General Question How can I publish my addon?

Luis J

Reaction score
Hi.

Can I make a ship appear in the scene menu?
Most Addons only appear in their own scenarios.
From other scenarios I can not load them in the menu.

Can you put a landing pad on the terrace of a building?
When landing, it always sinks into the building to the ground.

I have created an Air Base and I want to publish it, but I do not know how to do it
You can help me.

Thank you for answering me

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi.

Most Addons only appear in their own scenarios.

I have created an Air Base and I want to publish it, but I do not know how to do it
You can help me.

Thank you for answering me

They should show up. But I don't think sc3 or sc4 show up though. Publish in Orbithangar:http://orbithangar.com/

When landing, it always sinks into the building to the ground.

Are we talking 2010 or 2016? The answer I think is the same. There are tricks but like adding an attachment point. Maybe in 2016 a docking point?

Last edited:

asbjos

tuanibrO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If you have made a vessel, you will have to make a scenario (.scn) for it if you want to load Orbiter straight into the scenario. Just find a suitable scenario file, copy it, edit the path of the vessel configuration file in scenario ([vessel name]:[config file location in Config folder]), and save your changes. If you now launch your scenario, you should see your new spaceship replace the position of the vessel you edited out.

From other scenarios I can not load them in the menu.
Yeah, a scenario file defines what spaceships will be in the scenario when you start Orbiter. If you go to Modules in the Orbiter Launchpad and activate Scenario Editor, you can press Ctrl+F4, open the scenario editor, and add the your vessel to an already running simulation (with some restrictions, when it comes to really complex addons).

No, buildings in Orbiter are visual only, and do not abide to the laws of physics, as you neither can land on or crash into them. They are only for the eye candy. If you edit the touchdown points of a vessel, you can make i appear that your vessel is resting on a building, but you have actually just defined that the vessel's resting position is x meters above the Earth's surface, a height which you then have made equivalent to the height of the building. This is why it seems like that the Space Shuttle is standing on the launchpad when you run such a scenario, but if you move the location of the Shuttle in the Scenario Editor, you will see that the Shuttle is actually just "hoovering" over the ground at the same height as the LC39 launchpad.

Copy the files you have created into Orbiter file structure folders (e.g. into folders like "Config", "Textures", etc. Just download any addon and see how previous people have done it). Then make a zip (highlight folders in Windows Explorer, right click and press "Send to compressed (zipped) folder". Give the resulting .zip file a descriptive name, log onto / create a user on Orbit Hangar, upload the .zip file wait for it to be approved (can take some days), and hope that somebody tries out and enjoys your hard work!

Luis J

Reaction score
thanks for helping

If you go to Modules in the Orbiter Launchpad and activate Scenario Editor, you can press Ctrl+F4, open the scenario editor, and add the your vessel to an already running simulation

Within any scenario, I can press F4 and edit that scenario. Then I can see the "acting" ships in this scenario.
If I now want to add some other ship that I have installed, I pulse "New .." and I see a list with other ships, but they do not appear all. I have ships installed that do not appear on that list.
Can you make those other ships also appear on the list?

-----------------

If you edit the touchdown points of a vessel, you can make i appear that your vessel is resting on a building, but you have actually just defined that the vessel's resting position is x meters above the Earth's surface, a height which you then have made equivalent to the height of the building.

That had not occurred to me.
What I did try was to put a "pad" landing on the terrace of the building, but it did not work. The ship sinks through the pad into the building.
What you say is that I can have the ship land in the air, on a "defined" height, using "landing point"?
I'll try to find out how the landing points are set up, and I'll find a way to do what you're saying.

-----------------------------------

log onto / create a user on Orbit Hangar, upload the .zip file wait for it to be approved (can take some days), and hope that somebody tries out and enjoys your hard work!

Thank you for telling me how to publish my add-on. Now I have. They say that tomorrow it will be published. Thank you very much. :cheers:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Another method of "landing" on a building...

If the building is declared as a vessel (not hard to do, it can be done with a config file, or make it SC3/4) you can make an attachment point on the landing pad. The flight vessel, be it a DG or whatever also needs to have an attachment point assigned. As the vessel approcahes the pad and hovers right above it, use the keyboard to attach the vehicles and it will 'snap' into place on the pad.

To launch, actuate the 'altitude hold' autopilot and detach.

I think Marsbase Alpha is an example of this method. It's been a long time since I've used it, but I've borrowed some of the idea from that addon when I made my own habitat/bunker (not released, it's still a work in progress). If I can dig it out of my hard drive I'll take a look at it again.

You can just use the landing points on a vessel to make it appear to land on a building, but if you try to land on a runway it'll look goofy.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Exactly. The Moonbase Alpha and Oblivion base uses attachment points.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
They say that tomorrow it will be published.

I don't remember saying that, but, I must have done, because I just published it. :thumbup:

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns