Request Huge Cargo Ship

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Don't forget what would happen if it happened to enter Earths atmosphere...and didn't "land" properly... :suicide:

The original post didn't specify a mass. But, assuming that it is a rectangular block with dimensions 20 km * 5 km * 1 km, and that it has a density of 100 kg/m^3 (probably on the low side, considering that it needs some structural mass, and also that most cargoes will probably be denser than that), it will have a mass of 10,000,000,000,000 kg. This is equivalent to a 3 km diameter spherical comet, or a 2 km diameter asteroid.

If you had an accident a few seconds before touchdown, at low speed, it would be equivalent to dropping a mountain from whatever height you had your hover-engine failure at.

If you were in the late stages of re-entry, around 3 km/s or so, you'd be dealing with a Richter 7 earthquake at the impact point, and hurricane force winds at a distance of 100 km from the impact point.

If you were had a problem early in reentry and the impact velocity were closer to 8 km/s, you're talking a Richter 8 earthquake, and 400 mph winds 100 km away.

If someone hijacks the ship and rams it into an inhabited planet at 20 km/s (in this case it doesn't even need to be built to land), you get hurricane force winds 400 km away, as well as the heat from the fireball causing second degree burns at that distance and setting trees on fire.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Can anyone build this for me, the ship or the ceramic or metal platform, a big big big square able to accomidate the ship stated in the first post
Why don't you try making it yourself? There are plenty of tutorials around the forums.

In general, people around here are not too responsive to "I want to use this but don't want to take the time to make it myself" requests.

If your landing computer has Windows on it and crashes during reentry, you'd slam into Earth like a huge asteroid and probably cause some major problems for life on Earth :p
Because Windows is the only OS that crashes, right? Please keep that sort of comment to thread which it's intended for. Thanks.

Artymaster

Reaction score
i realize all the problems it would cause if it was real life, but its orbiter with all the problems, what about this ship

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3796"]SSD Executor revisted[/ame]

thats pretty huge and if someone hijacked it and crashed it it would cause what you all said.

But it was still made in orbiter, im not trying to make it really realistic.

Artymaster

Reaction score
thats not a cargo ship with attatchment points for alot of cargo, i dont know how to add any of that or change a mesh to what i want it to look like, also it dosent have a bay or bay doors

joiz

Reaction score
guys, when i said land in water i meant land in the middle of the ocean. that shouldn't be too bad if it sort of glides and uses rockets or parachutes or whatever, maybe a big wave or something but not much more, and some steam too i guess...

Eagle

The Amazing Flying Tuna Can
Reaction score
guys, when i said land in water i meant land in the middle of the ocean. that shouldn't be too bad if it sort of glides and uses rockets or parachutes or whatever, maybe a big wave or something but not much more, and some steam too i guess...
I wouldn't recommend it. Its definitely possible, but you're going to have a lot of specialty parts for launch and land that are only good on Earth.

I see two ways where a 4km (Plate diameter) Orion would make sense. Orion drives tend to become more efficient the bigger they are, the additional distance also reduces radiation in the crew area. But a 20km long vessel might make sense for interplanetary trade because you can put a few days of Earth's goods on board and move efficiently to another population center in the Solar System. The second is as an interplanetary transport. If you're going to another star you might as well take a lot with you.

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
Could you land it? Yes you could.

Could you afford it? Well, the needed infrastructure to land it without destroying the planet it's landing on would take a dollar cost that already has to be written in scientific notation, and multiply that cost by the number of atoms in your body. To sum up, you could land it, but a seperate landing vehicle would be...cheaper.:p

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I think that such a structure would probably disentegrate on reentry and landing, and probably even when sitting on the ground.
Unless it was made of unobtainium.

Artymaster

Reaction score
its like star wars, it does not have to be realistic, but it could still land, republic ships from star wars could not land without killing a planet also, so why cant mine?
It will be for interplanetary trade, as a cargo ship, thats why the request was for a cargo bay, i guess when i have some time ill learn tutorials and how to make the ship.

When i tried to download and use anim8or it did not work does anyone know why?

MattNW

Reaction score
A ship that size wouldn't be just a cargo ship. It would be a city in space. You could also use it for interstellar voyages as a generation ship where people could be born, live and die on the way to a new star system.

I'd think as a cargo ship something that big would be a liability. To justify shipping supplies on a ship that large you would have to carry a year or two supplies for a good size colony or several years for a research outpost. The colony or outpost would then be reliant on the supplies. One mishap and they would starve. Several smaller ships would be better by not putting all your eggs in one basket. A ship has a problem and the colony or station is short for a month or two but the other ships will bring enough to hold them over.

If however you are just into big ships there's a great Battlestar Galactica, A Babylon 5 station and several other ships of similar size. I even experimented once on adding engines and attitude thrusters to the Babylon 5. Nothing showed but you could move it around the solar system.

vettes

Reaction score
holy crap i would like something like that or perhaps a ship half the size with internal and external cargo/docking storage. but would have a multistage (3 part perhaps) to take off regoin in space fly to wherever then split fly to planet or wherever then regoin on grounnd????

Last edited: