Search Hey All..need a refresher

chevelle505

Reaction score
Hey guys, its been a little over 9 years since I had orbiter on my computer...just recently getting back into it and wondered if someone would be kind enough to give me a quick update on a few things and where I may get them if they're still around.

Orbiter for me in a nutshell was all Apollo and Space Shuttle lol...so question is, what are the latest add ons as far as getting me set up with the latest and greatest Apollo Saturn V and Space shuttle and where can I find them? I used to have all of this but life has been crazy the last few years and recently got my new computer up and running and am trying to get back in the saddle again. I assume theres good apollo add ons to get me to the moon and back? I just downloaded the latest version (2016 i assume) and am also looking to get all and anything to do with space shuttle add ons as well...so whats the status of these two "programs" in orbiter these days? thanks again for any help...much appreciated!:thumbup::cheers:

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
Welcome back!

For the space shuttle, you can go with SSU and Space Shuttle Fleet. Both are for Orbiter 2010, although I believe the SSU are working on getting is over to 2016. Personally, I recommend SSU!

As for Apollo, AMSO is your best bet. Also 2010 only, but you can perform full flights from launch to landing. The NASSP guys are doing great work as well, so be sure to check it out as well!

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The latest official release of SSU is for Orbiter 2010, but the new source code is already running in Orbiter 2016. We just did not yet release a 5.0 version yet, there is also some bit of quality assurance needed first.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
The latest official release of SSU is for Orbiter 2010, but the new source code is already running in Orbiter 2016. We just did not yet release a 5.0 version yet, there is also some bit of quality assurance needed first.

The code is running, but SSU still isn't "fully compatible" with Orbiter 2016 as the vehicle still doesn't know where the runway is vertically.... :shrug:
... but hopefully that will change soon.

chevelle505

Reaction score
awsome thank you so much...good to be back! Wanted to double check two things..I downloaded the hi res textures, do I just copy/paste these into the main texture folder and replace? also as for the Apollo AMSO, I cannot seem to find the manual in english, it mentions an english version but no link...the link there is in french..any ideas? thanks again guys.

Marijn

Reaction score
My advice is to start exploring Orbiter 2016 with the XR vessels (http://www.alteaaerospace.com/index-3.html). They offer you many opportunities to practice all the basics and you can enjoy the new 3D terrain of earth, the moon and Mars while you do. Flying easy vessels like the XR's allow you to focus on the various MFD's and Orbiter's features in general. Orbiter 2016 is still catching up with add-ons as indicated above.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The code is running, but SSU still isn't "fully compatible" with Orbiter 2016 as the vehicle still doesn't know where the runway is vertically.... :shrug:
... but hopefully that will change soon.

Also, the RMS is broken.

barrygolden

Reaction score
gattis is working on updating Atlantis and the other shuttles. Really close to a release. gazza said he's working on updates for STS Payloads but thats not out yet.

chevelle505

Reaction score
ok guys, got the shuttle installed (SSU) and followed Directions to the letter, its installed and I see the complex launch pad ect but missing launch complex textures and no external tank at all 0n the shuttle...what am I missing? no other addons installed except orbiter sound and the KSC Hi Res Textures (all required per install read me.

chevelle505

Reaction score
ok so I tried to install in Orbiter 2016..Apparently I need Orbiter 2010 (i know i know...its been a long day haha). Where Can I get Orbiter 2010? All Im wanting to do really is shuttle and Apollo missions..if I cant use SSU in 2016 and I can get 2010 then that about scraps it

chevelle505

Reaction score
Thank you!! Ill see if i can get it working tonight. I cant remember for the life of me what setup i had years ago but i had it all working at one time lol

---------- Post added at 07:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 PM ----------

Btw...on the main site (orbiter 2016) there are hi res textures for earth and moon...will these work in 2010 or is there a different set i need to download for earth and the moon?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

Btw...on the main site (orbiter 2016) there are hi res textures for earth and moon...will these work in 2010 or is there a different set i need to download for earth and the moon?

The format for the planetary textures changed between the versions, so no.

chevelle505

Reaction score
Ok guys two questions now.first one im really curious about...from what i understand SSU wasnt made obviously for orbiter 2016.....then i found this post which seems to pertain more to having a current version but its SSU in orbiter 2016?? https://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=30336

My question...can in fact SSU work in orbiter 2016? Id rather do that all together.

Second..ive read the manual (only one that apparently comes with SSU) and have googled my rear end off as well but is there any documentation or tutorial out there on SSU that gets specific? The one that comes with it is decent i guess but doesnt tell you a thing about how to actually perform re entry and actually program that into the computers. How do i cycle through ALL the screens on crt and mfd...i can change through some on them usi g the lks keys on the screens themselves but cant access all of the ones shown in the manual..is the keypad on the center pedestal used for changing screens as well or just functions? I ended up figuring out how to control the rcs thrusters just by spending 45 mintues scanning the cockpit for the appropriate switch as the manual mentions it but leaves you in the dark on where the darn thing is. The manual with ssu is a good start but doesnt tell you anything about how exaclty to perform OMS burns and retrograde programming for re entry. I even searched you tube only to find 1 video of ssu performing a re entry and the guy doesnt say a word..just leaves you pausing and going back to see what he clicked with his mouse. How in the world do i perform these procedures guys? Id love to learn what everthing does in the SSU but it seems its up to you to take what knowledge you have of orbiter in general and just start clicking this to see what happens...no detailed documentation on this??

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
My question...can in fact SSU work in orbiter 2016? Id rather do that all together.

Only if you compile the sources from SVN it yourself right now. Because of a number of bugs and incompatibilities, the SSU team did not yet make a 2016 package.

chevelle505

Reaction score
Ok tried that according to the instructions and I end up with ....

Code:
1>------ Build started: Project: libUltra, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
2>------ Build started: Project: Atlantis_Chute, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
3>------ Build started: Project: Atlantis_MLP, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
4>------ Build started: Project: Atlantis_SRB, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
1>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\VC\VCTargets\Platforms\Win32\PlatformToolsets\v141\Toolset.targets(34,5): error MSB8036: The Windows SDK version 10.0.15063.0 was not found. Install the required version of Windows SDK or change the SDK version in the project property pages or by right-clicking the solution and selecting "Retarget solution".
1>Done building project "libUltra_2017.vcxproj" -- FAILED.
5>------ Build started: Project: Atlantis, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
2>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\VC\VCTargets\Platforms\Win32\PlatformToolsets\v141\Toolset.targets(34,5): error MSB8036: The Windows SDK version 10.0.15063.0 was not found. Install the required version of Windows SDK or change the SDK version in the project property pages or by right-clicking the solution and selecting "Retarget solution".
2>Done building project "Atlantis_Chute_2017.vcxproj" -- FAILED.
6>------ Build started: Project: Atlantis_Tank, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
3>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\VC\VCTargets\Platforms\Win32\PlatformToolsets\v141\Toolset.targets(34,5): error MSB8036: The Windows SDK version 10.0.15063.0 was not found. Install the required version of Windows SDK or change the SDK version in the project property pages or by right-clicking the solution and selecting "Retarget solution".
3>Done building project "Atlantis_MLP_2017.vcxproj" -- FAILED.
7>------ Build started: Project: Crawler, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
5>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\VC\VCTargets\Platforms\Win32\PlatformToolsets\v141\Toolset.targets(34,5): error MSB8036: The Windows SDK version 10.0.15063.0 was not found. Install the required version of Windows SDK or change the SDK version in the project property pages or by right-clicking the solution and selecting "Retarget solution".
5>Done building project "Atlantis_2017.vcxproj" -- FAILED.
8>------ Build started: Project: SSU_LCC, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
8>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\VC\VCTargets\Platforms\Win32\PlatformToolsets\v141\Toolset.targets(34,5): error MSB8036: The Windows SDK version 10.0.15063.0 was not found. Install the required version of Windows SDK or change the SDK version in the project property pages or by right-clicking the solution and selecting "Retarget solution".
8>Done building project "SSU_LCC_2017.vcxproj" -- FAILED.
9>------ Build started: Project: SSU_Pad, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
6>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\VC\VCTargets\Platforms\Win32\PlatformToolsets\v141\Toolset.targets(34,5): error MSB8036: The Windows SDK version 10.0.15063.0 was not found. Install the required version of Windows SDK or change the SDK version in the project property pages or by right-clicking the solution and selecting "Retarget solution".
6>Done building project "Atlantis_Tank_2017.vcxproj" -- FAILED.
10>------ Build started: Project: Xenon_Lights, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
7>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\VC\VCTargets\Platforms\Win32\PlatformToolsets\v141\Toolset.targets(34,5): error MSB8036: The Windows SDK version 10.0.15063.0 was not found. Install the required version of Windows SDK or change the SDK version in the project property pages or by right-clicking the solution and selecting "Retarget solution".
7>Done building project "Crawler_2017.vcxproj" -- FAILED.
11>------ Build started: Project: SSU_Centaur, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
12>------ Build started: Project: SSU_IUS, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
4>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\VC\VCTargets\Platforms\Win32\PlatformToolsets\v141\Toolset.targets(34,5): error MSB8036: The Windows SDK version 10.0.15063.0 was not found. Install the required version of Windows SDK or change the SDK version in the project property pages or by right-clicking the solution and selecting "Retarget solution".
4>Done building project "Atlantis_SRB_2017.vcxproj" -- FAILED.
13>------ Build started: Project: SSU_SLC6, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
10>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\VC\VCTargets\Platforms\Win32\PlatformToolsets\v141\Toolset.targets(34,5): error MSB8036: The Windows SDK version 10.0.15063.0 was not found. Install the required version of Windows SDK or change the SDK version in the project property pages or by right-clicking the solution and selecting "Retarget solution".
10>Done building project "Xenon_Lights_2017.vcxproj" -- FAILED.
14>------ Build started: Project: ssumeshc, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
11>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\VC\VCTargets\Platforms\Win32\PlatformToolsets\v141\Toolset.targets(34,5): error MSB8036: The Windows SDK version 10.0.15063.0 was not found. Install the required version of Windows SDK or change the SDK version in the project property pages or by right-clicking the solution and selecting "Retarget solution".
11>Done building project "SSU_Centaur_2017.vcxproj" -- FAILED.
15>------ Build started: Project: VAB, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
12>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\VC\VCTargets\Platforms\Win32\PlatformToolsets\v141\Toolset.targets(34,5): error MSB8036: The Windows SDK version 10.0.15063.0 was not found. Install the required version of Windows SDK or change the SDK version in the project property pages or by right-clicking the solution and selecting "Retarget solution".
12>Done building project "SSU_IUS_2017.vcxproj" -- FAILED.
16>------ Skipped Build: Project: libUltraTests, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
16>Project not selected to build for this solution configuration 
14>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\VC\VCTargets\Platforms\Win32\PlatformToolsets\v141\Toolset.targets(34,5): error MSB8036: The Windows SDK version 10.0.15063.0 was not found. Install the required version of Windows SDK or change the SDK version in the project property pages or by right-clicking the solution and selecting "Retarget solution".
14>Done building project "ssumeshc_2017.vcxproj" -- FAILED.
15>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\VC\VCTargets\Platforms\Win32\PlatformToolsets\v141\Toolset.targets(34,5): error MSB8036: The Windows SDK version 10.0.15063.0 was not found. Install the required version of Windows SDK or change the SDK version in the project property pages or by right-clicking the solution and selecting "Retarget solution".
15>Done building project "VAB_2017.vcxproj" -- FAILED.
13>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\VC\VCTargets\Platforms\Win32\PlatformToolsets\v141\Toolset.targets(34,5): error MSB8036: The Windows SDK version 10.0.15063.0 was not found. Install the required version of Windows SDK or change the SDK version in the project property pages or by right-clicking the solution and selecting "Retarget solution".
13>Done building project "SSU_SLC6_2017.vcxproj" -- FAILED.
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 15 failed, 0 up-to-date, 1 skipped ==========

Followed everything to a T!! Any Ideas or am I stuck with 2010?

Last edited by a moderator:

chevelle505

Reaction score
Thanks IronRain...alot easier to distinguish lol..ill be sure to do that next time

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Ok tried that according to the instructions and I end up with ....

Code:
1>------ Build started: Project: libUltra, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
2>------ Build started: Project: Atlantis_Chute, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
3>------ Build started: Project: Atlantis_MLP, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
4>------ Build started: Project: Atlantis_SRB, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
1>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\VC\VCTargets\Platforms\Win32\PlatformToolsets\v141\Toolset.targets(34,5): error MSB8036: The Windows SDK version 10.0.15063.0 was not found. Install the required version of Windows SDK or change the SDK version in the project property pages or by right-clicking the solution and selecting "Retarget solution".
1>Done building project "libUltra_2017.vcxproj" -- FAILED.
5>------ Build started: Project: Atlantis, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
2>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\VC\VCTargets\Platforms\Win32\PlatformToolsets\v141\Toolset.targets(34,5): error MSB8036: The Windows SDK version 10.0.15063.0 was not found. Install the required version of Windows SDK or change the SDK version in the project property pages or by right-clicking the solution and selecting "Retarget solution".
2>Done building project "Atlantis_Chute_2017.vcxproj" -- FAILED.
6>------ Build started: Project: Atlantis_Tank, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
3>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\VC\VCTargets\Platforms\Win32\PlatformToolsets\v141\Toolset.targets(34,5): error MSB8036: The Windows SDK version 10.0.15063.0 was not found. Install the required version of Windows SDK or change the SDK version in the project property pages or by right-clicking the solution and selecting "Retarget solution".
3>Done building project "Atlantis_MLP_2017.vcxproj" -- FAILED.
7>------ Build started: Project: Crawler, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
5>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\VC\VCTargets\Platforms\Win32\PlatformToolsets\v141\Toolset.targets(34,5): error MSB8036: The Windows SDK version 10.0.15063.0 was not found. Install the required version of Windows SDK or change the SDK version in the project property pages or by right-clicking the solution and selecting "Retarget solution".
5>Done building project "Atlantis_2017.vcxproj" -- FAILED.
8>------ Build started: Project: SSU_LCC, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
8>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\VC\VCTargets\Platforms\Win32\PlatformToolsets\v141\Toolset.targets(34,5): error MSB8036: The Windows SDK version 10.0.15063.0 was not found. Install the required version of Windows SDK or change the SDK version in the project property pages or by right-clicking the solution and selecting "Retarget solution".
8>Done building project "SSU_LCC_2017.vcxproj" -- FAILED.
9>------ Build started: Project: SSU_Pad, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
6>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\VC\VCTargets\Platforms\Win32\PlatformToolsets\v141\Toolset.targets(34,5): error MSB8036: The Windows SDK version 10.0.15063.0 was not found. Install the required version of Windows SDK or change the SDK version in the project property pages or by right-clicking the solution and selecting "Retarget solution".
6>Done building project "Atlantis_Tank_2017.vcxproj" -- FAILED.
10>------ Build started: Project: Xenon_Lights, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
7>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\VC\VCTargets\Platforms\Win32\PlatformToolsets\v141\Toolset.targets(34,5): error MSB8036: The Windows SDK version 10.0.15063.0 was not found. Install the required version of Windows SDK or change the SDK version in the project property pages or by right-clicking the solution and selecting "Retarget solution".
7>Done building project "Crawler_2017.vcxproj" -- FAILED.
11>------ Build started: Project: SSU_Centaur, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
12>------ Build started: Project: SSU_IUS, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
4>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\VC\VCTargets\Platforms\Win32\PlatformToolsets\v141\Toolset.targets(34,5): error MSB8036: The Windows SDK version 10.0.15063.0 was not found. Install the required version of Windows SDK or change the SDK version in the project property pages or by right-clicking the solution and selecting "Retarget solution".
4>Done building project "Atlantis_SRB_2017.vcxproj" -- FAILED.
13>------ Build started: Project: SSU_SLC6, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
10>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\VC\VCTargets\Platforms\Win32\PlatformToolsets\v141\Toolset.targets(34,5): error MSB8036: The Windows SDK version 10.0.15063.0 was not found. Install the required version of Windows SDK or change the SDK version in the project property pages or by right-clicking the solution and selecting "Retarget solution".
10>Done building project "Xenon_Lights_2017.vcxproj" -- FAILED.
14>------ Build started: Project: ssumeshc, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
11>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\VC\VCTargets\Platforms\Win32\PlatformToolsets\v141\Toolset.targets(34,5): error MSB8036: The Windows SDK version 10.0.15063.0 was not found. Install the required version of Windows SDK or change the SDK version in the project property pages or by right-clicking the solution and selecting "Retarget solution".
11>Done building project "SSU_Centaur_2017.vcxproj" -- FAILED.
15>------ Build started: Project: VAB, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
12>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\VC\VCTargets\Platforms\Win32\PlatformToolsets\v141\Toolset.targets(34,5): error MSB8036: The Windows SDK version 10.0.15063.0 was not found. Install the required version of Windows SDK or change the SDK version in the project property pages or by right-clicking the solution and selecting "Retarget solution".
12>Done building project "SSU_IUS_2017.vcxproj" -- FAILED.
16>------ Skipped Build: Project: libUltraTests, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
16>Project not selected to build for this solution configuration 
14>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\VC\VCTargets\Platforms\Win32\PlatformToolsets\v141\Toolset.targets(34,5): error MSB8036: The Windows SDK version 10.0.15063.0 was not found. Install the required version of Windows SDK or change the SDK version in the project property pages or by right-clicking the solution and selecting "Retarget solution".
14>Done building project "ssumeshc_2017.vcxproj" -- FAILED.
15>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\VC\VCTargets\Platforms\Win32\PlatformToolsets\v141\Toolset.targets(34,5): error MSB8036: The Windows SDK version 10.0.15063.0 was not found. Install the required version of Windows SDK or change the SDK version in the project property pages or by right-clicking the solution and selecting "Retarget solution".
15>Done building project "VAB_2017.vcxproj" -- FAILED.
13>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\VC\VCTargets\Platforms\Win32\PlatformToolsets\v141\Toolset.targets(34,5): error MSB8036: The Windows SDK version 10.0.15063.0 was not found. Install the required version of Windows SDK or change the SDK version in the project property pages or by right-clicking the solution and selecting "Retarget solution".
13>Done building project "SSU_SLC6_2017.vcxproj" -- FAILED.
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 15 failed, 0 up-to-date, 1 skipped ==========

Followed everything to a T!! Any Ideas or am I stuck with 2010?

When installing VS2017 you need to make sure you select "Windows SDK version 10.0.15063.0" in the options. If you re-run the installer you can select the correct version.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
How in the world do i perform these procedures guys? Id love to learn what everthing does in the SSU but it seems its up to you to take what knowledge you have of orbiter in general and just start clicking this to see what happens...no detailed documentation on this??
There is, it's called reading the actual historic documentation of the shuttle. The best start is the the Shuttle Crew Operations Manual (SCOM) available for download here: https://www.nasa.gov/centers/johnson/pdf/390651main_shuttle_crew_operations_manual.pdf

Actual historic checklists (in NASA Shuttle parlance, Flight Data File, FDF) are available here: https://www.nasa.gov/centers/johnson/news/flightdatafiles/index.html

I would also recommend reading through the available workbooks, which are available at the same link.

The objective of SSU is to be as close to the real shuttle hardware as possible.