the nose down, after reaching the upper atmosphere it get's prograde. And you're right, it's only good for practicing approach and landing.

Pilot7893

Epik spaec mishun!
Reaction score
*sigh* an efficiant reentry is all I have left to do before I can pick up my Orbinaught badge

Belisarius

Obsessed with reality. Why?
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm really rusty, or simply just a cruddy pilot, of three simple reentry runs I practised today I burned up in all of them.
Let's see if we can do better next time?

pandadude

Aussie Orbinaut
Reaction score
I find it easiest to do an accurate re-entry using a combination of Sync Base and Aerobrake MFD. Since somebody on here introduced me to those MFD's, I've been doing accurate and successful re-entries every time!

orwellkid

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm really rusty, or simply just a cruddy pilot, of three simple reentry runs I practised today I burned up in all of them.
Let's see if we can do better next time?

If you're using Altea aircraft, you are likely coming in too heavy. Same goes for the DGIV.

If the above is applicable, then try dumping your Main fuel to 30%, Scram to 0% and try again. You will probably have better results.

If you're not already using Aerobrake MFD, I can't recommend it enough. Since I've been using it I've been nailing reentries with over 90% accuracy. I believe BaseSync MFD will also be handy for getting the deorbit point approach down. I don't use it myself, but I'm thinking about starting.

Cheers.

_O.K._

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
For a heavy XR try a PeA of 60km