Problem Help with Scenario Editor Error

thammond

Reaction score
I am looking for help with a scenario editor error I am getting. This is the first time I have tried using the scenario editor and I got the following error.

q5NTjgAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

For background, I started the First in Space add on Sputnik 2 scenario with the time paused. I then opened up the scenario editor and added the Sputnik 1 spacecraft from First in Space add on with the following parameters in earth equatorial reference frame and current epoch. I did not check either the camera or the focus boxes.

SMa=6941 km
Ecc=.0540
Inc=64.75 deg
LAN=247.87 deg
LPe=296.03 deg
eps=145.25 deg

I clicked apply and then closed the scenario editor windows. When I try to select the Sputnik 1 spacecraft via Ctrl F3, I get the error window I posted above.

Can anyone help with what is causing the error?

Thanks,

Tim

PS not sure if the image of the error will show or not? If not here is some of the detail in the error window:

Microsoft Assertion c++ debug Library
Debug Assertion Failed
Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\vc\include\vector
Line 779
Expression Vector Subscript out of Range

---------- Post added at 10:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 PM ----------

Update from some troubleshooting I have been doing. I now think it is somehow related to the First in Space Sputnik 1 vessel. I tried adding the stock DG with all the same parameters and everything worked fine. I then deleted the DG and added the Sputnik 1 and got the same error message.

Last edited:

Nikogori

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
orbinautjp.github.io
Copy and paste these lines into your scenario file.
Tutorial 4 - Create your own scenario

Code:
Sputnik1:FiS\Sputnik1
  UPDATERS M_TIMER_P1S, M_GROUND_WATCH, SP1_SND, 
  TIMERS_P1S M_PLN_ENTER_EXIT, M_ATM_ENTER_EXIT, 
  STATUS Orbiting Earth
  RPOS 3818032.20 4287602.90 3221605.73
  RVEL -6013.495 1696.227 4971.630
  AROT 22.23 15.56 81.40
  VROT 1.03 -0.25 0.41
  AFCMODE 7
  PRPLEVEL 0:1.000000
  NAVFREQ 0 0
  PLAY_SOUND 
END

thammond

Reaction score
Nikogori,

Thanks for the help. I never thought about adding it to the scenario file, I will give it a try.

Looking through the documentation (namely OrbiterConfig.pdf), I followed some of what you did, but not all of it. Can you walk me through (or direct me to the documentation for it) the following:

UPDATERS & TIMERS: What do they do in general and what does the specific parameters listed do.

Instead of RPOS & RVEL, could I replace them with ELEMENT? If so would the correct format be:

ELEMENT 6.941 .0540 64.75 247.87 296.03 145.25 current

I'm a bit unsure of the mean longitude and reference date. I assume that the RPOS & RVEL parameters you listed are converted from the orbital elements I supplied. Is there a calculator that converts the two?

What is AFCMODE?

I don't understand the PRPLEVEL 0:1.000000, why is the level 1 when there is no engine on the sputnik satellite?

I also don't understand what the NAVFREQ and PLAY_SOUND parmaeters are for?

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Couple of questions:

• Does the error message you get state the module where the problem occurs (orbiter.exe or the Sputnik addon dll)?
  • Do you get the same problem for any orbital elements you enter, or are there parameter combinations that work?
  • What happens if instead of creating a new instance of Sputnik, you run a scenario that already contains a Sputnik instance from the start, and use the scenario editor to just modify its parameters to the desired values?
Since you can place a DG at the target elements, it does sound more like a problem with the addon. If you get an error whenever you create a new instance during a simulation, but are able to edit an already existing instance, this may give the addon developer some information to debug the problem.

thammond

Reaction score
Nikogori,

It does not appear your suggestion will work in this case due to the way the addon is coded, see the attached link

Martins,

I did discuss this with the addon developer and the developer believes the issue I had was due to the way the addon was coded, see the attached link. Thanks for your help and input.

http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=35463