Gaming Hielor's Minecraft Server

Gerdih

Reaction score
I would like to name marhes I have found EE from Rosewood island as Rock Marshes characterized for his soil rich in clay and rock.:p

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
I dont know? is orbiteria new or old? is there a newer city somewhere? I cant find the birch trees in the farm, or what I'm assuming is the farm, I did find some floating treetops, so I'm thinking it probably is the farm. are there any land marks near the farm? I was north west of industrial district, but it kinda just looked like a forest biome

Eccentrus

Geekernaut
Reaction score
well, there are two worlds, so there're two towns :D, but if you're referring to the newer map, with the industrial area and stuff (and that magnificent tower in the city ;p), then you're in the new world ;)

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
We should really get the tree farm marked on the dynmap...

Chub777

Reaction score
(Kudos to this video for the idea:)

I noticed that our city doesn't have a clock/bell tower type building. After some internet surfing, I found out that you could use the decay of items as a timing mechanism. After a few minutes of tinkering I managed to replicate a similar prototype to the one in the video:

2012-05-30_205213.png

Those powered rails are powered by redstone torches; I found out that if you use the detector rails it will "depower" and leave the cart stuck there (if traveling slowly).

2012-05-30_205235.png

(Close up of the cart launching mechanism)

2012-05-30_205247.png

(View of the dispenser and the pressure plate)

2012-05-30_205252.png

(View of the inverter)

This is how the system works: A item (say cobble) is shot onto the pressure plate when the cart runs over the detector rail. An inverter changes this to make an "off" signal. When the cobble despawns (usually 5 minutes) the inverter inverts the signal and turns the powered rails on. This makes the cart run and power the noteblocks (tuned to a chime). When the cart runs over the detector connected to the dispenser, the whole cycle repeats.

Now you may be thinking - What if the chunks are unloaded and the item doesn't despawn? Well, that is the only drawback of this design. :( Redstone also stops working at a distance.

Anyway, critique, discuss and debate. :)

Gerdih

Reaction score
I have found before the problems of redstone timing with the factory project. I dont know if them can be solved but I dont think so. The clock would be to be reset every time someone connects to the server if there isn't anyone and constantly controled to give the right hour.

Gerdih

Reaction score
The clock in the factory its not the definitive design, reasons for doing it with delayers:
Easy way to calculate the time pulses, you dont waste any iron (redstone is more common)
easy mechanism to reset the clock.
Also if I want to start the clock the cart must be in a gold rail, the clock also starts if someone activates the security system so if the minecart is no in a gold rail this wont work. The solution is doing all the rail with gold instead of iron. Both systems have advantages and disadvantages but as I have said the clock in the factory is not the definitive design.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I get using a clock as part of a larger mechanism that does something...

But a clock that just makes a note chime every now and then? What's the point? Seems like a lot of work for something you'd only be able to hear in a very small area...

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If you want any sort of automatic time keeping, build a day/night detector. It makes use of the block update bug to detect when a grass block decays or grows. I use it in my world to turn the street lights on and off.

You can use the day/night sensor to reset the redstone clock.

Pablo49

Reaction score
If you want any sort of automatic time keeping, build a day/night detector. It makes use of the block update bug to detect when a grass block decays or grows. I use it in my world to turn the street lights on and off.

You can use the day/night sensor to reset the redstone clock.

If some testificates can get shipped over (I have one at my place we can use to mate with, but I want him back. :) ) he can make a testificate powered day/night detector too, which doesn't rely on a bug. A clock that makes a noise every so often is kinda pointless and if you are close enough to hear it, probably annoying. Maybe a watch tower that lights up at night or something?

Edit: oh, probably should have watched evil_onyx's video before posting. :lol:

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Woo, I have your logs for you in that chest. :)

theshhh

2 year orbiter player
Reaction score
I might take a look around, once i get (if i do, maybe not) minecraft back. since upgrading from vista to win7, i have not re-installed minecraft. guess i just got bored of it. (minecraft username: sss) (kerbalspaceprogram username: theshhh)
EDIT: epic street light!

Last edited:

Chub777

Reaction score
I get using a clock as part of a larger mechanism that does something...

But a clock that just makes a note chime every now and then? What's the point? Seems like a lot of work for something you'd only be able to hear in a very small area...

I just thought it could be something to make the town have a more "town-y" atmosphere. It's entirely pointless (besides for aesthetics, I guess).

Maybe a watch tower that lights up at night or something?

That's possible, especially with the new redstone lamps.

EDIT: Just wondering, is the sheep farm east of the commune now open to the public?

Last edited:

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
General reminder that I will be clearing out the Project chests in 24 hours.

So if you have an active project, collect your items now and replace the sign in a few days.

If you can't, please let me know ASAP.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
General reminder that I will be clearing out the Project chests in 24 hours.

So if you have an active project, collect your items now and replace the sign in a few days.

If you can't, please let me know ASAP.
Thanks for the notice. Ah, why are the project chests being cleared?

---------- Post added at 02:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 PM ----------

A megalith expansion to Anton von Leeuwenhoek building nearing completion. Its architect and builder Eccentrus is barely visible posing at the top:

2012-05-31_14.32.13.png

Zoomed in for a better view of him:

2012-05-31_14.32.06.png

Eccentrus

Geekernaut
Reaction score
it is now quite finished, just some touch up in the exterior and furnishing and it will be done, ETA will be tomorrow, btw, the topping off is already done, the roof is only half-done in that picture, you can now climb up all the way to the roof and have a splendid view. btw a total of 4 apartments and 6 penthouses are up for sale now :D

HAZARD WARNING: Many parts of the Leeuwenhoek-2 is still unfinished and may cause death by falling, any items lost in this process will not be reimbursed by the management.

---------- Post added at 01:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:30 AM ----------

btw the building was done in just 2 days, a personal record I believe, but then again the speed is affected by the fact that I just use two materials, although the oak tree can be such a pain now and then :(