How to not pass a class

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
I'm obviously too naive - from the title, I thought this thread was about C++...

The 2-Belo

Capt. Refsmmat
Donator
Reaction score
I get a kick out of reading the comments -- everyone seems to want to live out their fantasies through this teacher. "Gee, if I boink this student in exchange for manipulating her grades, it could spell the end of my careeTHE HECK WITH IT! FREE WIMMENZ!!!1"

Ark

Reaction score
She's got a great future ahead of her.

Yep, a 10ish-year career of climbing the corporate ladder the ol' fashioned way until she's too ugly to do it anymore. :lol:

insanity

Blastronaut
Donator
Reaction score
That's dispicable :sick:! Would a student really go that far for a grade? And what if her parents found out what she did that night if the teacher complied?

To answer your first question, yes, students will go that far for a grade.

To answer your second question, I assume the student is a legal adult and so her parents opinion on her sexuality is more or less irrelevant. Heck, after I turned 16, I thought what and who I did became more-or-less my business (my parents became less about authority and more about guidance).

I have to think that if her parents are going to punish her for a bad grade in college then they haven't done a good enough job teaching her to be a self-sufficient human being and thus not a worthwhile investment to begin with. Sometimes it is important to fail and to use that to motivate yourself to succeed for yourself.

If they had raised her to use her brain and not her body then she may have avoided this situation all together.

Oh, and the TA did the right thing. I would've been much more harsh as I have no patience for this, but he played it really professional.

willy88

Tinkerer
Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
If they had raised her to use her brain and not her body then she may have avoided this situation all together.

Unfortunately, it seems that that's the norm with many people (not just females) these days.

The 2-Belo

Capt. Refsmmat
Donator
Reaction score
This particular incident went down before the "David Letterman was Boinking his Staff" thing came to light, but I'm sure that TA had full-color high-resolution visions of how he would have been treated had he gone through with it, even granted the fact that the student was a legal adult. Because as we're all painfully aware, inappropriate situations between man and woman are, more often than not, blamed on the man.

The oft-voiced "double standard" goes both ways, you know.

Letterman caught a lot of heat for what he revealed, with many outside female observers calling it "coercion" and "predation" when there was no evidence of it. They forget that those women -- and the student in this rofl-tastic example above -- are all grownups with the ability to make their own decisions and take responsibility for their own actions. I've heard about this "innocent victim of creepy bosses/authority figures" horsepuckey way too often. It becomes a wall behind which someone can hide when she doesn't want to own up to her own weaknesses, because she knows that no one would ever disbelieve her.*

*No, this has not happened to me. Shut up. I just get worked up thinking about it.

insanity

Blastronaut
Donator
Reaction score
This particular incident went down before the "David Letterman was Boinking his Staff" thing came to light, but I'm sure that TA had full-color high-resolution visions of how he would have been treated had he gone through with it, even granted the fact that the student was a legal adult. Because as we're all painfully aware, inappropriate situations between man and woman are, more often than not, blamed on the man.

The oft-voiced "double standard" goes both ways, you know.

Letterman caught a lot of heat for what he revealed, with many outside female observers calling it "coercion" and "predation" when there was no evidence of it. They forget that those women -- and the student in this rofl-tastic example above -- are all grownups with the ability to make their own decisions and take responsibility for their own actions. I've heard about this "innocent victim of creepy bosses/authority figures" horsepuckey way too often. It becomes a wall behind which someone can hide when she doesn't want to own up to her own weaknesses, because she knows that no one would ever disbelieve her.*

The Letterman thing was so stupid, the only people who should care are Letterman, his wife, and the women involved. There is a difference between abusing your authority for sexual gain and being a horny-old-man whose job and wealth naturally seem to attract women. I don't know if I'd go as far enough to say that women don't have legitimate reasons to feel victimized, because they do. But I do agree that gender and social roles are often used to disparage both men and women.

The 2-Belo

Capt. Refsmmat
Donator
Reaction score
I don't know if I'd go as far enough to say that women don't have legitimate reasons to feel victimized, because they do. But I do agree that gender and social roles are often used to disparage both men and women.

I wouldn't go so far either. But I sort of rail against the seemingly pervasive idea that if a powerful old cruster hooks up with someone in his office, it can only be because he's nudging her into something she doesn't want to do, or she's trying to advance her career.

That's bull. I'm pretty sure Monica Lewinsky knew precisely what she was doing. It was a mutual ego-booster: Bill gets some young stuff, and Monica gets to be like, totally intimate with the most powerful man on Earth! I'm sure the Letterman thing was the same way.

Ergo, the TA up there read it perfectly, and did the right thing. But if he had taken the bait, it wouldn't have been solely his fault.

I'll shut up now and get back to realigning my guidance platform because my P52 shows I'm waaaay off. Any worse than this and I'm going to hit gimbal lock... :lol:

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
In this particular case, since the TA is in a position of authority, it is his responsibility to maintain the professional atmosphere, at the risk of losing his job (and possibly degree). It would be the same case with a female TA and a male student -- the granting of higher grades in exchange for sexual favors is frowned upon (intentional understatement). If discovered, the TA would lose the job and possibly be expelled, and the student may end up with a worse grade anyway.